The Student Room Group

Studying and working full-time.

I'm planing to study and work full-time. I've heard that the first year it's the easiest one and working full-time won't be a problem. The job I'm doing allows me to study ad well, so it's not that bad. I've also heard that grades from first year don't count to your final graduation, is that true? Anyone have the same plans or it's just me? :biggrin:
Reply 1
Depends how you manage your time and that, I worked 30h a weekend sometimes during the nights 9-3am during the week wasn’t a problem now I’m just on 12h a weekend because of the pandemic
Original post by Anonymous
I'm planing to study and work full-time. I've heard that the first year it's the easiest one and working full-time won't be a problem. The job I'm doing allows me to study ad well, so it's not that bad. I've also heard that grades from first year don't count to your final graduation, is that true? Anyone have the same plans or it's just me? :biggrin:

Which university are you attending?

It's possible to work and study full time, but it takes a lot more discipline to keep on top of it. For some people, they're perfectly okay with it, others may need to defer one module to keep on top. First year is definitely easier and doesn't count in your final classification, though it's important to work hard at it and develop your skills. As you move onto year 2 and 3, things will ramp up a lot and more will be expected of you. So by all means, give it a go but be prepared to take a step back if you feel you're drowning in work.

I did full time study 120 credits in my first year whilst working about 24 hours a week and one module claims to require 16-18 hours of study a week. I found that manageable. I went onto to do 90 credits at one point at level 2 and that was quite a lot but I just about managed it!
Reply 3
Original post by -Eirlys-

It's possible to work and study full time, but it takes a lot more discipline to keep on top of it. For some people, they're perfectly okay with it, others may need to defer one module to keep on top. First year is definitely easier and doesn't count in your final classification, though it's important to work hard at it and develop your skills. As you move onto year 2 and 3, things will ramp up a lot and more will be expected of you. So by all means, give it a go but be prepared to take a step back if you feel you're drowning in work.

I did full time study 120 credits in my first year whilst working about 24 hours a week and one module claims to require 16-18 hours of study a week. I found that manageable. I went onto to do 90 credits at one point at level 2 and that was quite a lot but I just about managed it!

I go to Northumbria uni doing cyber security and I works as doorstaff for bars
Original post by Bunny99
I go to Northumbria uni doing cyber security and I works as doorstaff for bars

um, I was responding to OP?
Reply 5

University of Bedfordshire, Accounting and Finance, during work if it's not too busy J can study few hours per shift.
Reply 6
um, I was responding to OP?

Ooo my bad
Reply 7
During that time have made new friends for longer time? Cause you dont have much free time.
Original post by Anonymous

Hiya!

I think having a job whilst at uni from year 1 to year 3 can work really well as long as you find a good balance. None of my friends throughout uni had a full time job, only part time jobs from 4 hours to 20 hours a week. I think what's most important is how you spend your time and if you think that you can keep on top of your studies whilst working.

Message your unit coordination to find out about your contribution of grades as it would be awful to think your first year doesn't contribute where in fact sometimes it does! Wait until your timetable comes out as you may have a few face to face lectures alongside anywhere from 8-17 contact hours a week for your studies so then you can see if you can work full time alongside learning. It can be a strange first few weeks when starting uni as it can be a really big switch up from a-levels and living at home. Make sure you make time to meet new friends and bond with your housemates as having a good support network when at uni is vital. Perhaps make a pros and cons list to balance out some of your thoughts as well as talking to friends and family to see what advice they can give.

Have the best time at uni! Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
Full time uni + full time job is IMO a bad idea for the really obvious problem.

It'll depend on you, your course, schedule ect ect, But i've never seen anyone properly manage it and plenty of folk even working part time burning out with stress.. 'i'll revise at work!' turned into 'I can't revise properly at work!'. it also turns out a lot of full time employers don't like split commitments.

Even for my HND my uni said to give up ideas of keeping a job going due to the workload and they would meet any lost earnings out the discretionary funding, v much didn't muck about.

Quick Reply

Latest