The Student Room Group

Has there ever been a case where

If Someone didn’t get the right amount of GCSEs or not the correct grade and they still got into Uni to do the course they wanted?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by KueQ22
Someone didn’t get the right amount of GCSEs or not the correct grade and they still got init Uni to do the course they wanted?

You are really being too vague. If I say yes, does that answer your question? Perhaps a little more detail might get you a better answer.
Original post by KueQ22
Sorry. For instance if the requirements for GCSES are atleast a 4 in english and a 6 in maths could they still accept someone despite them not getting a 6 in maths. for example they got a 4.

You're still being too vague as it would help to know what uni and what course but generally speaking, if a uni asks for a 6 they will not accept a 4 or why ask for a 6? Though if you have extenuating circumstances or are older, it's worth contacting the uni directly for advice
Original post by KueQ22
Sorry. For instance if the requirements for GCSES are atleast a 4 in english and a 6 in maths could they still accept someone despite them not getting a 6 in maths. for example they got a 4.

It is always down to the discretion of the university, with the higher you go the more likely they are to require the grade. For example if you got a 4 in maths and they require a 6 its more likely because the degree has some maths content and they need you to be comfortable with basic maths.
Your best bet is simply to retake the exam so it isnt an issue. I believe if you bought poster #4 or #5 a bottle of spirits they would say yes or maybe to give you a bit of hope till August.
Original post by 999tigger
It is always down to the discretion of the university, with the higher you go the more likely they are to require the grade. For example if you got a 4 in maths and they require a 6 its more likely because the degree has some maths content and they need you to be comfortable with basic maths.
Your best bet is simply to retake the exam so it isnt an issue. I believe if you bought poster #4 or #5 a bottle of spirits they would say yes or maybe to give you a bit of hope till August.

I think both #4 and #5 said No in most cases although I could do with the vodka
GCSE requirements are about basic skills - that's why they are usually Maths and English.
The University will know that anyone below those GCSE grades will struggle with the course even if they get the right A levels - and so they set those grades for a good reason. You are two grades below what is required so the chances are you will get a rejection.

Talk to your school - usually you can resit a GCSE alongside your A levels (or BTEC).
You just add it to your UCAS application as another 'pending grade', and if you get an offer, the Uni will just include this as an extra condition.
but say the requirment is a b in maths and b in english (6 very strong b, 5 average b, 4 low b high c) and someone gets the requirment for gcse english and maths and also the a level requirments will they still get accepted into the uni or will someonelse with a higher gcse score e.g. 9 or 8 in eng and maths take your place from the uni like are you not guarenteed the place even if you get the requirment for gcse and a level.
Original post by pratikstalin
but say the requirment is a b in maths and b in english (6 very strong b, 5 average b, 4 low b high c) and someone gets the requirment for gcse english and maths and also the a level requirments will they still get accepted into the uni or will someonelse with a higher gcse score e.g. 9 or 8 in eng and maths take your place from the uni like are you not guarenteed the place even if you get the requirment for gcse and a level.

It depends how applications are 'scored' - each Uni will use different weightings on each section of the application.

If for instance it was - 20% GCSE, 40% A level and 40% Personal Statement, then the GCSE grades have less impact but do form part of the assessment. With a highly competitive course, then yes this could mean the difference between an offer or not. With other courses if may not have any significant impact.

I think you may be overthinking all of this. You wont know how good/bad/whatever everyone else's grades are so you can't possibly work out in advance if you will get an offer or not.
Original post by pratikstalin

No you’re not guaranteed your place just by getting the minimum requirements.
Original post by McGinger
It depends how applications are 'scored' - each Uni will use different weightings on each section of the application.

If for instance it was - 20% GCSE, 40% A level and 40% Personal Statement, then the GCSE grades have less impact but do form part of the assessment. With a highly competitive course, then yes this could mean the difference between an offer or not. With other courses if may not have any significant impact.

I think you may be overthinking all of this. You wont know how good/bad/whatever everyone else's grades are so you can't possibly work out in advance if you will get an offer or not.

oh :frown:
but for the 20% GCSE is it the grades across the board you got or only for relevant GCSE subjects for that course (e.g. engineering course so only maths and physics GCSE) and eng and maths
Yes, there have been examples of this.
It depends on the course, the uni and how flexible their attitude is towards waiving the admissions criteria.
I was offered an undergrad place although I did not comply with the foreign languages at gcse requirements.
Original post by londonmyst
Yes, there have been examples of this.
It depends on the course, the uni and how flexible their attitude is towards waiving the admissions criteria.
I was offered an undergrad place although I did not comply with the foreign languages at gcse requirements.

Oh thats cool. May I know what university and course? If you want to tell me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending