The Student Room Group

What combination of subjects is better? Chem, math, eng + Biology or drama?

Hello everyone!
I'm in year 12. Up to this point I was studying in Poland, then I got a scholarship at a school in UK, so I came here and chose this subjects:

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
English Literature

I am also taking Polish (as it it my native language) and doing an EPQ about Space Medicine.

However, recently I have been wondering whether I should drop Biology and take Drama instead, so the combination would look like this:

Drama
Chemistry
Maths
English lit
(+ polish and an epq)

I am not sure if I should drop Biology or not. I took sciences because taking them translates to having more options to choose from when it comes to Uni courses (you can apply to humanities without humanities subjects, but you can't apply to sciences without science a levels). I have no idea what I want to do in future. I really enjoy writing essays, creative pursuits etc., but I'm not sure if dropping Biology makes any sense. Does it limit my options a lot?

I'm probably better at Humanities, though I have always been quite decent at everything. I just hate the amount of content you need to memorise in Bio.

I plan on applying to Harvard, other top USA unis, Toronto University and some top European universities as well (excluding the ones in the UK).

What combination do you think is better?

I would be grateful for any help!
Original post by olmaika
Hello everyone!
I'm in year 12. Up to this point I was studying in Poland, then I got a scholarship at a school in UK, so I came here and chose this subjects:

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
English Literature

I am also taking Polish (as it it my native language) and doing an EPQ about Space Medicine.

However, recently I have been wondering whether I should drop Biology and take Drama instead, so the combination would look like this:

Drama
Chemistry
Maths
English lit
(+ polish and an epq)

I am not sure if I should drop Biology or not. I took sciences because taking them translates to having more options to choose from when it comes to Uni courses (you can apply to humanities without humanities subjects, but you can't apply to sciences without science a levels). I have no idea what I want to do in future. I really enjoy writing essays, creative pursuits etc., but I'm not sure if dropping Biology makes any sense. Does it limit my options a lot?

I'm probably better at Humanities, though I have always been quite decent at everything. I just hate the amount of content you need to memorise in Bio.

I plan on applying to Harvard, other top USA unis, Toronto University and some top European universities as well (excluding the ones in the UK).

What combination do you think is better?

I would be grateful for any help!

Drama seems a little bit random in my opinion. Biology would be a better fit. However, doing all of that work will be extremely tough. Are you sure you can stay on top of it all?
Reply 2
Original post by DrawTheLine
Drama seems a little bit random in my opinion. Biology would be a better fit. However, doing all of that work will be extremely tough. Are you sure you can stay on top of it all?

To be honest, I’m not sure. I’m in a completely different environment - living in a different country, learning in a different language, far away from my friends and family... At this moment I can’t really stay on top of my emotions, let alone school! But I have never had any problems with learning, I was always doing good academically, so I’m trying to think positively and I will just figure it out as I go along. If this becomes too much, I can always drop something.
Original post by olmaika
To be honest, I’m not sure. I’m in a completely different environment - living in a different country, learning in a different language, far away from my friends and family... At this moment I can’t really stay on top of my emotions, let alone school! But I have never had any problems with learning, I was always doing good academically, so I’m trying to think positively and I will just figure it out as I go along. If this becomes too much, I can always drop something.

That's a good mindset to have. Most people only do 3 A-Levels as that is quite a lot of work. Give it a go and if it does become too much, you can reduce the workload. Best of luck to you!
Guys what should I choose among business or history for A levels.My other subjects are maths and economics I love history and business both but don’t wanna keep both.I’m planning to study anything instead of medicine or engineering in uni in US or UK.Please help
Guys what should I choose among business or history for A levels.My other subjects are maths and economics I love history and business both but don’t wanna keep both.I’m planning to study anything instead of medicine or engineering in uni in US or UK.Please help

Quick Reply

Latest