The Student Room Group

19 still living with parents and still at college

Very embarrassing I know, I don’t have the money to move out, I’m saving up for a car for when I pass my test, I should have a car buy now, I’m a fully grown man. I shouldn’t be at college at this age, it’s embarrassing, I should be working full time and have my own house or at least flat. I just don’t know how I can sort myself out because it’s too late now. I go to college and have a small job which Id rather not say.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Very embarrassing I know, I don’t have the money to move out, I’m saving up for a car for when I pass my test, I should have a car buy now, I’m a fully grown man. I shouldn’t be at college at this age, it’s embarrassing, I should be working full time and have my own house or at least flat. I just don’t know how I can sort myself out because it’s too late now. I go to college and have a small job which Id rather not say.

1) I can understand, I don't have that money either. Times are tough, and my home is quite small, especially for four people, which is how many people live at my home when my sister is at home from Uni over the holidays. I've done quite a few driving lessons, but rather than progressing towards a pass, I didn't even get close to passing my test, and nearly ended up getting disqualified from driving instead. I subsequently gave up, and am grateful that I didn't end up getting convicted and potentially jailed as a result of my past **** ups behind the wheel, I've had a few instructors give up on me so far!

I currently attend my local FE college, and do a couple of GCSEs, GCSE Maths and Psychology there, whilst also doing GCSE Physics and Chemistry from home, and I can understand what you're saying, but I haven't ever had a full time job either, or lived in my own home. I know how to sort myself out though, and change my future for the better, it's never too late. I don't have a job at all, and I'd urge you to persist in studying, it will help you to get the job you want, or go to the Uni you want to attend.

The skills you learn will help you, whether you end up working at the local train, or bus station, the local hospital, the local supermarket, or in a company's office, whether it be one close to home, or far from home, or somewhere different. Keep persisting, and you will get there. I'm 23 by the way.
Reply 2
1) I can understand, I don't have that money either. Times are tough, and my home is quite small, especially for four people, which is how many people live at my home when my sister is at home from Uni over the holidays. I've done quite a few driving lessons, but rather than progressing towards a pass, I didn't even get close to passing my test, and nearly ended up getting disqualified from driving instead. I subsequently gave up, and am grateful that I didn't end up getting convicted and potentially jailed as a result of my past **** ups behind the wheel, I've had a few instructors give up on me so far!

I currently attend my local FE college, and do a couple of GCSEs, GCSE Maths and Psychology there, whilst also doing GCSE Physics and Chemistry from home, and I can understand what you're saying, but I haven't ever had a full time job either, or lived in my own home. I know how to sort myself out though, and change my future for the better, it's never too late. I don't have a job at all, and I'd urge you to persist in studying, it will help you to get the job you want, or go to the Uni you want to attend.

The skills you learn will help you, whether you end up working at the local train, or bus station, the local hospital, the local supermarket, or in a company's office, whether it be one close to home, or far from home, or somewhere different. Keep persisting, and you will get there. I'm 23 by the way.

We are both adults

Urm you are 19? There is nothing wrong with being in college at 19. In fact, your teens and your early 20s should be dedicated to education, as this will set you up for a better salary in the long run. Also, you do not have any money to move out, yet you are saving up for a car. Please. Get your priorities straight. You have a "small" job so how do you expect to pay for insurance, road tax (assuming you do not buy an electric vehicle, which you should, but they are more expensive depending on the make and model), maintenance costs and MOT? Do not say your parents will pay for some of it, as you said yourself, you are a "fully grown man". And please, having your own house or a flat at 19? Unless you have inherited wealth or a steady income already, you really need a reality check.
Original post by onceuponatime1
Urm you are 19? There is nothing wrong with being in college at 19. In fact, your teens and your early 20s should be dedicated to education, as this will set you up for a better salary in the long run. Also, you do not have any money to move out, yet you are saving up for a car. Please. Get your priorities straight. You have a "small" job so how do you expect to pay for insurance, road tax (assuming you do not buy an electric vehicle, which you should, but they are more expensive depending on the make and model), maintenance costs and MOT? Do not say your parents will pay for some of it, as you said yourself, you are a "fully grown man". And please, having your own house or a flat at 19? Unless you have inherited wealth or a steady income already, you really need a reality check.

Exactly. I'm not planning on buying a car anytime soon, even when I do get a licence I intend to use it to drive my company car, and not my own personal vehicle until I at least get some experience driving my company car, and a chance to practice in my Mum's car first. I'm planning on moving out before I even go back to driving lessons, so don't be in a rush to get a car. Unless you want to sleep in it, but I do not recommend that! LOL.
Reply 5
Original post by onceuponatime1

19 and 23 are basically the same age they are both adults college is for 16 to 18s all my mates go uni and ****. I’m paying for my car but So I should be but I’m not exactly buying a merc I’m getting a Vauxhall corsa
Reply 6
Exactly. I'm not planning on buying a car anytime soon, even when I do get a licence I intend to use it to drive my company car, and not my own personal vehicle until I at least get some experience driving my company car, and a chance to practice in my Mum's car first. I'm planning on moving out before I even go back to driving lessons, so don't be in a rush to get a car. Unless you want to sleep in it, but I do not recommend that! LOL.

How old are you?
19 and 23 are basically the same age they are both adults college is for 16 to 18s all my mates go uni and ****. I’m paying for my car but So I should be but I’m not exactly buying a merc I’m getting a Vauxhall corsa

No, you don't need a car to live a fulfilling life. You can travel a lot on the bus and train, and get a taxi for remote locations, it will likely cost you less than purchasing and owning your own car. By all means learn to drive. Once you've passed go for the odd drive in your parents car, and drive your company car, once you get one around. But don't be in a hurry to buy your own car, especially on credit!

How old are you?

I'm 23. Just for the record, I wasn't clear about something in my earlier post. That being when I referred to my company car, I wasn't meaning to be literal there. I don't actually have a company car yet. I meant to say that once I get a company car, then I will intend to use my licence to drive it.

Nothing wrong with living at home. You're studying to better yourself.

I wouldn't buy a car unless you really need one - it'll just delay you being able to afford your own place.

Funnily enough the GCSE courses that I'm doing at City College Norwich, those being GCSE Psychology and Maths, are courses for 19+ year old adults. So not for 16-18 year olds at all!
No, you don't need a car to live a fulfilling life. You can travel a lot on the bus and train, and get a taxi for remote locations, it will likely cost you less than purchasing and owning your own car. By all means learn to drive. Once you've passed go for the odd drive in your parents car, and drive your company car, once you get one around. But don't be in a hurry to buy your own car, especially on credit!

I'm 23. Just for the record, I wasn't clear about something in my earlier post. That being when I referred to my company car, I wasn't meaning to be literal there. I don't actually have a company car yet. I meant to say that once I get a company car, then I will intend to use my licence to drive it.

I didn’t say I need a car for fulfilling life

They are not "basically the same age". If you believe that 19=23, you really should stay in college lol. Also, since you think that 19=23, you really need to mature your language for a supposed 23 year old, since your grammar is really poor. So what if your friends go to university? Everyone in life is at a different stage; so as long as you become closer to self-actualsiing, you are going down the right path. As a 23 year old, I expect you to know what self-actualising is. I do not care whether you are buying a Reliant Robin or a Tesla; the point I made was that you are in no financial position to keep up the cost of maintaining a car. You really need to map out your life ambitions. Also, I forgot to mention the biggest cost of all with a car, and it hits you with a lump sum at the end; depreciation. You do not suffer at the hands of depreciation while using it, but once you go to resell the car, that is when it will hit you; you will have lost thousands of pounds. Do not buy a car; simple. Use public transport and live within your means. Stop thinking about what others at your age are doing, and focus on yourself. I can guarantee your "mates" are not thinking about you ever unless you are talking to them; we all have our own issues, so stop thinking about your reputation and focus on developing yourself. And please, for the love of God, fix your grammar, and this is coming from an agnostic.
I'm 19 and I'm still in college. The youngest on my course is 16 and the oldest is 20. I think it's more common to have older people on your course where I am since education is free for all ages but regardless you should worry less about what other people are doing and focus on yourself and what you want.
Original post by RogerOxon
Nothing wrong with living at home. You're studying to better yourself.

I wouldn't buy a car unless you really need one - it'll just delay you being able to afford your own place.

I want a car though ffs
Funnily enough the GCSE courses that I'm doing at City College Norwich, those being GCSE Psychology and Maths, are courses for 19+ year old adults. So not for 16-18 year olds at all!

You probably get 16 year olds laughing though
Original post by tiktoksensation
I'm 19 and I'm still in college. The youngest on my course is 16 and the oldest is 20. I think it's more common to have older people on your course where I am since education is free for all ages but regardless you should worry less about what other people are doing and focus on yourself and what you want.

I just want a house, better job and a good car

You're 19. You have so much time ahead of you to get all of these things. Walk before you can run.
You're 19. You have so much time ahead of you to get all of these things. Walk before you can run.

I don’t know
I want a car though ffs

I want to drive a train though. But I accept that getting that job might not be possible, and that I might have to settle for another, possibly less fulfilling job instead. It's life. It happens. Get over it.
You probably get 16 year olds laughing though

No I don't. City College students are way nicer and more civilised than that these days.

I want a house, a job, and a good car too, but I'm not going to rush getting the job and car, then move onto the house. I'd rather sort out the job and house first, then move onto the car. It's life. If that's how I do things at 23, maybe you should do things that way too.

Exactly. I'm 23 and I don't even have a driving licence, so I can't drive a company car yet. Let alone buy myself a car. But I can still get to college on the bus, and that's all that matters.
I want to drive a train though. But I accept that getting that job might not be possible, and that I might have to settle for another, possibly less fulfilling job instead. It's life. It happens. Get over it.

No I don't. City College students are way nicer and more civilised than that these days.

I want a house, a job, and a good car too, but I'm not going to rush getting the job and car, then move onto the house. I'd rather sort out the job and house first, then move onto the car. It's life. If that's how I do things at 23, maybe you should do things that way too.

Exactly. I'm 23 and I don't even have a driving licence, so I can't drive a company car yet. Let alone buy myself a car. But I can still get to college on the bus, and that's all that matters.

I just don’t want to be like this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending