The Student Room Group

Issues with my first car

Brought my first car recently. Got some issues but they're all minor. However there are some other issues I'm slightly worried about. Its a 1.0 2004 yaris. So starting with biggest first.

The car does hit speed bumps, even after slowing down. My dad's yaris isn't like this. So is this an issue with the shock absorber or coil springs? All 4 coils did come up as an advisory on the last mot so my suspicions seem right.

When cold it takes about 2 seconds to start the engine. Doesn't feel like it happens straight away. I'm guessing spark plugs or battery.

Interior light doesnt work

Near side indicator cover is broken but indicator flashes.

Rear driver door doesnt open from inside only outside. Hoping it's a loose string or something easy but not the end of the world If I can't fix it.

Gas struts on the boot is weak, I replaced it on my dad's one took me 5 minutes with a flathead screwdriver and is working good now. So will get it solved

Alloys don't have locking wheel nuts so will get it (I don't trust anyone I'm guessing people will steal alloy wheels).

2 keys but the ones with buttons has the buttons missing and the battery is flat.

So whilst everything is stuff I can do myself, I'm slightly concerned about the suspension? Wonder what it can be. And for reference I'm doing everything by the book, logbook is changing and coming through the post? Car is sorn and on my cousins driveway. No insurance but hopefully it doesn't get stolen (there's better cars to steal).
Reply 1
All the springs do is hold the car up. The shocks control the movement up and down. What do you mean by "the car does hit speed bumps"?! Do you mean the underside of the car makes contact with the road?! At what point of the speed bump does the car contact? You may have a different bumper or slightly lower suspension, or different sized tyres. Without knowing what part of the car is hitting what part of the speed bump it's impossible to say.

If the springs are advisories then you can either replace them or leave them. I've had springs recorded as advisories for years before they eventually lost a coil or two. Shocks fail far more often than springs. You can do a "bounce test" on each corner of the car if you like. Use your hand and body weight to start bouncing the car up and down. Let go - the car should stop bouncing almost immediately. If it continues to bounce then the shocks are 100% done. I've had cars pass the bounce test with blown shocks though.

Has the engine had a full service yet? New spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter. Clean all engine grounds with a wire brush - do a voltage drop test if you have a multimeter for all grounds, and power cables to the starter motor and alternator.

Have you replaced the interior light bulb yet? You can get indicator lamps second hand on eBay very cheaply. Replace the boot struts with new ones again from eBay. You can get a replacement key body with new button rubbers again on eBay. Just transfer the key blade, microchip, and immobiliser chip across from your old key. Don't bother with the locking wheel nut set. You'll only lose the key for it. No one's going to be stealing alloys off a 16 year old Yaris :rolleyes:

Sounds like a bit of a shed if I'm honest! Hope you didn't pay too much for it..
Original post by Nuffles
Sounds like a bit of a shed if I'm honest! Hope you didn't pay too much for it..

It'll have been stolen/cut'n'shut/generally dodgified :tongue:
Original post by Nadim Chowdhury
Brought my first car recently. Got some issues but they're all minor. However there are some other issues I'm slightly worried about. Its a 1.0 2004 yaris. So starting with biggest first.

The car does hit speed bumps, even after slowing down. My dad's yaris isn't like this. So is this an issue with the shock absorber or coil springs? All 4 coils did come up as an advisory on the last mot so my suspicions seem right.

When cold it takes about 2 seconds to start the engine. Doesn't feel like it happens straight away. I'm guessing spark plugs or battery.

Rear driver door doesnt open from inside only outside. Hoping it's a loose string or something easy but not the end of the world If I can't fix it.

Gas struts on the boot is weak, I replaced it on my dad's one took me 5 minutes with a flathead screwdriver and is working good now. So will get it solved

Alloys don't have locking wheel nuts so will get it (I don't trust anyone I'm guessing people will steal alloy wheels).

2 keys but the ones with buttons has the buttons missing and the battery is flat.

So whilst everything is stuff I can do myself, I'm slightly concerned about the suspension? Wonder what it can be. And for reference I'm doing everything by the book, logbook is changing and coming through the post? Car is sorn and on my cousins driveway. No insurance but hopefully it doesn't get stolen (there's better cars to steal).

I agree with Nuffles, do the bounce test as that's the easiest way to test the shocks. And maybe you need to upsize your alloys if the car is scraping against speed bumps.

Jump the battery and leave the car on for 30mins to recharge it. If the battery dies again; you need to replace it as its lost its retention.

The last thing that'll happen is that it gets stolen, unless you leave the door opens (that's asking for a robbery). You don't need locking wheel nuts either, not like you got high-end alloys like the diamond cut alloys on high spec Audis.

Everything else you've stated is kind of minor, plus judging by the issues I'd assume you likewise didn't pay that much for it either.

It's a 04 1.0l Yaris uno, you shouldn't hold high expectations for these old cars. Just drive the car for the year (get that NCB) and sell it on.

Get some breakdown cover as a preventive measure in case you breakdown driving the Yaris.
(edited 3 years ago)
2 seconds to start is good. It allows the oil to circulate a bit before the engine fires up.

Rear door, check it's not on the child safety setting. When you open the door there should be a small lever that you change to allow opening from the inside. Owner's manual should show you how to do this. Or google.

Indicator. Replace the cover from a scrap yard or used off ebay.

Interior light. Check the switch settings. Then replace bulb / check fuse. It's no big deal if it never works. Just use a torch. Car still drives OK without interior lights.

I hate locking wheel nuts. I always replace them with standard nuts. Having rounded off locking nuts is a right pain when you want to put on a spare wheel after a puncture. I carry around a long breaker bar, as the standard wheel bolt wrenches are a joke for getting wheel bolts off.

The speed bump thing. Does the car look noticeably saggy? If it does, get it sorted. If not, you could just adjust your driving style when going over speed bumps. An MOT test should give you a good idea of any major suspension issues.

Think about getting a dashcam. Declare it to the insurer. And they should give you a nice little discount off the insurance costs that will offset the dashcam cost. Plus most important of all, in the event of an accident you will have some good evidence.

And congratulations on buying a sensible car for a sensible price. When you get a big bill for it, eg new clutch, that will probably be time to send it to the scrap yard and buy another car for £1000 or less.
It seems like a shame to just keep it on the drive. Try to get it road legal and use it.
Reply 5
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Think about getting a dashcam. Declare it to the insurer. And they should give you a nice little discount off the insurance costs that will offset the dashcam cost. Plus most important of all, in the event of an accident you will have some good evidence.

I tried declaring mine to Admiral a couple of years ago. They told me they didn't care and it wouldn't lead to a discount.

Everyone should have one though. I've been running one for six or seven years and never actually needed to use it for my own insurance but I have had a handful of decent clips out of it. I did offer footage to someone who got rear ended as well. It is very nice having your own proof in the case of someone else not playing fair.
Original post by Nuffles
I tried declaring mine to Admiral a couple of years ago. They told me they didn't care and it wouldn't lead to a discount.

Everyone should have one though. I've been running one for six or seven years and never actually needed to use it for my own insurance but I have had a handful of decent clips out of it. I did offer footage to someone who got rear ended as well. It is very nice having your own proof in the case of someone else not playing fair.

I'm with Admiral. At the point where they ask, does the car have any modifications I say "Yes, it has a Dashcam fitted."
This has always led to them adding the dashcam as a modification and a reduction in the price of my insurance.
Reply 7
Original post by Nuffles

Admiral wanted to increase mine for declaring a dashcam 🙄
Original post by IWMTom
Admiral wanted to increase mine for declaring a dashcam 🙄

Admiral make no sense to me, I started driving and my premiums just kept climbing, adding my accident free mum to it would spike it as well, I literally had to write a car off and buy a more dangerous one before they started giving me discounts and NCBs, I just had to play hard to get I think. I'm hopeful If I jump to a V6 they'd reduce it further or send me a free gift.

khobis foola.. :smile:
Thank you all for the response. I've tested the shocks with the bump test and it's looking fine, I might try get my dad to park his yaris next to mine so I can see if there's a visible difference, if not then I literally have no clue and take it to a mechanic to diagnose it.

I've done the boot struts, side indicator light and interior light. Realised i could've nicked the side indicator off the many yaris on my street! But for £10 I got it honestly off ebay. Karma would've bit me if I did that. I disconnected one boot strut and moved it out the way thinking the other strut will hold it up, but nope it landed on my head and nearly took me out 😂😂😂. Now I understand why the YouTube video used a gearbox lift to keep the tailgate up.

I nearly got the rear door card off to see what's wrong with the door handle. It's not childlock because it doesn't open from inside on both settings. The handle feels odd from the inside so that gives me a slight clue. I got stuck taking off the window lever so left it, rear door is not the end of the world, I'm driving my first car not a minicab.

I'm doing a level 2 motor vehicle technician course at college and lo and behold today I seperated the springs from the shocks from a w reg vectra. Was watching a video on the yaris and it's basically the same thing. I'll lift my car up and check the springs, if it does look quite bad I'll replace it. If not then I don't even know, I'll have someone to have a look.

I start the car everyday and move it forward and back about 5 m, but not anymore or I'll be on the road and if caught that would be my license gone (before I even properly start driving).

Service parts are coming from euro car parts, and I'll service it apart from oil and oil filter, will do that the day before my policy is starting. I love my little yaris a lot, it's perfect for me. I paid a cheap price, and I roughly know what it needs. The guy was asking for a cheap price, and yet I had the cheek to offer him a lower price, and we met in the middle.

V5 arrived so it's officially mine. I don't understand how my car is still taxed but I'm not complaining over free tax. If it shows up as untaxed I'll sorn it. I know the tax doesn't come with a new owner so maybe it's glitched, I don't know.

It is sad to see it not being on the road like it should be, but for now I'm saving up for my insurance policy. I need about one months wage for it and in about 5 weeks my insurance goes down because I would have 1 year license. Also gives me time to perfect my car.

My yaris just is such a beast, and hopefully under my ownership will last 10 years! (Might give it to my dad I'm not sure but for now I'm happy with it).

I apologise for the late response, college and work takes so much time and tsr isn't on my head!
Forgot to mention what I meant by speed bump issues. At 20mph in my dad's yaris, it jumps over the speed bump, and 10mph in my yaris the underside of the car (I'm guessing under the engine) is hitting the speed bump and making a sort of crunch noise (If yk what I mean).

And I've decided against locking wheel nuts :smile: (I'm not paying for a headache, I want easy access and work on my own car)
Reply 12
Forgot to mention what I meant by speed bump issues. At 20mph in my dad's yaris, it jumps over the speed bump, and 10mph in my yaris the underside of the car (I'm guessing under the engine) is hitting the speed bump and making a sort of crunch noise (If yk what I mean).

And I've decided against locking wheel nuts :smile: (I'm not paying for a headache, I want easy access and work on my own car)

No part of your car other than your tyres should ever make contact with the ground. If it does, you're doing something horribly wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest