The Student Room Group

Possible to resit after graduation?

It may seem like a stupid thing to ask but is it possible to go back and try and improve your degree classification after you have graduated?

I ask this because I graduated in 2007 with a 2:2, i was pretty disappointed by it but I had mitigating circumstances, i hate using that as an excuse, uni didnt take it into account and i was awarded a 2:2.

Now a year on ive finished the LPC with 60% average but i still havent got any sign of a TC. I know as soon as most employers see a 2:2 its immediatley rejected and I know this is a real barrier for me now. If there would be anyway of retaking my 3rd year now i would take it to push my degree up to a 2:1.

What other options are open to me? I could do a masters and im currently trying to get paralegal work to gain experience, ive already got 4 work experiences on my CV with another on the way, but im just running out of hope now and wonder if anyone has any advice on my best option.

Has anyone else had experiences like this and what did you do?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
My cousin went back and retook modules to push his 2:2 up to a 2:1... He wasn't studying law. Maybe the fact that you've already completed the LPC could be a barrier... I don't see why though...
Reply 2
As you have mitigating circumstances, firms shouldn't really hold your grade against you too much. Try and demonstrate how you have made up for this.
Reply 3
S.C.M.
As you have mitigating circumstances, firms shouldn't really hold your grade against you too much. Try and demonstrate how you have made up for this.

Doesnt this work only in theory ?
Also, when you retake a module, and not a whole year, I heard you can only gain 40 %, so it's just passed, so I guess that you would have to take the whole year.

How about the firms you had summer placements with, did you apply to them for TC ?
Reply 4
I've never heard of a university that would allow you to resit just to try and bump up your marks, let alone post-graduation. I wouldn't bother with a masters either - law firms don't seem to hold them in high regard and many state that a masters will not 'make up' for a 2.2.

Keep trying to find a paralegal job and other relevant work experience, and maybe set your sights a little lower with regard to the type of firms you're applying to. If your mitigating circumstances are good, call HR before you submit applications, explain them and ask whether your form will still be considered despite the 2.2 - this way you may be able to bypass any automatic filters.
You say that because you have mitigating circumstances the grade shouldn't be held against you but unfortunately your uni didn't take it into account which surely means that if they didn't consider it mitigating enough to incrase your grade, surely employers also won't?

Also, I've never heard of resits being allowed (like they are in a-levels) purely for the purpose of increasing a grade at uni. Your first time grade always stays on your final transcript even if you fail, which is why a fail can be so devastating, and something just gets put next to it to indicate that you passed at the second attempt. Unfortunately, that's the way life is. If we let everyone resit as much as they wanted then rich people would all eventually get a first if they could afford to be students forever.
you can, and Iā€™m in the process of deciding to retake a module, even though I have just graduated because I have mit circs and need to desperately bump up my mark and want an accredited degree, right now I have a pass for an Honours degree and my current qualification is non-accredited, but I want a Second class degree at least. Try talking to your course leader and module leaders. May help.
Original post by _justscience
you can, and Iā€™m in the process of deciding to retake a module, even though I have just graduated because I have mit circs and need to desperately bump up my mark and want an accredited degree, right now I have a pass for an Honours degree and my current qualification is non-accredited, but I want a Second class degree at least. Try talking to your course leader and module leaders. May help.

The thread is 12 years old.
Not something I have ever heard about and would be a massive exception once the deadline for mit circs has passed.

Quick Reply

Latest