The Student Room Group

Profit question

Please refer to the attachment.
The answer explanation tells us:
0.89x1792= 1594.88 profit lost. This doesn't quite make sense as they haven't considered the cost.

(still quite unsure about this question so please do put your ideas in)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by As.1997
Please refer to the attachment.

??
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
??

Just edited - with the attachment
Original post by As.1997
Just edited - with the attachment

We just need to consider the lost profit which is related to the waste.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
We just need to consider the lost profit which is related to the waste.

Shouldn't they say "lost revenue" as "lost profit" to me means find the lost revenue and exclude the cost to get the lost profit?
Original post by As.1997
Shouldn't they say "lost revenue" as "lost profit" to me means find the lost revenue and exclude the cost to get the lost profit?

Sorry I need to go - read the question again - I think you have misunderstood.
Reply 6
The long winded explanation shows this is correct, i.e. the lost profit.

However the short solution misses out an explanation. Let P, Pa, S and C be the theoretical profit, actual profit, theoretical sales and cost respectively. Then
Pa = 0.77S - C
So this is the profit on what the store sells.
P = S - C
This is the theoretical profit.
Subtract the two gives
P-Pa = 0.23S
It looks like revenue as it only depends on sales, but it is the lost profit. The production cost information is subtracted out.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
The long winded explanation shows this is correct, i.e. the lost profit.

However the short solution misses out an explanation. Let P, Pa, S and C be the theoretical profit, actual profit, theoretical sales and cost respectively. Then
Pa = 0.77S - C
So this is the profit on what the store sells.
P = S - C
This is the theoretical profit.
Subtract the two gives
P-Pa = 0.23S
It looks like revenue as it only depends on sales, but it is the lost profit. The production cost information is subtracted out.

Perfect. Thank you!
I didn't recognize it was the same thing until you showed it algebraically. Without the proof, I find it difficult to see how the selling price x no. of wasted items = lost profit, so I guess I would be forced to do it the long way?
Reply 8
Original post by As.1997
Perfect. Thank you!
I didn't recognize it was the same thing until you showed it algebraically. Without the proof, I find it difficult to see how the selling price x no. of wasted items = lost profit, so I guess I would be forced to do it the long way?

Or write the information down clearly like that.
Sometimes intuition fails us and either you need to explicitly state the info or work it out the long way. The Monty Hall problem is a good example where intuition is often wrong.
Reply 9
Original post by As.1997
Perfect. Thank you!

The "obvious" way of looking at it is that you've already spent the money on priduction, so any revenue gained from selling "waste" is pure profit. Therefore the profit difference is the revenue gained from selling the wastage.

Obviously, this "obvious" is an hour or so later.
Reply 10
Original post by mqb2766
The "obvious" way of looking at it is that you've already spent the money on priduction, so any revenue gained from selling "waste" is pure profit. Therefore the profit difference is the revenue gained from selling the wastage.

Obviously, this "obvious" is an hour or so later.

That makes sense. Though it is still quite funny :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest