The Student Room Group

Maths Paper 1 help needed:)

I m doing CAIE past papers please reach out at me if you have solved Paper 1- Variant 1 Summer 2019? Please emergency
If you put the question you’re stuck on in the forum people can try to guide you
Original post by Samavi16
I m doing CAIE past papers please reach out at me if you have solved Paper 1- Variant 1 Summer 2019? Please emergency

Post the question.
Reply 3
2CEAC41F-4CA9-4B5F-8C17-7062DC8CAD54.jpg.jpeg
This I can’t understand how to attempt it
the image is not clear, but it is about a line meeting a curve as a tangent.

here is a similar example:

y = ax + b

y = x2 - 3x - 1

where they meet we can say

x2 - 3x - 1 = ax + b

which rearranges to give

x2 -3x -ax -1-b = 0

for a tangent this must have only one (repeated) root....
Reply 6
The line 4y=x+c ,where c is a constant,is a tangent to the curve y^2 =x+3 at the point P on the curve.
(i) Find the value of c.
Reply 7
The line 4y=x+c ,where c is a constant,is a tangent to the curve y^2 =x+3 at the point P on the curve.
(i) Find the value of c.

Have you looked at the example given by the bear above and tried to follow the logic?
Reply 8
Original post by davros
Have you looked at the example given by the bear above and tried to follow the logic?

But it s inverse and the marking scheme states that I should use quadratics? I m trying I think I made a mistake
Reply 9
But it s inverse and the marking scheme states that I should use quadratics? I m trying I think I made a mistake

What do you mean by "inverse"?

It's an example of a line being tangent to a curve and leads to a quadratic equation, and that requirement implies a certain condition on the roots of the quadratic.
Reply 10
I m thinking of another question I m sorry
Reply 11
I m thinking of another question I m sorry

So have you managed to sort out the question involving the line being tangent to the curve?
Reply 12
Yes thank you for the help

Quick Reply

Latest