The Student Room Group

GCSE

Is it possible to take GCSE exams on your own?
If yes, I'd like to know what I have to do and where I have to go to do the exams.

Thanks!
Reply 1
You find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college, plus some private places) willing to accept you as a private candidate. You tell them exactly what you want to take (e.g. AQA GCSE Physics, Higher Tier) and pay them and they arrange it.
Original post by Benedetta Angela
Is it possible to take GCSE exams on your own?
If yes, I'd like to know what I have to do and where I have to go to do the exams.

Thanks!

Yes, just find an exam centre- however you will have to pay.
Original post by ItsAlicia
Yes, just find an exam centre- however you will have to pay.

Thanks for your reply!
Do you know how much it is?
Reply 4

The exam board charges the centre around £40 per GCSE, but the centre will add on a charge for their expertise, admin, invigilation etc. For a 100% exam GCSE with no special requirements (e.g. no speaking exam, no access arrangements such as extra time or a room on your own) expect to pay £100-200 per GCSE.
(edited 3 years ago)
Thanks for your reply!

Around £100 per exam paper. So for example maths has 3 papers so it would be around £300/£400 for that qualification alone.
That’s what I found they cost when I researched most exam centres.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Around £100 per exam paper. So for example maths has 3 papers so it would be around £300/£400 for that qualification alone.

Does anywhere still charge per paper? They used to when GCSEs and A levels were modular but you now can't enter per paper so it makes no sense to charge per paper - the exam boards charge pretty much the same whether a qualification has 1 paper or 3.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Compost
The exam board charges the centre around £40 per GCSE, but the centre will add on a charge for their expertise, admin, invigilation etc. For a 100% exam GCSE with no special requirements (e.g. no speaking exam, no access arrangements such as extra time or a room on your own) expect to pay £100-200 per GCSE.

Alright, thank you very much!

Alright, thanks!
Many thanks for the links!

No problem, hope they are useful!

Quick Reply

Latest