The Student Room Group

best uni for French? help!!

I have just left year 13 and I'm currently applying to universities. These are : UCL, Kings College London, University of London Institute in Paris (ULIP), Bristol and Exeter.

I was wondering which would be the best to do French and Italian (ab initio) and if anyone could let me know their experiences?

I recieved the grades AAB with a B in Biology and was wondering if the B would hinder my application at all or if anyone could let me know what offers they got for studying the same course at the universities im applying to.
I recieved 9999887777 at GCSE if that makes any difference.

Any help is appreciated!!

Scroll to see replies

All fantastic for languages, you can't go wrong with any of those. But just a suggestion- have you considered Edinburgh? They are excellent for languages and as it's a Scottish university, your peers doing any subject at undergrad will also be doing a four year course so you'll be able to live with/hang out with the same people all the way through.
Original post by aquarajr20
I have just left year 13 and I'm currently applying to universities. These are : UCL, Kings College London, University of London Institute in Paris (ULIP), Bristol and Exeter.

I was wondering which would be the best to do French and Italian (ab initio) and if anyone could let me know their experiences?

I recieved the grades AAB with a B in Biology and was wondering if the B would hinder my application at all or if anyone could let me know what offers they got for studying the same course at the universities im applying to.

London offers a very differnt experience to Bristol/Exeter - many people avoid London for that reason.

I would look at Exeter and Bristol personally. What do your teachers think?
Reply 3

Have you checked that Italian ab initio would be available at the University of London Institute in Paris? I've just had a quick look and couldn't see it listed as an option.
(edited 3 years ago)
Look also at which Unis the Year Abroad could be at.
As one example, Bristol includes Université Sorbonne Nouvelle Paris, and the University of Geneva : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/global-opportunities/go-abroad/search/
Reply 5
Original post by historynerd47
All fantastic for languages, you can't go wrong with any of those. But just a suggestion- have you considered Edinburgh? They are excellent for languages and as it's a Scottish university, your peers doing any subject at undergrad will also be doing a four year course so you'll be able to live with/hang out with the same people all the way through.

I honestly hadn't really thought about Scottish universities but I will definitely have a look into it, thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by Kerzen
Have you checked that Italian ab initio would be available at the University of London Institute in Paris? I've just had a quick look and couldn't see it listed as an option.

I'll be applying for french studies at ULIP :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
Look also at which Unis the Year Abroad could be at.
As one example, Bristol includes Université Sorbonne Nouvelle Paris, and the University of Geneva : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/global-opportunities/go-abroad/search/

thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
London offers a very differnt experience to Bristol/Exeter - many people avoid London for that reason.

I would look at Exeter and Bristol personally. What do your teachers think?

Thank you! I'm currently taking a gap year so not really receiving much support from teachers :frown:
Thank you! I'm currently taking a gap year so not really receiving much support from teachers :frown:

OK - Exeter is popular with my ex-students who've done languages.
I honestly hadn't really thought about Scottish universities but I will definitely have a look into it, thank you!

No worries, it's worth a look at least :smile:
Personally I'd go with:
1) UCL
2) Kings
3) Exeter
4) Bristol
5) ULIP
I think that they all have a decent reputation, except for ULIP, I'd say that people go there more for the experience rather than the academic prestige (that's just my opinion though maybe others would argue differently).
I put UCL and Kings at the top because I know people who studied languages there and adored it! It's in the city, close to France if you ever want to go spend the weekend, has great Year Abroad opportunities.
Exeter and Bristol are similarly incredible, I would say just a tiny bit less but I wouldn't disregard them by any means.
You should also consider what kind of campus you want. City or more campus-y.
Original post by chloenix
Kings at the top.... It's in the city, close to France

London is not 'close to France', and both Bristol and Exeter have international airports with direct flights to France - I think you may need to expand your world view a bit.
Original post by McGinger
London is not 'close to France', and both Bristol and Exeter have international airports with direct flights to France - I think you may need to expand your world view a bit.

It's certainly closer, and more convenient to get to France than from Exeter and Bristol.

The downside is that London is expensive.
Reply 14
Personally I'd go with:
1) UCL
2) Kings
3) Exeter
4) Bristol
5) ULIP
I think that they all have a decent reputation, except for ULIP, I'd say that people go there more for the experience rather than the academic prestige (that's just my opinion though maybe others would argue differently).
I put UCL and Kings at the top because I know people who studied languages there and adored it! It's in the city, close to France if you ever want to go spend the weekend, has great Year Abroad opportunities.
Exeter and Bristol are similarly incredible, I would say just a tiny bit less but I wouldn't disregard them by any means.

At the moment my list is pretty much the same. If I get an offer from UCL I'm pretty sure I'm going to put it as my first choice, I was only slightly put off by some people saying its extremely lonely but hearing that people have had great experiences reassures me. Thank you for the help!
At the moment my list is pretty much the same. If I get an offer from UCL I'm pretty sure I'm going to put it as my first choice, I was only slightly put off by some people saying its extremely lonely but hearing that people have had great experiences reassures me. Thank you for the help!

Oh cool! As I said though, I think that wherever you go you will definitley enjoy it! All of these universities are great choices anyway there's no bad choices here!
Personally I'd go with:
1) UCL
2) Kings
3) Exeter
4) Bristol
5) ULIP

London unis are not the place to go for languages ... London is not 'near France' by what definition is it 'near'?
London unis are not the place to go for languages ... London is not 'near France' by what definition is it 'near'?

If you believe that London unis are not good for languages then explain your reasoning to OP, not me. I'm not the one applying for languages...

And London might not be geographically nearer, but it's certainly easier to get from London to Paris.
Firstly you have the Eurostar at St Pancras, in central London. It usually takes about 30 minutes at security and then you'll be in central Paris in over an hour, without having to go through any passport control on the other side, or without having to drive closer to Paris like you would if you took the plane.
I recognise that you could take the plane from both Exeter and Bristol, but it would be less convenient considering that security control takes a long time and they recommend that you arrive at the airport around 2 hours before the flight. Not to mention on the other side you'd have another round of security checks.

And if you want to drive down, google estimates that it would take 9 hours from London, 10 hours from Bristol and 11 hours from Exeter. This is because of the fact that the Eurotunnel/ferry ports are more easily accessible from London.

So, yes. It is probably 'nearer' to get from London to Paris or London to France. Not geographically, but in terms of the time it will take.
If you believe that London unis are not good for languages then explain your reasoning to OP, not me. I'm not the one applying for languages...

Where is your evidence that they are good for languages? You were the one recommending them.
Where is your evidence that they are good for languages? You were the one recommending them.

I think UCL and Kings are good for languages due to personal experience from my family who studied Italian, German and French there, and believed the standard of teaching was incredibly high and they believed London was a city that was suited for language learning. Plus the fact that London is called 'France's 6th city' for a reason, you're bound to meet many French natives to enhance the experience.

Quick Reply