The Student Room Group

Do you think that face masks do anything?

I would like to hear your opinion about it!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's just a token gesture. It does very little in protecting you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Face coverings aren't medical PPE, so they aren't meant to be airtight.

However they do stop in the majority of inbound/outbound exhaled droplets, so they are 100% worth wearing.
Idk why don't you ask the millions of surgical teams that have worn one over the past..ooh...idk century?
Yep definitely. If someone coughs/sneezes or talks loudly, then the mask will definitely stop the droplets from spreading as far and infecting other people with potential coronavirus.
They're not perfect, but have been shown to reduce the distance of spread when coughing, talking etc in experiments.

Whether that translates to real life reduction of spread on a population level is less certain. Especially when you factor in human behaviors such as constantly touching the mask, then interacting with the environment without handwashing.

There has also been evidence to say that different materials have varying levels of efficacy. Some home-made face coverings have been shown to actually worsen spread of particulates.
(edited 3 years ago)
If I were to listen to the Government the answer would be "No? Yes? What was the question?".

But no, I don't think my "face covering" does anything at all apart give people a false sense of security.
A766B438-6A3E-4ED6-B715-C694E8AB5011.jpg.jpeg
Original post by Mr T 999
It's just a token gesture. It doesn't very little in protecting you.

Okay!
Original post by Admit-One
Face coverings aren't medical PPE, so they aren't meant to be airtight.

However they do stop in the majority of inbound/outbound exhaled droplets, so they are 100% worth wearing.

Okay!
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
Idk why don't you ask the millions of surgical teams that have worn one over the past..ooh...idk century?

I'm sorry but am I aloud to ask the community?
I just want other ppl opinions because I find that some ppl think it does and does.
Original post by ellasimmons24
Yep definitely. If someone coughs/sneezes or talks loudly, then the mask will definitely stop the droplets from spreading as far and infecting other people with potential coronavirus.

Okay!
Original post by Etomidate
They're not perfect, but have been shown to reduce the distance of spread when coughing, talking etc in experiments.

Whether that translates to real life reduction of spread on a population level is less certain. Especially when you factor in human behaviors such as constantly touching the mask, then interacting with the environment without handwashing.

There has also been evidence to say that different materials have varying levels of efficacy. Some home-made face coverings have been shown to actually worsen spread of particulates.

Thanks!
Original post by DiddyDec
If I were to listen to the Government the answer would be "No? Yes? What was the question?".

But no, I don't think my "face covering" does anything at all apart give people a false sense of security.

Thanks!
Original post by Sofie Rose
I'm sorry but am I aloud to ask the community?
I just want other ppl opinions because I find that some ppl think it does and does.

And you got my opinion, what's the problem?
And you got my opinion, what's the problem?

Nothing.

Sorry
Yes, I do think face masks protect us. Even if it lessens the spread of germs by 1%, still worth it.
Reply 13
Original post by YellowLotus

That poster is flawed, fatally.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by YellowLotus

If someone is wearing clothes can you still smell their farts?
If someone is wearing clothes can you still smell their farts?

This thread from a chemist explains why the molecules in a fart can pass through face coverings and why it does not apply to COVID:

https://twitter.com/MakalMakal/status/1253480498032238596
Original post by Admit-One
This thread from a chemist explains why the molecules in a fart can pass through face coverings and why it does not apply to COVID:

https://twitter.com/MakalMakal/status/1253480498032238596

That is actually quite interesting, thank you :h:
tbh the blue ones dont help at all i think the fabric ones are better
That is actually quite interesting, thank you :h:

No problem. I've instinctively held things up to smell them whilst wearing a mask but that thread explained why it was not so daft :smile:

you realise thats to stop saliva going over the patient right? coughing directly into someones kidney is a lot different from coughing in public.

Quick Reply

Latest