The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official Oxford 2021 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by k92e67
Im asking a few friends who are good with these things and one or two professors im somewhat close with (who are also doing my references).

Hopefully within the next two weeks, what about you?

Ah that makes sense, I was thinking of that too but feel like its asking too much of the professors who are writing references already, but I'll have to do that. Thank you :smile: I'm aiming to apply by the end of October, but depending on how my supporting docs go it might be a bit later - goodluck with your application hope it goes well for you !:smile:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Hi guys. I am currently at UCL, have a first (hopefully will maintain it) and am planning on applying for the MSc International Health and Tropical Medicine. I'm a bit worried about competition for public health masters with COVID but hopefully coming from a public health undergrad will help.

Current source of anxiety is the PS and academic CV. Constantly feel like im missing out key things or allocating space to the wrong areas :/
Reply 82
Original post by ecfapplications
Hi guys. I am currently at UCL, have a first (hopefully will maintain it) and am planning on applying for the MSc International Health and Tropical Medicine. I'm a bit worried about competition for public health masters with COVID but hopefully coming from a public health undergrad will help.

Current source of anxiety is the PS and academic CV. Constantly feel like im missing out key things or allocating space to the wrong areas :/

Good luck! the PS is a thing of evil.. I've spent so long on it (since like August) and still need to spend another week possibly two on it. I just wonder if all this effort is really worth it for a relatively small (?) part of the application process. I don't know...
Original post by k92e67
Good luck! the PS is a thing of evil.. I've spent so long on it (since like August) and still need to spend another week possibly two on it. I just wonder if all this effort is really worth it for a relatively small (?) part of the application process. I don't know...

Yeah its hard bc i think its quite important but then i have to remind myself not to be too hard on myself bc its not the only thing they are assessing...im sure it depends on the department what they weigh as being more important in their consideration. End of the day we just have to do the best with the time we have and just include what we think is important rather than stressing about what we think they want to hear
- Current University: Exeter
- Current Course: Law
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 2:1 (1st)
- Prospective Course: MSc Latin American Studies
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Exeter, Bristol, LSE, Cambridge MPhil, some non-UK ones

Anyone wanting to apply to MSc/MPhil LatAm or St Anthony's College?? Would be great to get to know you guys even if we don't all end up getting in hahaha!
I’m thinking of applying for the MSc criminology and criminal justice, but I’m not too confident in my chances. Anyone applying with a first class undergrad but no traditional A Levels and horrific GCSEs?
Original post by Gingersnap14
I’m thinking of applying for the MSc criminology and criminal justice, but I’m not too confident in my chances. Anyone applying with a first class undergrad but no traditional A Levels and horrific GCSEs?

if it helps - i know someone who got in to postgrad (not the same course as you but similar) who was in a very similar situation. From what ive heard from my tutors generally, they tend more to take into account your PS and your references, and sometimes having lower grades at gcse/alevel but a great undergrad degree is even a great demonstrator of improvement, i dont think this discounts you at all!

Do we have to include our GCSEs and A-Levels?? lol, I've no chance!! :eek: Yes I'm in the same boat as you!
Original post by kp07l
if it helps - i know someone who got in to postgrad (not the same course as you but similar) who was in a very similar situation. From what ive heard from my tutors generally, they tend more to take into account your PS and your references, and sometimes having lower grades at gcse/alevel but a great undergrad degree is even a great demonstrator of improvement, i dont think this discounts you at all!

Original post by Bookish_much
Do we have to include our GCSEs and A-Levels?? lol, I've no chance!! :eek: Yes I'm in the same boat as you!

an amendment to my original reply lol: i looked it up and actually we dont have to hahaha, the only place they'd be is on cv, they judge grades on uni only https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/applying-to-oxford/application-guide/supporting-documents#content-tab--2
That’s a relief!! They can obviously see them on the CV but hopefully they base most of the academic requirement on the undergrad grade, thanks for finding that! @kp07l
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Bookish_much

Glad to know I’m not the only one!
Original post by kp07l
an amendment to my original reply lol: i looked it up and actually we dont have to hahaha, the only place they'd be is on cv, they judge grades on uni only https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/applying-to-oxford/application-guide/supporting-documents#content-tab--2

Aww you star! Thanks for looking this up :smile:

HELLO!! haha, my GCSE's were quite meh. But I've been thinking of applying for this course for ages. I just graduated with a first in Law from City university of London which is non russell group despite the law school being a strong one. I'm not too confident either.
Wondering when to apply considered late, especially for Financial Economics?
Original post by k92e67
Anyone applying for the OMMS?

- Current University: King's College London
- Current Course: BSc Mathematics
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First (91 avg in second year but 77 in first year lol)
- Prospective Course: MSc Mathematical Sciences
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Imperial MSc Pure Maths

I am applying for the same course!!
Reply 95
Original post by Doctor_Wormhole
I am applying for the same course!!

awesome great to see a fellow omms applicant! glad I can go through this journey with someone else haha
Hows it coming along?
Original post by k92e67
awesome great to see a fellow omms applicant! glad I can go through this journey with someone else haha
Hows it coming along?

Hahaha! I just applied for Rhodes scholarship and have my interview soon. Haven’t yet started the application process because we can start it only after the results so yeah. What about you?
Reply 97
Original post by Doctor_Wormhole
Hahaha! I just applied for Rhodes scholarship and have my interview soon. Haven’t yet started the application process because we can start it only after the results so yeah. What about you?

good luck with the scholarship, but an interview?? I thought interviews are not usually held. Is it for the scholarship or what?
I am hoping to submit by end of next week.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by k92e67
good luck with the scholarship, but an interview?? I thought interviews are not usually held. Is it for the scholarship or what?
I am hoping to submit by end of next week.

Oh great! Interview is for the scholarship. Unless I know if I’m a Rhodes elect or not I cannot apply lol
Original post by chutney101
Hi! I'm looking to apply for Neuroscience too! Have you started your application yet as they open tomorrow for Oxford 😬

I am also applying for Neuro. Not very hopeful though as is so competitive. Like 20 places and 400 applications or something like that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending