The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2020/21

Scroll to see replies

Original post by io79
Does anyone know when the applications close for the fast stream this year?

Pinch of salt with this:
- I'm not using a test pack, partially because most of them seem so sketchy.
- The FAQ mentions Online Tests and Work Based Scenarios
- It's usually a 12 week process but each stage has a 'complete this in X amount of days' deadline. I think the initial registration window is 4 weeks, 5 days for online tests, 5 for work based scenarios, 5 days for video interview, 7 days for additional info/tests (if needed) and finally 5 hours at a physical or in a virtual assessment centre.

Hope this helps
Reply 61
I am looking to apply for the science and engineering stream this year. In the S&E stream's page, it does not specify that one has to be a UK national to apply, not in the same way that it is specified in the diplomatic stream, for example. However, when I look at the main fast stream page, at the bottom, where you can see what streams you are eligible for, when I select the streams available for EU citizens, S&E does not come as an option. Does anyone know if as a non-UK, EU citizen, I can apply to the science and engineering stream? Thanks!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by k_pi_25
I am looking to apply for the science and engineering stream this year. In the S&E stream's page, it does not specify that one has to be a UK national to apply, not in the same way that it is specified in the diplomatic stream, for example. However, when I look at the main fast stream page, at the bottom, where you can see what streams you are eligible for, when I select the streams available for EU citizens, S&E does not come as an option. Does anyone know if as a non-UK, EU citizen, I can apply to the science and engineering stream? Thanks!

Email fast stream and they’d be able to tell you. I know for many civil service (non fast stream) you need to have leave to enter/remain and have lived in the UK for the past 5 years.
I'm interested in applying for the Government Social Research track but I'm unsure whether my qualifications meet the requirements. I studied History at undergraduate and have just completed a masters in Political Thought and Intellectual History.

I think I have lots of qualitative research skills/experience, but practically no quantitative. Does anyone have any insight on whether it's feasible to apply for GSR with this kind of background?
So quick question - does anyone know how to show 'engagement' in the video interview. When I applied last year my 'capability' score was high but 'engagement' score was low. Unsure how to so this other than smiling and showing it through body language.
Reply 65
Hi This is my first time applying. This may sound stupid, but I’m not quite sure how to apply. On the 24/09 when the application opens, will the submission form be there?
Original post by Missybelliot
I'm interested in applying for the Government Social Research track but I'm unsure whether my qualifications meet the requirements. I studied History at undergraduate and have just completed a masters in Political Thought and Intellectual History.

I think I have lots of qualitative research skills/experience, but practically no quantitative. Does anyone have any insight on whether it's feasible to apply for GSR with this kind of background?

Hi, I got a place for GSR on this year's scheme and the following info is useful to see if you fulfil the criteria:

- qualitative methods, including research design, data collection (i.e. interviewing, focus groups, ethnographic), data analysis (e.g. thematic analysis)

- quantitative methods, including research design, data collection (i.e. questionnaire design, sampling, weighting), data analysis (e.g. statistical analysis)

- study design, hypothesis formation, testing and evaluation

- systematic/literature reviews
interpretation of data (qualitative and quantitative), presentation of results, provision of recommendations/ conclusions
application of ethics to research

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/2017-government-social-research-service-fast-stream-scheme
Original post by llamab
Couldn't find a thread for the upcoming application cycle anywhere, so thought I would start it. Anyone else on TSR applying? For which scheme?

I'm planning to apply for Gov Social Research as my top choice, would be great to get to know others in the same boat!

I'm applying for Gov Social Research as my first choice too! My degree was in History and Criminal Justice ( criminal justice making up 25 percent of my degree), so I'm not too sure if im eligible? Wish the website would just outline what degrees are eligible and what aren't, as I feel like my skillset is more than capable for the social research but I'm not too sure if my degree makes the cut
Original post by frasr017
I'm applying for Gov Social Research as my first choice too! My degree was in History and Criminal Justice ( criminal justice making up 25 percent of my degree), so I'm not too sure if im eligible? Wish the website would just outline what degrees are eligible and what aren't, as I feel like my skillset is more than capable for the social research but I'm not too sure if my degree makes the cut

I applied for GSR last year and didn't get to FSAC after filling out the post VI questions, which asked for my modules at university. My degree was International Relations (with languages) with a masters in a similar subject. I was definitely rejected because I didn't have any stand alone qual or quant modules, but research methods and design was incorporated into both my undergrad and masters modules through core theory modules and classes taught as part of dissertations. So if you had stand alone.

The FAQs on the website says this: here are two routes through which to qualify to apply for the GSR Fast Stream Scheme.

Qualification route

In order to apply for the Social Research Fast Stream via the qualification route, you need to hold an undergraduate degree at a minimum of 2:1, or 2:2 with a postgraduate degree. Your qualifying degree (i.e. undergraduate or Masters) needs to contain substantial social research methods training (comprising of around one third of modules taken in your course) including the mandated area below, plus at least three of the other areas listed:

Quantitative research methods (mandatory): quantitative data collection and research design, including questionnaire design, sampling and weighting
Qualitative methods: qualitative data collection and research design, including interviewing skills, conducting focus groups and ethnographic methods
Systematic/literature reviews
Data analysis, including data linkage, interpretation of data and presentation of results
Hypothesis testing and evaluation
Application of ethics to research
What's involved in Thursdays application? Is it just a CV and contact details etc or something else?
Original post by Nkhogali
What's involved in Thursdays application? Is it just a CV and contact details etc or something else?

You won't put your CV down at any point of the initial application. If memory serves its contact details and some eligibility questions (do you have a degree, things about you such as race and sexuality) and then you'll do the initial tests.
Original post by AspiringCS
You won't put your CV down at any point of the initial application. If memory serves its contact details and some eligibility questions (do you have a degree, things about you such as race and sexuality) and then you'll do the initial tests.

Hi, new to all this. So once I've put my details in do I immediately have to do the tests and the 5 day window starts, or can I choose when I start the tests?
Original post by Base_Thread
Hi, new to all this. So once I've put my details in do I immediately have to do the tests and the 5 day window starts, or can I choose when I start the tests?

you'll have a window to do it! :smile:

After you put your details in you'll receive an email confirming it. Either in that e-mail or one that follows it you'll be told that from that point you have 5 days to complete the tests.

You can start at any point within those 5 days. You can do the tests in one sitting or space them out.
you'll have a window to do it! :smile:

Do you know when the window extends to? The email I got last year said that the window remained open until October but this year's email didn't have any end date. Just wondering how long I have to revise before I have to sit the first round of tests.
Do you know when the window extends to? The email I got last year said that the window remained open until October but this year's email didn't have any end date. Just wondering how long I have to revise before I have to sit the first round of tests.

usually around 4 weeks I think
Reply 76

Yes 4 week window ☺️

Riiiiight so I don't have to sign up immediately tomorrow?
Original post by nj4es
Yes 4 week window ☺️

So I don't have to sign up tomorrow? I can leave it for a few weeks?
Any word on what these tests involve?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending