The Student Room Group

Straight lines

Find the shortest distance between two parallel lines y=2x+4 and y=2x-3

Can someone help me with this please
Reply 1
Original post by Adnan00
Find the shortest distance between two parallel lines y=2x+4 and y=2x-3

Can someone help me with this please

if they're parallel - they're a constant distance apart all the way along, so the question probably wants the perpendicular distance between them
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by davros
Well if they're parallel there isn't really a shortest distance - they're the same distance apart all the way along! Can you draw the lines to see what's going on?

Well the question doesn't give you a diagram, you only need to find the distance between them. Do have any Idea how to find them.
Thanks for the reply.
Reply 3
Original post by Adnan00
Well the question doesn't give you a diagram, you only need to find the distance between them. Do have any Idea how to find them.
Thanks for the reply.

OK I've edited my response as I was being a bit dumb - they probably want the perpendicular distance between the lines.

I would still suggest a drawing would help :smile:
Is that the correct wording of the question?
Reply 5
Original post by GabiAbi84
Is that the correct wording of the question?

Yes
Reply 6
I did that but I don't know where to start
Reply 7
The distance will be perpendicular to the two lines.
You could form a perpendicular line which passes through a point in line 1 and find where it intersects with line 2. The distance between these two points is what you want.

Or you could use trig if you draw the right diagram, or represent the lines in normal form and subtract the distances or....
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
The distance will be perpendicular to the two lines.
You could form a perpendicular line which passes through a point in line 1 and find where it intersects with line 2. The distance between these two points is what you want.

Or you could use trig if you draw the right diagram, or represent the lines in normal form and subtract the distances or....

Thank you for the help, Done it.

Quick Reply

Latest