The Student Room Group

Why do you follow a religion

What makes you follow a religion? Does it make you happier?

I’m currently an agnostic, however ive Been interested in Christianity for the past few months!

Scroll to see replies

Of course it makes you happier.

Religion distances you from reality, reality is unappealing and cold.

Believing in something brings you some cushioning, and that could very well lead to increased happiness due to a sense of meaning.
Because then God will take care my issues lmao
Reply 3
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
Of course it makes you happier.

Religion distances you from reality, reality is unappealing and cold.

Believing in something brings you some cushioning, and that could very well lead to increased happiness due to a sense of meaning.

Well there are so many rules that it can also bring great unhappiness to many. Can't eat this, wear that, don't say this and so on.
Reply 4
It can bring a sense of meaning to life.
Original post by Bio 7
Well there are so many rules that it can also bring great unhappiness to many. Can't eat this, wear that, don't say this and so on.

Of course.
Because tribalism :biggrin:

My tribe best. Ooga booga. Other tribe bad.

*beats chest*
I was agnostic. But now I believe in the truths presented by the scripture of the religion I follow. So I believe in religion.

I’m in the autism spectrum as well. Usually we don’t believe in religion (commonly at least?) but I personally do. And I do quite strongly.

I do without emotions though. So you could say my faith is weak emotionally but analytically strong. If that makes any sense.
Cool question :smile: my religion,Islam, has been my only true source of comfort when I’ve felt lonely and empty inside during my low points. I don’t expect much from people, I believe there’s a balance/limit/barrier/boundary, etc., when it comes to how other people can sort of help you and I respect that they are human and may not be able to offer help in the way one may need it and I don’t expect it. (From my experience I’ve learnt to not expect too much from people so religion is what keeps me going- surely there’s more to life than limitations that may come with being humans- I’ve been there where I’ve done my research and had questions regarding the existence of everything and Islam is what has helped remove that hollowness. (It helps me implement optimism and kindness with every opportunity I get, etc. I suffer from anxiety and insomnia, Islam helps me keep my peace, it is my peace).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by LovelyMrFox

I absolutely agree.

PRSOM :tongue:
i don't
Religion gives me a purpose in life. I am Muslim.

My faith in God has helped me when I've felt depressed and miserable. I don't feel alone when I acknowledge the fact that God is always listening to me.

My religion teaches me that God tests us in life, so we won't necessarily be "happy" with the current lives we have. These tests expose our faults and weaknesses to ourselves and that awareness enables us to be more focused and proactive in rectifying those aspects of our character.

I also believe in life after death. Belief in an afterlife encourages me to take responsibility for my actions in my current life.
(edited 3 years ago)

Being a slave to a vile dictator isn't the "sense of meaning" that I want.
Reply 13
Original post by RogerOxon
Being a slave to a vile dictator isn't the "sense of meaning" that I want.

Whether there is a 'vile dictator' depends on the religion as well as how close you follow it.
i was born into it
I follow religion because I believe there’s more to life than this planet. Sometimes I would go to church and I just feel something I can’t explain like it’s just weird. But The Bible has been changed soo much . I do believe there’s a higher power tho.
Original post by noturhabibti
i was born into it

Have you ever considered anything else - what makes you stay with it?
Original post by noturhabibti
i was born into it

Think about what that actually means.
Whether there is a 'vile dictator' depends on the religion as well as how close you follow it.

Agreed, although many threaten eternal torture if you don't comply.
Original post by Compost
Have you ever considered anything else - what makes you stay with it?

erm not really, i guess i grew up learning about it and it all makes sense like, praying helps me feel better even tho im not strictly religious

Original post by RogerOxon
Think about what that actually means.

wym?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending