The Student Room Group

B.A.L.L Events and Promotions Scam????

Hi everyone,
My girlfriend has recently graduated from University with an Event Management degree and she has recently applied for and been accepted for an Events and Marketing Manager role at a company called B.A.L.L Events and Promotions.

I've done some research and tried to find out more info about the company but I can't really seem to find any reviews from employees or information about a possible scam.

This is the information they provided her about salary and progression, and seems to be 'too good to be true':
1) Entry Level: 2-4 weeks
Weekly Salary Range: £275-300
Training

2) Team Leader: 1-6 months
Weekly Salary Range: £400-600
For building my own team, running my own event.

3) Assistant Manager: 6-8 months later
Weekly Salary Range: £800-1,200
For 50% office and 50% event work (+ commission)

4) Ownership: 16 - 18 months later
Weekly Salary Range: £2k - 6k
For client management national and internationally. Abroad opportunities (+ commission)

Any help or information would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kunzi_11
Hi everyone,
My girlfriend has recently graduated from University with an Event Management degree and she has recently applied for and been accepted for an Events and Marketing Manager role at a company called B.A.L.L Events and Promotions.

I've done some research and tried to find out more info about the company but I can't really seem to find any reviews from employees or information about a possible scam.

This is the information they provided her about salary and progression, and seems to be 'too good to be true':
Training

For client management national and internationally. Abroad opportunities (+ commission)

Thanks!

In the current climate it certainly is!
IT’S FALSE ADVERTISEMENT. I joined this work place and quit after 2 days, it was that bad. The ‘events’ is just going out in public trying to sell ‘Shell’ gas and electric. Unpaid work and long 7 hours is really what the ‘entry level’ is. 2 weeks of running up to people forcing them to switch, before u can get paid which is by commission anyway. No standard rate pay and you are essentially self employed. Tell your girlfriend not to bother!
(edited 3 years ago)
I just quit as I was misled throughout my interview! Nothing like they said it would be! I would also advise anyone with mental illness to stay well CLEAR! They were shocking when dealing with mine, I was practically forced to push my anxiety away and focus on the “job” disgusted
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
B.A.L.L. IS A SCAM! I worked in there for just over a week. I was misled with how much the commission is (they said it was £50 but didn't tell me it was only £20 for broadband). I sold two broadband deals for Shell but only got paid £18. You have to pay for your own travel, they tell you Saturday work iks for VIPs only, they did not tell me that we did not get paid a basic and they sold so many more lies. You have to hand it to the "CEO", he is a top salesman, he can fool anyone into a job like this. He does not care about you, your mental health, your physical health, or your financial situation. Please stay away from this company. When I was there he had no problem scamming a young single mum working two jobs, young men with rent and bills to pay, or a young woman with a serious back problem who also had rent and bills to pay. Tell your girlfriend not to bother, and look the CEO up on companies house. Research him.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by username5417322
I just quit as I was misled throughout my interview! Nothing like they said it would be! I would also advise anyone with mental illness to stay well CLEAR! They were shocking when dealing with mine, I was practically forced to push my anxiety away and focus on the “job” disgusted

you made a good choice! i am so sorry they made you feel like that. i had the exact same issue. good on you for getting out of there!
Reply 6
Original post by divine15x
IT’S FALSE ADVERTISEMENT. I joined this work place and quit after 2 days, it was that bad. The ‘events’ is just going out in public trying to sell ‘Shell’ gas and electric. Unpaid work and long 7 hours is really what the ‘entry level’ is. 2 weeks of running up to people forcing them to switch, before u can get paid which is by commission anyway. No standard rate pay and you are essentially self employed. Tell your girlfriend not to bother!

You are not esentially self employed. You actually sign something that says you are self employed! I dont know how he did it for you, but he litrerally put a laptop in front of me and made me sign something on there without me even reading it first. He sold signing it to me. He sold it all to all of us! I am so sorry you had to go through even 2 days of it!
Reply 7
Hi everyone,

Training

Thanks!

Oh and also, in my interview, I was told promotions in the company are 100% internal. Full of lies!!
Original post by uola123
You are not esentially self employed. You actually sign something that says you are self employed! I dont know how he did it for you, but he litrerally put a laptop in front of me and made me sign something on there without me even reading it first. He sold signing it to me. He sold it all to all of us! I am so sorry you had to go through even 2 days of it!

Such a horrible experience I thought it was just me! Where were you based if you don’t mind me asking? The same signing process for me too, all the while the manager selling dreams of ‘owning businesses’, ‘opening offices’ and ‘expansion’- BS! I cried after my first day & my mental health deteriorated the small time I was there. My ‘team leader’ did nothing to help or
prepare me for pitches & I felt so cheated. I‘d also noticed not everyone from the meeting turned up to online training or the first day. When quitting I didn’t need to sign anything official apparently, was that the same for you? The manager even added me on snapchat after I’d left, so unprofessional & disgusting considering his age & the fact he has kids! Such a shame we had to go through this & there’s still more to say.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Sorry to hear, that sounds awful. The place my girlfriend went to was in Watford. I wouldn't let it affect you as it's not your fault.
Sorry to hear, that sounds awful. The place my girlfriend went to was in Watford. I wouldn't let it affect you as it's not your fault.

I’ve moved on now. Just thankful I trusted my intuition and left when I did. Same place as me, how was your girlfriend’s experience?
Reply 11
Well as soon as she told me I knew it was all a scam but she got overexcited about it and decided to go for the interview. But after that I convinced her that this is dodgy and then she withdrew her application.
I don't know if it's a scam I got contacted too

I got rejected from them post-interview so :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by divine15x
Such a horrible experience I thought it was just me! Where were you based if you don’t mind me asking? The same signing process for me too, all the while the manager selling dreams of ‘owning businesses’, ‘opening offices’ and ‘expansion’- BS! I cried after my first day & my mental health deteriorated the small time I was there. My ‘team leader’ did nothing to help or
prepare me for pitches & I felt so cheated. I‘d also noticed not everyone from the meeting turned up to online training or the first day. When quitting I didn’t need to sign anything official apparently, was that the same for you? The manager even added me on snapchat after I’d left, so unprofessional & disgusting considering his age & the fact he has kids! Such a shame we had to go through this & there’s still more to say.

i was based in watford but he sent me all over the place every day! private message me and we can chat some more! i called and said i was not coming back, he said nothing really apart from that he was disappointed in me! he is extremely unprofessional and he is just such a nasty scammer. i dont understand how he could be so heartless.
Reply 14
I’m currently just accepted a job and in the middle of training there can u tell me about more
Reply 15
Original post by Ert69
I’m currently just accepted a job and in the middle of training there can u tell me about more

It's a scam my friend, I'd back out immediately if I was you. they make it sound so glamorous and simple, but if that was the case we would all be millionaires 😆. You'll just be standing around on the streets having to approach customers and try sell a service to them.
Reply 16
Original post by Ert69

I'd recommend you watch this documentary on BBC iPlayer, it's an undercover series about these sorts of companies:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p07txlqn/blindboy-undestroys-the-world-series-1-3-why-work-doesnt-work-anymore
Reply 17
Original post by Ert69
Im in the middle of training Keshia done my interview was just wondering if anyone else has had the same exercise I’m getting a booky vibe from it, from reading the comments it seems the same for everyone else also the boss at Watford seems to be a bit Suspicious suspicious when it comes to the female staff anyone got any info for me

Hey, sorry I don't actually know the name's of the people there as it was my girlfriend who applied. When you say the boss seems to be suspicious about female staff, what do you mean?
I did notice only one female on the LinkedIn pictures . My husband had final interview tomorrow with “founder” I missed this site and just read the one glass door review . HUGE THANKS EVERYONE
I am also in the middle of the interviews. Is it true that the training is unpaid? no base salary?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending