The Student Room Group

Is taking a car to uni a good idea?

Hiya, so I’m starting uni next year and I am debating getting a car. Is it a good idea to take a car with me? What are some pros and cons? Also do you think it’s a good idea to buy one during this time? I’m currently working in my gap year, so I have a decent amount in savings, and have a year to save up some more. And I’m hoping to get a part time job down there. I don’t think money is too much of an issue. Thanks
No

I’ll put it one way, I’ve flown everywhere round the world (normal times)
Land at airport, collect luggage, rent a car...standard practice. Except, that time I flew to Boston (MA) , rented the car & queued for 2 hours to leave the airport - eventually took it back to hertzyavis & they said ‘a lot of ppl make do with public transport here’

of all my friends at uni, just one who is studying at Exeter bought a car, as it ‘was a bit quiet’

all my other friends at uni have enough to do without maintaining a vehicle, perhaps it depends on how rural your proposed uni is?

But maybe you really really want to buy a car, maybe your uni will have (free) parking?

Draw up a SWOT analysis?
Reply 2
Depends where you’re studying. If public transport is good and if parking is poor I would say it’s unnecessary and more a liability. Cars are very expensive to keep on the road. The only advantages are being able to drive home and the odd outing with you mates where it’s good to have transport.
Original post by Anonymous
Hiya, so I’m starting uni next year and I am debating getting a car. Is it a good idea to take a car with me? What are some pros and cons? Also do you think it’s a good idea to buy one during this time? I’m currently working in my gap year, so I have a decent amount in savings, and have a year to save up some more. And I’m hoping to get a part time job down there. I don’t think money is too much of an issue. Thanks

Not really needed for most people, unless you have mobility issues. If you really want to, check that your accomodation and campus will actually let you park. Places are pretty limited in most universities and as a fresher you are going to be right at the bottom of the priority list unless you have a disability. Oh, and all your mates will want a lift to parties which means you always get to be the sober one .... whether you like it or not.
(edited 3 years ago)
Depends, some uni's might not allow you to keep it there as they might not have the space :smile:

Hey,

Some of my friends used to drive to uni but they really struggled to find parking, and when there were spaces it did cost quite a bit. So, you might want to check beforehand if parking is available and is it cheaper and more convenient then public transport.

Good luck!

Zaira :smile:
It really will depend where you're studying. Some campus and small town unis will have their own car parks, be easy to drive to and may expect you to live in private accommodation in nearby small towns for some or all of the years, so commuting by car can work well, especially as buses can be very expensive and unreliable in some towns. If you've already been driving a while the insurance may not be too much of a problem either. Plus the much lowered commute time of car versus bus is very appealing.

The more big city ones seem to be less practical, some don't even have car parks for non-disabled students next to the buildings so you'd have to pay for private parking, and commuting into uni in the centre of somewhere like Birmingham, Manchester or London etc will likely involve a lot of traffic and stress, so not worth it in my opinion. In big cities I think getting uni provided accom in the centre within walking distance of the buildings is the best, or get private accom near to a very good bus route.

I think you should check out what car parking is available at your uni and accommodation, what sort of commute times you will be dealing with, and whether there will regularly be a lot of traffic on your route.
Depends if you have somewhere to park it first of all. I didn't take my car in first year as it is a city uni with limited parking and most things in Portsmouth are walking distance, but getting the train to work/home etc got annoying after I had been used to driving, but once I stopped working out of the city and went home less it was no trouble. In second year and now going into third year I've brought my car both times because I live in a house with a parking permit, and its useful to have if I need to go food shopping etc. I'm not doing long journeys except to go home so don't need to fill up petrol much, but I would overall say its useful if you can afford, but not 100% necessary, as for my friends its about 50/50 bringing their cars.

Sophie - Official Student Rep :smile:

Many unis don't allow first year students to bring cars ... they are more trouble than they are worth at uni.
If you can’t park at your uni then it is most likely not worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending