The Student Room Group

Cant take Iron pills :( IRON Deficiency is HARD

thread closed
(edited 3 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Kjst600
Hey! So I have iron deficiency and im supposed to take 2-3 ferrous fumate pills a day.. I find it extremely difficult to take pills and especially when it comes to Iron pills, I cannot take the taste and also the fact that it gives me the worst nausea and stomach pains :frown: . I was wondering if you guys think I can beat my iron deficiency with diet??? I try to eat spinach etc but I don’t think it helps much?! Are there any specific smoothies I can make to boost my iron levels? Or a meal plan that I could follow

Unfortunately the taste is just something you have to learn to deal with. Believe it or not after a few months of taking a medication it starts to get much better, you barely even notice a taste after a while.
For the nausea and stomach pains that sounds like something to talk to your GP about.
How long have you been taking them?
Reply 2
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Unfortunately the taste is just something you have to learn to deal with. Believe it or not after a few months of taking a medication it starts to get much better, you barely even notice a taste after a while.
For the nausea and stomach pains that sounds like something to talk to your GP about.
How long have you been taking them?

Im so bad at being consistent with them. So I take it for a few weeks in a month and then stop and start a few months later :frown: its bad I know! But I just cant take the taste and pain
Reply 3
Original post by Kjst600
Im so bad at being consistent with them. So I take it for a few weeks in a month and then stop and start a few months later :frown: its bad I know! But I just cant take the taste and pain

Get a pill organizer and set an alarm on your phone. If you still arent being consistent after that then you're not even trying and need to start putting effort into taking care of yourself.
How long have you been on it?
Reply 4
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Get a pill organizer and set an alarm on your phone. If you still arent being consistent after that then you're not even trying and need to start putting effort into taking care of yourself.
How long have you been on it?

True thanks.. and 4-5 years now!
Reply 5
Original post by Kjst600

Definitely worth speaking to your GP about the stomach pain then.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Kjst600
Hey! So I have iron deficiency and im supposed to take 2-3 ferrous fumate pills a day.. I find it extremely difficult to take pills and especially when it comes to Iron pills, I cannot take the taste and also the fact that it gives me the worst nausea and stomach pains :frown: . I was wondering if you guys think I can beat my iron deficiency with diet??? I try to eat spinach etc but I don’t think it helps much?! Are there any specific smoothies I can make to boost my iron levels? Or a meal plan that I could follow

i tried with diet and to be honest it really did not make much of a difference. I went real healthy for a whole year, ate rich iron foods such as apricots, spinach, protein etc however it didn't really make much of a difference sadly (turns out I have a problem with my red blood cells tho so absorbing things like iron and other nutrients in my blood is more difficult than for the average person, so this is perhaps why). My tablets are little brown disc shaped and don't taste of anything so perhaps you could ask for those at your GP as different pharmacutical companies create different shaped/coloured tabelets and some you'll find an after-taste and some dont.

Hope this helps
Reply 7
Also, are you taking them on an empty stomach (i find if I take my pills on an empty stomach I get really bad stomach pain so i always try and eat something (even if it is small like a slice of toast, just to line my stomach before I take my ferrous fumarate)
Original post by Kjst600

Some people in my family have a rare hereditary condition where they have excessive levels of iron in their blood and they have to be bleed a few pints every so often.
No relevance to your post but I thought you may find it interesting that there are some people with the opposite problem.
Before you ask I did ask the question can they use their blood for people with the opposite problem and apparently they can’t.
Reply 9
Original post by Joy L
i tried with diet and to be honest it really did not make much of a difference. I went real healthy for a whole year, ate rich iron foods such as apricots, spinach, protein etc however it didn't really make much of a difference sadly (turns out I have a problem with my red blood cells tho so absorbing things like iron and other nutrients in my blood is more difficult than for the average person, so this is perhaps why). My tablets are little brown disc shaped and don't taste of anything so perhaps you could ask for those at your GP as different pharmacutical companies create different shaped/coloured tabelets and some you'll find an after-taste and some dont.

Hope this helps

Thanks so much for this information!! Do you know the name of the pills you take by any chance?
Reply 10
Original post by paul514
Some people in my family have a rare hereditary condition where they have excessive levels of iron in their blood and they have to be bleed a few pints every so often.
No relevance to your post but I thought you may find it interesting that there are some people with the opposite problem.
Before you ask I did ask the question can they use their blood for people with the opposite problem and apparently they can’t.

Wow well thats something i’ve never heard before 😳 interesting indeed!
Reply 11
Original post by Kjst600
Thanks so much for this information!! Do you know the name of the pills you take by any chance?

mine are made by the phramcutical company CRESCENT PHARMA

(hope this helps, perhaps worth asking your doctor to prescribe the ferrous fumerate tabelts created by that company, however they may say no, depending on whether your local pharmacies stock that pharamacutical companies products)
Original post by Kjst600
Wow well thats something i’ve never heard before 😳 interesting indeed!

Well it is super rare condition someone in our family is a doctor in Ireland and discovered the condition when they were helping a family member with their health.
Reply 13
Original post by Joy L
mine are made by the phramcutical company CRESCENT PHARMA

(hope this helps, perhaps worth asking your doctor to prescribe the ferrous fumerate tabelts created by that company, however they may say no, depending on whether your local pharmacies stock that pharamacutical companies products)

Thanks Joy!
Reply 14
Original post by Kjst600
Thanks Joy!

np, hope you get it all sorted xx
Original post by Kjst600

There are other options - see a doctor! Surely you haven't gone 5 years without highlighting this problem?! :eek:

Original post by paul514

I heard they were looking to change this (as in, let the blood taken be a blood donation for people who need a transfusion). Seems like such a waste to throw it away!

It wouldn't be a great treatment for iron deficiency though no.
Reply 16
Original post by nexttime
I heard they were looking to change this (as in, let the blood taken be a blood donation for people who need a transfusion). Seems like such a waste to throw it away!

It wouldn't be a great treatment for iron deficiency though no.

LOL, I mainly didn’t get it checked because Stomach pains are a side effect of the Iron pills 😆 so thats why I was looking for alternatives
Original post by Kjst600
LOL, I mainly didn’t get it checked because Stomach pains are a side effect of the Iron pills 😆 so thats why I was looking for alternatives

Alternatives only a doctor can prescribe maybe? 😆
Reply 18
Original post by nexttime
Alternatives only a doctor can prescribe maybe? 😆

Alternative in the form of diet etc not pills 😃
Can you try spatone? It's liquid, you just put it in orange juice and drink it, no pills.

Quick Reply

Latest