The Student Room Group

Second degree funding for Diagnostic Imaging at Glasgow Caledonian University

Hi there,

I have previously completed an undergraduate degree and received a full student loan, maintenance loan, and maintenance grant for it. I'm interested in returning to university to study BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Imaging B821 at Glasgow Caledonian University, and have seen several posts stating that this is an exception course, and I would be able to able to apply for a student loan and maintenance loan.

However, I spoke with a representative from Student Finance on the phone earlier, and they said that this is not an exception course. Could you confirm whether or not this particular course at GCU is an exception course, and if I would be able to apply for funding, please?

Sorry if this an obvious thing to ask - I just want to be clear on my options. Thank you for your time.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by RouxClarke
Hi there,

I have previously completed an undergraduate degree and received a full student loan, maintenance loan, and maintenance grant for it. I'm interested in returning to university to study BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Imaging B821 at Glasgow Caledonian University, and have seen several posts stating that this is an exception course, and I would be able to able to apply for a student loan and maintenance loan.

However, I spoke with a representative from Student Finance on the phone earlier, and they said that this is not an exception course. Could you confirm whether or not this particular course at GCU is an exception course, and if I would be able to apply for funding, please?

Sorry if this an obvious thing to ask - I just want to be clear on my options. Thank you for your time.

Hi, are you studying full time or part time?

Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing
- Geographical and Environmental Studies

Thanks, Isaac
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, are you studying full time or part time?

Below is a list of the Full Time courses exempt from Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ) and Previous Study rules:
- Graduate Entry Medical Chiropody
- Dietetics
- Dietetics and Nutrition (Please note that these courses specifically have both dietetics and nutrition in the title. The individual course ‘nutrition’ is not a valid Allied Health Professional course)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice (Diplomas and Degrees)
- Orthoptics
- Physiotherapy
- Podiatry
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
- Radiotherapy
- Speech and Language Therapy/ Dental courses

Part Time
If you already hold an Honours degree or a higher level (HE) qualification, you are able to apply for a Part Time Fee Loan for any one of the exception course below. For students who start a new course from 18/19 onwards, this will mean they can apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan as well as tuition fees.
- Medicine and Dentistry
- Subjects to Allied Medicine
- Biological and Sport Science
- Psychology
- Veterinary Sciences
- Agriculture, Food and Related Sciences
- Physical Sciences
- General and Others in Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Engineering and Technology
- Computing
- Geographical and Environmental Studies

Thanks, Isaac

Hi Isaac,

Thank you for getting back to me. The course I intend to study (details here: https://www.gcu.ac.uk/study/courses/details/index.php/P01640/Diagnostic_Imaging/) would be full time.

Although the course name does not explicitly contain the word 'radiography', the content of the course is focused on diagnostic radiography. I saw that you advised another prospective student here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6615974 - that their course in Diagnostic Radiography with the course code B821 at Hertfordshire University would be considered an allied health professional course, and that their previous study would not affect their eligibility. As the course that I'm keen to do at Glasgow Caledonian University has the same course code, and is also focused on diagnostic radiography, would I eligible for funding for this course at this university despite my previous studies?
Hi Isaac,

Thank you for getting back to me. The course I intend to study (details here: https://www.gcu.ac.uk/study/courses/details/index.php/P01640/Diagnostic_Imaging/) would be full time.

Although the course name does not explicitly contain the word 'radiography', the content of the course is focused on diagnostic radiography. I saw that you advised another prospective student here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6615974 - that their course in Diagnostic Radiography with the course code B821 at Hertfordshire University would be considered an allied health professional course, and that their previous study would not affect their eligibility. As the course that I'm keen to do at Glasgow Caledonian University has the same course code, and is also focused on diagnostic radiography, would I eligible for funding for this course at this university despite my previous studies?

Good morning, I have reviewed the database and this course shows as an AHP exception course. You should be eligible for funding regardless of previous study.
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Isaac
Good morning, I have reviewed the database and this course shows as an AHP exception course. You should be eligible for funding regardless of previous study.
Thanks, Isaac

Thank you for clarifying this, Isaac. I really do appreciate it.

All the best!
Thank you for clarifying this, Isaac. I really do appreciate it.

All the best!

You're welcome :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending