The Student Room Group

Apply for uni early or near deadline? (Radiography)

I've heard it's better to apply for university early as you can get an earlier interview / offer, but like a lot of others I have been unable to get work experience. Would it be better to leave my application until January in the hopes I might be able to secure work experience before any interviews (still not guaranteed but there's a chance), or would the advantages of applying early outweigh it?

Not sure how much value they are going to place on having it this year and whether to wait or not.
Always good to have work experience, it's value is pretty heavily dependant on the university and course you are applying for.
Anything specific?
I doubt you will be able to get any work experience this year.

Play up an 'caring' experience you have had, any experience of dealing with people (part-time job?), and your overall understanding of the role. The alternative is to work your socks off this year for the best grades you can get, take a planned gap year to get some experience (ie. we might have a vaccine by next summer) and then apply next year.

It wont make any difference when you apply. Usually with courses that interview they wait until they have all applications in before they make any decisions on who to interview.
Reply 3
Original post by Native087
Always good to have work experience, it's value is pretty heavily dependant on the university and course you are applying for.
Anything specific?

Radiography, all the courses seem to want it as standard, but i can't get any and there's no guarantee i will even if i wait until January, just a chance.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
I doubt you will be able to get any work experience this year.

Play up an 'caring' experience you have had, any experience of dealing with people (part-time job?), and your overall understanding of the role. The alternative is to work your socks off this year for the best grades you can get, take a planned gap year to get some experience (ie. we might have a vaccine by next summer) and then apply next year.

It wont make any difference when you apply. Usually with courses that interview they wait until they have all applications in before they make any decisions on who to interview.

Thank you for the suggestions. I did an event with Bradford uni and apparently them and Cardiff will at least be doing some interviews this year. I already have my grades as I'm a mature student, so if i don't get in it will mean trying to apply a second time around next year, is that allowed, to apply at the same uni's twice in two years?
Original post by Kogomogo
is that allowed, to apply at the same uni's twice in two years?

Yes. So if you dont get in this year, try again.
If you don't get in, they might give you feedback as to why, and you can go away and work on that. But bear in mind that everyone is in the same boat regarding work experience. I would suggest contacting the recruitment lead for your course and asking them. They might also be having a online/remote open day where you can ask these kinds of questions.
Reply 7
Makes no difference. Give yourself time to make the best application.
Reply 8
Original post by Kogomogo
I've heard it's better to apply for university early as you can get an earlier interview / offer, but like a lot of others I have been unable to get work experience. Would it be better to leave my application until January in the hopes I might be able to secure work experience before any interviews (still not guaranteed but there's a chance), or would the advantages of applying early outweigh it?

Not sure how much value they are going to place on having it this year and whether to wait or not.

Could you find work in a care home or see whether any of the voluntary arms in hospitals near you are taking people yet?
Reply 9
Original post by Kerzen
Could you find work in a care home or see whether any of the voluntary arms in hospitals near you are taking people yet?

I'm currently already in work so wouldn't be able to take on more I'm afraid and it doesn't seem like local hospitals have volunteering places right now :frown:
Reply 10
Doing other work experience involving caring for others even if it’s volunteering will help a lot. Check Do-it.org for opportunities.
Advice from Medic Portal etc : https://www.themedicportal.com/blog/covid-19-the-best-work-experience-alternatives/

Bristol Med School : (For Medicine) We encourage applicants to obtain a minimum of two weeks’ work experience. This enables the applicant to gain some insight into their potential vocation. Applicants may be asked to reflect on their work experience at interview. While it may be difficult to obtain clinical work experience, we encourage applicants to seek out opportunities to work with the public in a customer service role, or volunteer in a care or health environment (nursing home, local hospice, shelter for the homeless, or facility supporting people with disabilities or special needs), or a youth group.

Quick Reply

Latest