The Student Room Group

GCSE options.

Hey!!
I have to choose me GCSE options by tomorrow, I know the due date is coming very soon, but I was given this chance only yesterday, it's hard to explain.
Anyways, the school I'm going to is allowing me to pick four optional subjects.
I'm thinking about doing, art, drama, geography and business or photography.
I don't know what one to pick, as I've read a few comment, and it looks like that business is boring and photography is hard. I am considering to pick triple science, I know that it's going to be extremely hard, but in my case if I start seeing good results from myself, I know I will force myself to try harder, if you know what I mean.
I'm just worried that if for example I pick business, it's going to look like I'm picking to many "soft" subjects.
To be honest I really am stuck on what to pick.
Do you mind helping me please?
Giving your opinions on the the subjects.
Oh and, the school said I don't have to do a foreign language, but I'm thinking maybe to do Russian or French, I know that if I do pick French the school will help me.
I know this is a long message and it's a lot to take in, but I really do need help.
Thank you!
As well, I'm considering going to university to maybe become a vet (I love animals very much!!), and I know the top ones are more likely to pick you if you have a BTTC or something like, when you do foreign language and strong subject. I do realise that triple science would look better as well as a language.
So maybe art, drama, Russian and triple science as a more harder choice?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

i suggest doing geog its easier butthere is alot of learning but uit aint like history where you have to write loads of essays is easier and the highest mark question is a 9 marker
Original post by firdouss
i suggest doing geog its easier butthere is alot of learning but uit aint like history where you have to write loads of essays is easier and the highest mark question is a 9 marker

Thank you so much for your reply, I was thinking about doing history, as I absolutely love watching documentaries but I do struggle on my timing and essay writing. That's why I'm considering doing geography, I've heard it's much easier and I know I get high grades on it.
Again thank you!!
In my experience, business is very subjective - if you are thinking about business later on - sure, but it is incredibly boring, so boring. I'd pick photography or a language personally, but bear in mind the art and photography workloads are HUGE. I cannot make that statement enough, that isn't meant to scare you, but be aware it is a lot of work to do, and will take up most of your time outside of school hours, so take that into consideration with photography. I took art, textiles, business, and german for my GCSEs and I am now applying for politics and sociology at uni and applying to Cambridge so I know about the 'softness' and honestly it really does Not matter for GCSEs unless you're applying to Oxford later on. Take what you think you'll enjoy rather than future prospects because GCSEs don't really have any impact (unless you wanna go to Oxford).

Thank you so much for your reply, I was thinking about doing history, as I absolutely love watching documentaries but I do struggle on my timing and essay writing. That's why I'm considering doing geography, I've heard it's much easier and I know I get high grades on it.
Again thank you!! :smile:
Nobody here is going to be able to tell you what you. The best advice is to take subjects that you will enjoy and succeed in. What are you good at. What do you enjoy. That is what you need to decide and none of us really know you well enough to help you.
Original post by AnimalLoverRoar
Again thank you!!

Have you looked at example GCSE exams to see how much writing there is?

I'd take triple science if you want to be a vet - Art or Drama [not both], a language, History/Geography

Again thank you!! :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
Have you looked at example GCSE exams to see how much writing there is?

I'd take triple science if you want to be a vet - Art or Drama [not both], a language, History/Geography

Thank you for you message!!
I know that would be better, but I've heard that you can do combined science and still become a vet, is that true?
Thank you for you message!!
I know that would be better, but I've heard that you can do combined science and still become a vet, is that true?

It will be a stronger application with triple and you'll have better prep for A level Science. Vet med is competitive so I'd do everything to make the application as good as you can.
It will be a stronger application with triple and you'll have better prep for A level Science. Vet med is competitive so I'd do everything to make the application as good as you can.

That is true, but to be honest, every career path is going to be competitive.
But what about triple science, art, drama and a language.

I would worry about the coursework load in taking both Art and Drama - lots of stuff happening around Year 11 revision time - the long exam in Art and performances in Drama. Check whether you need to commit to the school play if you take Drama ....

However, pick what you enjoy because high grades will be important :smile:
I am doing Art and triple science and I definitely would recommended both! Even though my school didn't give us many options to pick from I decided on these two and I am so glad I did. Triple science is really good to pick generally, so you have more GCSE's and Art in my opinion is something a bit more chill where I don't need to revise I guess.
That's my opinion though!!
Good luck, and tell me what you end up picking!! 💞

Vet med is one of the most competitive though.

I would worry about the amount of coursework and the pressure towards GCSE time - you'll have the long Art exam and Drama performances right when you are trying to revise {students miss key revision lessons]. Check whether the school will insist you are in school productions if you take Drama.
I'd suggest just one of these but these are your GCSEs and you should do the ones you enjoy and will get good grades.
I done triple science, art, history and French, personally I would advise that you don't take art as the work load is too much and as I wasn't planning on taking it to alevel, to me it was a waste of time. I simply took it to have one less academic subject. History is good and interesting ( for me, as essay writing was a weakness ) French was great, and simple. I say take a language, history and triple science.
To be honest your GCSE options don't have a huge effect , rather your A level subjects do so don't stress about it too much and take what you enjoy and whether you take triple or combined sciences you'll be fine. Ofcourse triple will just help you abit more in alevels. Your core subjects matter the most.

But what about triple science, art, drama and Russian or geography.
I suggest do what you love-
I chose Geo but I regret it because it is easier but much more boring so if I went back in time, I would've taken History.
I love that I took Economics, so if that's an option... I would advise you to consider it...
Also, I regret choosing GCSE PE; I hate it because I get good theory grades but your practical must be top and it is pretty useless
In my opinion, french>>spanish.. mainly cause its easy.
I thought triple science was compulsory- I think it is interesting so I advise you take it- but a lot of content- you'll eventually get through it though...
I regret not taking computing but ppl who took it say it is hard and boring but idk
Hope this helped!
Good luck <3
Original post by deadroseex
I am doing Art and triple science and I definitely would recommended both! Even though my school didn't give us many options to pick from I decided on these two and I am so glad I did. Triple science is really good to pick generally, so you have more GCSE's and Art in my opinion is something a bit more chill where I don't need to revise I guess.
That's my opinion though!!
Good luck, and tell me what you end up picking!! 💞

Thank you for your message!!
If you don't mind me asking how many hours do you spend everyday out of school revising for art and science?

Quick Reply