The Student Room Group

UCAS personal statement employment section

Hi, wondering if being employed by parents as a labourer on various houses (painting, wallpaper removing, digging bb pellets out of walls etc) would be a valid job to put in the employment section of my UCAS application
You could add it, but if its not actually relevant to the subject you are applying for then its probably not worth doing.
That section is really there for mature students to explain their working lives, its not designed for school-leavers.
Original post by 201102
Hi, wondering if being employed by parents as a labourer on various houses (painting, wallpaper removing, digging bb pellets out of walls etc) would be a valid job to put in the employment section of my UCAS application

Hey @201102 ! I'd say include it in the employment section as it's something you've done- so why not mention it somewhere :smile: When it comes to the UCAS form in general- I'd advise applicants to put as much down as they can. You'd rather the university see it and not need it, vs not see it and never be able to consider it in a way. The employment section certainly isn't a majorly important part of the form for school leavers though, as @McGinger has said.

IF you think you've gained relevant skills from your work then you can put some emphasis on this in your Personal Statement. You can use your involvement in your parent's projects to show you can be hard working, willing to work as part of a larger team of other contracting staff and able to work towards deadlines (completion dates). It'd also be super relevant if you're interested in things like Architecture/Civil Engineering for example. The statement isn't very long so try not to use too much space on this if it's not going to be relevant though- don't force it in. What course are you applying for?

Good luck with your application!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending