The Student Room Group

GCSE speaking and listening, is it important

I recently did my speaking and listening exam (I'm in year 10 ) and unluckily I was one of the ones who go selected to be recorded and sent to AQA. I got a distinction and was wondering does it actually matter, I could've gotten a fail and nobody would care. It's not like future universities look at this separate grade right?It's just really annoying I tried so hard not to mess up in the exam and prepare only to find out it's an irrelevant grade. I should have revised for other more important things!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by stfuhfdr
I recently did my speaking and listening exam (I'm in year 10 ) and unluckily I was one of the ones who go selected to be recorded and sent to AQA. I got a distinction and was wondering does it actually matter, I could've gotten a fail and nobody would care. It's not like future universities look at this separate grade right?It's just really annoying I tried so hard not to mess up in the exam and prepare only to find out it's an irrelevant grade. I should have revised for other more important things!

It's probably the most useless compulsory GCSE you will ever take.

You don't need a certificate, or a grade, to show that you can speak articulately. Heck, I got a merit in mine - I know I can speak articulately but I didn't get the distinction because I couldn't be asked to memorize my speech off-head. Does that mean that if I had bothered to memorize my speech the day before I would be heralded as super well-versed in the English Language, and does it show that I can speak like Martin Luther King? Nope. I honestly doubt universities would bat an eye at "GCSE Speaking and Listening".
Reply 2
Original post by Gabzinc
It's probably the most useless compulsory GCSE you will ever take.

You don't need a certificate, or a grade, to show that you can speak articulately. Heck, I got a merit in mine - I know I can speak articulately but I didn't get the distinction because I couldn't be asked to memorize my speech off-head. Does that mean that if I had bothered to memorize my speech the day before I would be heralded as super well-versed in the English Language, and does it show that I can speak like Martin Luther King? Nope. I honestly doubt universities would bat an eye at "GCSE Speaking and Listening".

Why not scrap it completely it's really irritating for schools to force people like myself with social anxiety to do these kinds of things.. whatever i got it over and done with anyways :/
I'm just about to and even though my teacher made it seem as though it had some sort of relevance, I wasn't convinced however what's done is done. Always do the best you can, never slack - it's a bad habit. Don't look back at it as a disappointment but a self achievement :smile:
Why not scrap it completely it's really irritating for schools to force people like myself with social anxiety to do these kinds of things.. whatever I got it over and done with anyways :/

Don't have much experience with issues like this, but is it surely a good thing then that it is compulsory, as it forced you out of your comfort zone and develop or at least practice a life skill?

With regards to the original question, it counts for nothing really. I did old GCSEs, but on our certificate, it just had our total score out of 5 for all our speaking and listening modules beneath the actual grade in the English GCSE. No employer or uni is ever gonna care about what you get in it. I think it used to properly examined and count to the grade before, but they realised this was stupid, but govt still wanted it in the course so that is why it's the weird little side thing it is now.
This skill is probably going to be the most valuable you will take forward from your academic English studies. It is so important that you can present and take questions on a chosen subject in the furtherance of any career, in my view. Work at it and strive for that distinction; it may not count for much as a qualification but will definitely be a valuable skill in your future careers.
Hey, what topic did you do? I haven't done mine yet so I need a topic. I'll be doing mine some time this end of the year. I'm really nervous because I don't talk much to begin with and I'm not sure how to debate in the first place.
I agree with what most people are saying. Im on here writing about mine right now and using your guys's opinion on how to say about how pointless this is for my topic. None of this is relevent for the future. Teachers and work places can see that we know how to talk and listen to others and how to revise on topics so why does it need to be assesed if it counts for nothing?
Reply 8
Original post by sweetstars
Hey, what topic did you do? I haven't done mine yet so I need a topic. I'll be doing mine some time this end of the year. I'm really nervous because I don't talk much to begin with and I'm not sure how to debate in the first place.

Sorry late reply but have you done yours yet?
Reply 9
Original post by sassy_opinions
I agree with what most people are saying. Im on here writing about mine right now and using your guys's opinion on how to say about how pointless this is for my topic. None of this is relevent for the future. Teachers and work places can see that we know how to talk and listen to others and how to revise on topics so why does it need to be assesed if it counts for nothing?

If you did yours, how did it go?
Reply 10
Yes it is important, and you're lot are lucky the whole of my English language class was recorded last year, I thought everyone doing the 9-1 had to do it.

Why is it important? It shows you have the vital skills not only to be fluent in the language, but how to put together a presentation and then to do it. This skill is probably as in important as the exam, especially in certain work. It will also come in very handy if you go on to do certain degrees as a presentation is part of the exam process.

In most work at some point in time you will need to give a presentation to staff whether it is just a huddle to discuss something simple to the more complex. It is a vital skill.
Do you HAVE TO DO A SPEAKING AND LISTENING in English
Original post by Morgan15
Do you HAVE TO DO A SPEAKING AND LISTENING in English

Ikrrrr hey im about to do my speaking and listening too and im dreading it ughh

Anyway have you chosen your topic?
You have to do your speaking & listening to actually be able to sit the papers and be submitted to do that GCSE. It isn't important, at all, however, they like to know if you are confident in the English language otherwise it would be pointless you doing the exam. They are making sure you won't fail basically, it's like a test to make sure you will at least be able to do the exam and write words. I did mine a couple of weeks ago and it was pointless and easy.
Hey can you help with something. I'm doing my speaking and listening test and I decided to do why it shouldn't be mandatory because I don't like the idea. I wanted a prospective from someone with anxiety issues
Why not scrap it completely it's really irritating for schools to force people like myself with social anxiety to do these kinds of things.. whatever i got it over and done with anyways :/

Hi there. I'm doing my speaking and listening test soon and I want help. I'm doing why we shouldn't have to do the speaking and listening test because I think it will be funny. I kinda want a perspective with someone with social anxiety. Could you help?
Original post by hyperblank
Hi there. I'm doing my speaking and listening test soon and I want help. I'm doing why we shouldn't have to do the speaking and listening test because I think it will be funny. I kinda want a perspective with someone with social anxiety. Could you help?

Hi, I know I'm super late but I've been given 1 week to prep my speaking and listening. I suffer badly from anxiety and I never speak in class. I don't know what to talk about and I am dreading standing up in front of the class as I don't feel comfortable.
I don't know whether you've already done the speech, but it's a great topic! :smile:
Original post by average_human
Hi, I know I'm super late but I've been given 1 week to prep my speaking and listening. I suffer badly from anxiety and I never speak in class. I don't know what to talk about and I am dreading standing up in front of the class as I don't feel comfortable.
I don't know whether you've already done the speech, but it's a great topic! :smile:

Hey! Thanks for replying, Luckily the exam was canceled so doesn't matter anymore, if I was that would have been useful so yea thank you. Good luck with whatever you're doing and if you ever want to contact me for some reason my @ on insta is hyperblank
It has no relevance to your grades or future, though it is good practice for public speaking. My school literally told us it was irrelevant, and didn’t take it too seriously. Our teacher made us talk about a pet hate we had, some people talked about hating scooters, hating dominos, I talked about why I hate year 7 (ironic now that I mentor a year 7 form) it’s not something to take seriously, just have a bit of fun with it
How did you do it with your social anxiety? Did you have to memorise it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending