The Student Room Group

UCAS Personal Statement Policy

I created a UCAS account for the 2020 entry application cycle last year and filled it in with my details and added my personal statement but did not complete the "Pay/Send" step as my plans changed. However, I am planning to apply in this application cycle for 2021 entry and was wondering whether I can use the bulk of my 2020 personal statement as it was never sent to universities. Would this be flagged as plagiarism even though that application form was technically never submitted?
Original post by Lapis.Lazuli
I created a UCAS account for the 2020 entry application cycle last year and filled it in with my details and added my personal statement but did not complete the "Pay/Send" step as my plans changed. However, I am planning to apply in this application cycle for 2021 entry and was wondering whether I can use the bulk of my 2020 personal statement as it was never sent to universities. Would this be flagged as plagiarism even though that application form was technically never submitted?

No, this would be fine as it's still your own work- you can reuse aspects of a previous PS no problem!
Original post by SarcAndSpark
No, this would be fine as it's still your own work- you can reuse aspects of a previous PS no problem!

Thanks for your reply. It's just that this paragraph from the UCAS website raised some concerns:

Verification checks
We will make verification checks to ensure your application is accurate, and not fraudulently submitted. This process will include cross-referencing the information submitted on new applications with previously cancelled submissions, and checking personal statements do not include material copied from another source. If any adverse information is revealed about you, we will let you know so you have an opportunity to respond.

Not entirely sure what they mean by cancelled submissions and what's considered "another source".
Thanks for your reply. It's just that this paragraph from the UCAS website raised some concerns:

Verification checks
We will make verification checks to ensure your application is accurate, and not fraudulently submitted. This process will include cross-referencing the information submitted on new applications with previously cancelled submissions, and checking personal statements do not include material copied from another source. If any adverse information is revealed about you, we will let you know so you have an opportunity to respond.

Not entirely sure what they mean by cancelled submissions and what's considered "another source".

I think they are two separate points, but lots of people reapply, reusing part of the PS- it won't cause an issue. You can't plagarise your own work.

Not entirely sure what they mean by 1) cancelled submissions and2) what's considered "another source".

1) If an application was cancelled by them last year because of fraud.
2) Copied from a website with samples of Personal Statements or simply a chunk copied from a book.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I think they are two separate points, but lots of people reapply, reusing part of the PS- it won't cause an issue. You can't plagarise your own work.

Good to know, thanks!
Original post by McGinger
1) If an application was cancelled by them last year because of fraud.
2) Copied from a website with samples of Personal Statements or simply a chunk copied from a book.

That clears it up, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending