The Student Room Group

Can't swallow pills/capsules - fear of choking

It has taken me almost 2 hours to take a capsule for my dental problem which caused theatrics. It doesn't help, when everyone is saying to put it on your tongue and drink it with water when I'm honestly trying, I'm switching between drinks (orange & water) to hopefully swallow it and nothing is working. Up until, someone suggested to take it with yogurt which I did. I ended up chewing it a bit and before I knew it, I could feel it sliding down the back of my throat and then it did. I drunk some of my water right after it. During the whole situation it brought tears to my eyes, because no one understands and I get it, it's easier for you but it may not be easy for other people, like myself who struggle.
All pain that I experience, I use tablets that dissolve in water which is 100x easier and simpler for me, and gets the job done.
I can't take tablets and capsules and it's been like this for years, even when I was a child I struggled, and had to have it put on a teaspoon mixed with jam.
I struggle so much with taking tablets, that there are times I would crush it or bite it in my mouth in order to take. I've realised this isn't good for me, and I've stopped completely. I'm 21 years old and have a fear of the tablet/capsules getting stuck in my throat and choking.
I try not to think of it, (in my throat) even though it's hard, and keep reminding myself that I'm okay but it's really difficult :frown: I need to know how to take it without fearing the worst but it's hard :frown:
My doctor has prescribed me with Amoxicillin to be taken (with advised instructions of course) for my dental infection / abscess for 5 days. And I am honestly dreading taking the next capsule knowing how long it will take me and the high emotions I will suffer.
I don't know what it is and what to do anymore, I hate that I am struggling with something that is so common for everybody but completely challenging for me.
Does anyone have any advice or solution? Thanks!
If you break the capsule in half, you can pour the powder into a glass of water. The red/yellow (or other colour) ones right? You can separate the two colours by pulling them apart and inside there's powder. Are you ok with this method or does it bring the same reactions?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 2_versions
If you break the capsule in half, you can pour the powder into a glass of water. The red/yellow (or other colour) ones right? You can separate the two colours by pulling them apart and inside there's powder. Are you ok with this method or does it bring the same reactions?

Thank you. I wasn't aware you could break the capsule.
I'm going to try this method. I don't think I should have an issue as it's just powder poured into a glass of water.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm going to try this method. I don't think I should have an issue as it's just powder poured into a glass of water.

No problem, sounds like a real tough situation you're going through and "just swallow" isn't reassuring I'm sure. :smile:
Update me how it goes whenever you're next tablet is. Also I would only do it with these specific tablets (amoxicillin) because on some they're specifically designed to be taken in capsule form and shouldn't be opened without GP's advice, so next time you have another medication in capsule just ask. These are fine to open though.
Reply 4

If you get really stuck amoxicillin does come in a liquid suspension so you could ask your doctor to prescribe that instead. This is a psychological thing which you can get over but do not worry for now just get your antibiotics down you in some form.
Reply 5

Please don't assume you can do this with any medication. It might be ok for Amoxicillin -- I don't know, I don't have medical or pharmacy training -- but I suspect it's not true for every medication.
It has taken me almost 2 hours to take a capsule for my dental problem which caused theatrics. It doesn't help, when everyone is saying to put it on your tongue and drink it with water when I'm honestly trying, I'm switching between drinks (orange & water) to hopefully swallow it and nothing is working. Up until, someone suggested to take it with yogurt which I did. I ended up chewing it a bit and before I knew it, I could feel it sliding down the back of my throat and then it did. I drunk some of my water right after it. During the whole situation it brought tears to my eyes, because no one understands and I get it, it's easier for you but it may not be easy for other people, like myself who struggle.
All pain that I experience, I use tablets that dissolve in water which is 100x easier and simpler for me, and gets the job done.
I can't take tablets and capsules and it's been like this for years, even when I was a child I struggled, and had to have it put on a teaspoon mixed with jam.
I struggle so much with taking tablets, that there are times I would crush it or bite it in my mouth in order to take. I've realised this isn't good for me, and I've stopped completely. I'm 21 years old and have a fear of the tablet/capsules getting stuck in my throat and choking.
I try not to think of it, (in my throat) even though it's hard, and keep reminding myself that I'm okay but it's really difficult :frown: I need to know how to take it without fearing the worst but it's hard :frown:
My doctor has prescribed me with Amoxicillin to be taken (with advised instructions of course) for my dental infection / abscess for 5 days. And I am honestly dreading taking the next capsule knowing how long it will take me and the high emotions I will suffer.
I don't know what it is and what to do anymore, I hate that I am struggling with something that is so common for everybody but completely challenging for me.
Does anyone have any advice or solution? Thanks!

I have the same issue! I find room temperature water is best and hold down you thumb under your fingers to stop you gagging, I hope this helped!
Reply 7
Original post by 2_versions
No problem, sounds like a real tough situation you're going through and "just swallow" isn't reassuring I'm sure. :smile:
Update me how it goes whenever you're next tablet is. Also I would only do it with these specific tablets (amoxicillin) because on some they're specifically designed to be taken in capsule form and shouldn't be opened without GP's advice, so next time you have another medication in capsule just ask. These are fine to open though.

Yeah it's real tough. And I don't get the judgment I'm getting from it.
Well I've just taken my next tablet and I did what you said and It went good. I had put the power on the spoon with my yoghurt and swallowed it down with water right after.
I hope I'll be okay with breaking up the capsule because I don't have a GP advice and I did mention it with my doctor at my dentist that I had trouble with swallowing tablets he said I just have to try. Next time when I'm given medicine I'm going to ask for an alternative method.
Reply 8
Next time when I'm given medicine I'm going to ask for an alternative method.

It's certainly worth asking the person prescribing if there's an alternative to tablets/capsules.

You could also check with the pharmacist when you get something dispensed. The pharmacist has to dispense exactly what's on the prescription, but they might be familiar with what alternatives are available in a way a GP/dentist might not be. For example, a GP might not know that medicine X is available in liquid form as well as tablet form. That way you know for next time you're prescribed medicine X.
Yeah it's real tough. And I don't get the judgment I'm getting from it.
Well I've just taken my next tablet and I did what you said and It went good. I had put the power on the spoon with my yoghurt and swallowed it down with water right after.
I hope I'll be okay with breaking up the capsule because I don't have a GP advice and I did mention it with my doctor at my dentist that I had trouble with swallowing tablets he said I just have to try. Next time when I'm given medicine I'm going to ask for an alternative method.

Ah that's great! Hopefully you can finish your course of anitbiotics without too much anxiety now.
And yeah with these breaking the capsule should be ok, but as you said alternative methods would probably be best for other stuff. Good luck anyway, and I hope you manage to get over that fear eventually. Don't force yourself though, it's common to not be able to take tablets. :smile:
Does anyone have any advice or solution? Thanks

Just imagine how small the tablets are (especially if you break them in half) compared to chunks of food that you swallow every day. I couldn't swallow tablets for a long time because of fear of choking but I found away that made it easy and didn't even feel the tablet going down. If you tilt your head back and take a massive mouthful of water with the tablet and then swallow it goes down your throat so easily, most of the time you just feel like you've swallowed water, forgetting there was even a tablet in there. Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending