The Student Room Group

Which Oxford colleges tend to be the most left wing in regards to tutors?

I'm applying for PPE at Oxford this October and was hoping if any current students could lend their insights into the political leanings of their politics and economics tutors. Oxford's got a reputation of being fairly right wing, ignoring students ofc, and I assume that's reflected in the colleges' tutors.

Whilst I think my personal statement is reasonably balanced and mentions an open mindedness to the political and economic views of others, I'm still a bit worried that a tutor will be dismissive of the texts and writers I cite as influences (Kropotkin, Chomsky, Marx, Paul Mason, ect.).

So, to avoid that potentially coming up, does anyone know which colleges tend to have tutors who are interested, or at least tolerant of, those sorts of thinkers? Also, is it possible I'm over thinking this and have a relatively equal shot, regardless of the college?
Statistically academics are overwhelmingly left-wing.

You'll be fine.
Original post by xBasedChris

You'll be fine.

If that’s the case how come so many tories get into oxford/are educated at oxford? :holmes:

Boris, george osbourne, david cameron, theresa may, tony blair (he’s basically a tory (right wing nut job) etc. With so many left leaning tutors you’d think they’d try to affect the future direction of this country by only letting in leftist students!
(edited 3 years ago)

You'll be fine.

I always thought Oxford was Hayek and Cambridge was Keynes, with the faculty being, at the most, liberals or progressives with mostly centrist economic views.
Original post by boulderingislife
If that’s the case how come so many tories get into oxford/are educated at oxford? :holmes:

Boris, george osbourne, david cameron, theresa may, tony blair (he’s basically a tory (right wing nut job) etc. With so many left leaning tutors you’d think they’d try to affect the future direction of this country by only letting in leftist students!

Meanwhile, a vast majority of students are left-wing.
Meanwhile, a vast majority of students are left-wing.

Why are there so many tory politicians then?
No one knows which colleges have more left wing tutors. More importantly, it doesn't matter. The PPE application system is much too sophisticated to select students based on who they mention in their personal statement. So yes you are overthinking it.

Plenty of Labour MPs also went to Oxford.

And that a now powerful group of Tories went to Oxford 30 years ago tell us nothing about the current student body- which, poll results show, is broadly left/centre-left.
I'd recommend looking at Mansfield. The academics will broadly be the same whichever college you choose, and it's likely that you'll be taught be academics from a variety of colleges, however Mansfield seems very keen on increasing diversity and equality of opportunities (it has by far the largest proportion of state school students, for example) and the student population may be similar in that regard.
Original post by AspidistraCrashd
I'm applying for PPE at Oxford this October and was hoping if any current students could lend their insights into the political leanings of their politics and economics tutors. Oxford's got a reputation of being fairly right wing, ignoring students ofc, and I assume that's reflected in the colleges' tutors.

Whilst I think my personal statement is reasonably balanced and mentions an open mindedness to the political and economic views of others, I'm still a bit worried that a tutor will be dismissive of the texts and writers I cite as influences (Kropotkin, Chomsky, Marx, Paul Mason, ect.).

So, to avoid that potentially coming up, does anyone know which colleges tend to have tutors who are interested, or at least tolerant of, those sorts of thinkers? Also, is it possible I'm over thinking this and have a relatively equal shot, regardless of the college?

Hi, as long as you’re a female lesbian POC in a wheelchair you’ll be admitted to Oxford straight away, no questions asked. I don’t think you even need to interview last time I checked. Hope that helps.

All tutors will be tolerant of your thinking! PPE tutors will have spent more time than you can possibly imagine reading similar thinkers. Maybe have a look at tutors bios: they're often on the college website. Colleges that are stereotypically right-wing are Christ Church, Trinity and maybe Oriel. But you'll find your people at any college, and most Oxford colleges are thought to be left-wing, especially Mansfield and Wadham. I go to John's and all the PPE students in my year are centre-left or left-wing.
Original post by Confusedboutlife
All tutors will be tolerant of your thinking! PPE tutors will have spent more time than you can possibly imagine reading similar thinkers. Maybe have a look at tutors bios: they're often on the college website. Colleges that are stereotypically right-wing are Christ Church, Trinity and maybe Oriel. But you'll find your people at any college, and most Oxford colleges are thought to be left-wing, especially Mansfield and Wadham. I go to John's and all the PPE students in my year are centre-left or left-wing.

Please see the above post.

As a student of Marx, you'll appreciate that people's political inclinations reflect their material and class position, and Gramsci will tell you about ideology and the balance of class forces. The influence of University tutorials comes a long way down the list :wink:

To address your specific question, you might want to shortlist a few colleges, then look at the college websites for their tutorial/teaching staff and their interests. But bear in mind, people listed as tutors might not be the people you have most of your tutorials with....
Original post by OxFossil
As a student of Marx, you'll appreciate that people's political inclinations reflect their material and class position, and Gramsci will tell you about ideology and the balance of class forces. The influence of University tutorials comes a long way down the list :wink:

To address your specific question, you might want to shortlist a few colleges, then look at the college websites for their tutorial/teaching staff and their interests. But bear in mind, people listed as tutors might not be the people you have most of your tutorials with....

I think you quoted the wrong person :holmes:
I think you quoted the wrong person :holmes:

By Jove, Holmes, you're right. Thank you.

At the application stage, I think it highly unlikely that ATs will be put off by an ostensibly 'left' or 'right' wing applicant. If you academics are excellent, and your PS makes good use of those references, they'll be interested.

By all means take a look at colleges' teaching staff and their biographies, but don't be too swayed by them in your choice of college.
No tutors are going to be dismissive of the influences you cite, regardless of their own political leanings, provided you talk about them intelligently.

It is true, as others have suggested, that academics lean much more left than right, and it is also true of Oxford specifically.
Original post by Lazarevic
Hi, as long as you’re a female lesbian POC in a wheelchair you’ll be admitted to Oxford straight away, no questions asked. I don’t think you even need to interview last time I checked. Hope that helps.

Original post by Estreth
No tutors are going to be dismissive of the influences you cite, regardless of their own political leanings, provided you talk about them intelligently.

It is true, as others have suggested, that academics lean much more left than right, and it is also true of Oxford specifically.

Hi there, please see above post for quick admission to Oxford
I imagine selection is based more on your ability to talk and think about their works intelligently than whether you're an icky Marxist or something.
Original post by Theloniouss
I imagine selection is based more on your ability to talk and think about their works intelligently than whether you're an icky Marxist or something.

Please see above post regarding admissions.

Tens of thousands of people currently out in the world attended Oxford and similar institutions, a few MPs largely from the 1980s proves nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending