The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough for Cambridge? (Urgent)

I am worried I won't even be considered for an interview because of them. I am applying for physics (through natural sciences).
My GCSE's were 5 grade 6's and 5 grade 8's.
At AS I got an A for further maths
My A level prediction are:
Maths - A*
Psychology - A*
Physics - A or a B (I will find out soon enough)

My question is, if I get the A*A*B with the B in physics, would it really hold me back? I realise if I get A*A*A I should be fine as that is the minimum entry requirements, but if the former is the case, how screwed am I? And how well would I have to do in my entrance exams to maybe get an interview?

Thank you!
You have 5 choices on ucas, so if you want to apply I would do so and worry about each step as it comes- just do the best you can at the entrance exam, then the interview and then your real exams if you progress all the way.
I would say with oxbridge, all courses are so competitive that if you don't have the minimum entry requirements, it's very unlikely you'll be considered. In that case if you do achieve higher in your real exams you could apply next year.
I would go for it if you want to though, as long as you've got 4 others :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by historynerd47
You have 5 choices on ucas, so if you want to apply I would do so and worry about each step as it comes- just do the best you can at the entrance exam, then the interview and then your real exams if you progress all the way.
I would say with oxbridge, all courses are so competitive that if you don't have the minimum entry requirements, it's very unlikely you'll be considered. In that case if you do achieve higher in your real exams you could apply next year.
I would go for it if you want to though, as long as you've got 4 others :smile:

I appreixate your reply thank you. Do you think being predicted an A*A*A with the A in physics would still make it unlikely to be considered?
Original post by Heli2022
I appreixate your reply thank you. Do you think being predicted an A*A*A with the A in physics would still make it unlikely to be considered?

That's the entry requirements right?
In that case, you would absolutely be considered. The difficult thing with oxbridge is that it is genuinely quite unpredictable who gets in and who doesn't. We had loads of oxbridge applicants at my school, and it was very random who got in. For example, some got in with AAA and others didn't with four A*s on the same course- with no obvious difference in their applications. So I can't promise or even predict anything. But they mean it with their entry requirements- if that is what they say they want then they do accept that. Just go for it and see what happens, but keep your back ups of course :smile:
Reply 4
I am worried I won't even be considered for an interview because of them. I am applying for physics (through natural sciences).

Maths - A*
Psychology - A*

My question is, if I get the A*A*B with the B in physics, would it really hold me back? I realise if I get A*A*A I should be fine as that is the minimum entry requirements, but if the former is the case, how screwed am I? And how well would I have to do in my entrance exams to maybe get an interview?

Thank you!

I'd be more concerned about your A level subject choices. Technically if you have 2 science subjects at A level you meet the minimum requirements for Natsci, but most applicants have 3 subjects out of Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. and a full A level in Further Maths can be especially useful for Physical Natsci students. I would suggest looking at individual college requirements too, because some are very specific about their A level requirements for the course.
Original post by davros
I'd be more concerned about your A level subject choices. Technically if you have 2 science subjects at A level you meet the minimum requirements for Natsci, but most applicants have 3 subjects out of Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. and a full A level in Further Maths can be especially useful for Physical Natsci students. I would suggest looking at individual college requirements too, because some are very specific about their A level requirements for the course.

Second this. If you did get an offer with your combination, it's almost a certainty they will ask for A*A* in maths and physics.

Also defs cover further maths content at least to AS (take the exam is possible, perhaps) as that will help an application. If school doesn't do it, self teach - lots of free online resources to help this!
Reply 6
Original post by Paralove
Second this. If you did get an offer with your combination, it's almost a certainty they will ask for A*A* in maths and physics.

Also defs cover further maths content at least to AS (take the exam is possible, perhaps) as that will help an application. If school doesn't do it, self teach - lots of free online resources to help this!

If I read their post correctly, they did take FM to AS level. Really think they should have taken it to full A level (possibly dropping Psychology if concerned about workload, although given that NatSci has a high workload anyway a prospective applicant should be capable of handling a 4 A -level workload even if not technically required!)
Original post by davros
If I read their post correctly, they did take FM to AS level. Really think they should have taken it to full A level (possibly dropping Psychology if concerned about workload, although given that NatSci has a high workload anyway a prospective applicant should be capable of handling a 4 A -level workload even if not technically required!)

Ah yes you're right! I'm absolutely knackered so not good reading there :rolleyes:

OP - as davros suggests, take FM to full A-Level. It will have a big impact on your competitiveness in the process.

And as you say - it's common for natural scientists to do 4 subjects so just continuing with FM shouldn't be a problem.
Doing the full FM A level would be sensible. B in physics would probably keep you out, but otherwise I'd say you're likely to get an interview.
Reply 9
I agree with Davros - I'd push quite heavily for a physics applicant to do at least 3/4 of: Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Further Maths. I'd recommend dropping Psychology for Further Maths.
My GCSE's were 5 grade 6's and 5 grade 8's.
Maths - A*
Psychology - A*

Thank you!

Not good enough for cambridge. You are only Oxford material. :pierre:
If you are predicted a B in A-level Physics I would say it's not worth pursuing the option. If you get predicted an A or A* then sure, just make sure you carefully check and find a college that will consider someone with only A-level Maths and one other science (there are a few I believe). In the latter case I also would not recommend you get your hopes up too much as I think it would be a long shot still. Most applicants will have 3 or 4 STEM A-levels from the core sciences/maths/FM (Cambridge don't consider A-level Psychology to be a STEM subject as far as natsci admissions go), so you are already potentially at a disadvantage even assuming you do meet the standard offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending