The Student Room Group

Can I get into Dentistry with a 5 in English

I got my gcse’s this year this meant that instead of doing the final exam I got a predicted grade based off what my teacher thought I would get in the real exam. I was happy with all my grades initially but now I have an issue, I only hot a 5 in English Language and Im worried it will hold my back from career in the medical world. Im interested in becoming a dentist ,could I get in? I got a 7 in maths an 8 in biology and a 7 in Chemistry. Would I still be able to get onto a uni if I develop a strong personal statement or is there another medical career that I could go into? Im looking to get AAA at a-level (Biology chemistry, psychology)
yeah you're good.
Original post by FrancescaDav03
I got my gcse’s this year this meant that instead of doing the final exam I got a predicted grade based off what my teacher thought I would get in the real exam. I was happy with all my grades initially but now I have an issue, I only hot a 5 in English Language and Im worried it will hold my back from career in the medical world. Im interested in becoming a dentist ,could I get in? I got a 7 in maths an 8 in biology and a 7 in Chemistry. Would I still be able to get onto a uni if I develop a strong personal statement or is there another medical career that I could go into? Im looking to get AAA at a-level (Biology chemistry, psychology)

Resit it. Thats what I did and it was best descision I made regarding my application as having a 5 will restrict you quite a lot. GCSE english language requirements are moslty a tick box thing I think and if you don't have the grade they want (usually a 6) you won't get an interview. I'm not sure if your too late but if you can, you should sit the exam which will over ride the grade your teachers gave you as it won't be seen as a resit. Lucky for me I did well in english literature so universities (like Birmingham) that don't accept resits sometimes accept your literature result if you have it (most accept GCSE resits I think). Regarding other medical careers there are tons such as Dental therapy and Dental Hygiene that often require a 4 in English Lang so don't worry about it if you don't mind not doing dentistry or medicine. If your serious about dentistry and you think you have a good shot at getting a 6 or 7 doing a proper exam you should resist. You don't want to restrict your application because of a single GCSE grade.
@Mesopotamian. :smile:
Don't you have a shiny new 'Am I good enough for Dentistry' thread you could move this into too? :biggrin:
Original post by becausethenight
@Mesopotamian. :smile:
Don't you have a shiny new 'Am I good enough for Dentistry' thread you could move this into too? :biggrin:

Prsom
I don't move them as merging causes issues for the site but I usually just link in the thread and ask OP to post in there, but it seems their question has already been answered so no need :lol:
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Prsom
I don't move them as merging causes issues for the site but I usually just link in the thread and ask OP to post in there, but it seems their question has already been answered so no need :lol:

Ah funny as with Medicine ecolier merges without mercy :lol:
Ah funny as with Medicine ecolier merges without mercy :lol:

Very true, ecolier has special powers, whilst I'm just a mere forum helper :rofl:
Very true, ecolier has special powers, whilst I'm just a mere forum helper :rofl:

Get yourself bumped up to VT ASAP - tell them you need the special powers :biggrin:
Get yourself bumped up to VT ASAP - tell them you need the special powers :biggrin:

Nooo I have a full-time job already looking after the dentistry forum as a FH, I'd have to be glued to TSR 24/7 if I became a VT :rofl3:
Nooo I have a full-time job already looking after the dentistry forum as a FH, I'd have to be glued to TSR 24/7 if I became a VT :rofl3:

:rofl: You mean you're not glued to TSR 24/7 already?? Shame!!
:rofl: You mean you're not glued to TSR 24/7 already?? Shame!!

Dental school by day, dental forum by night :gthumb:
Dental school by day, dental forum by night :gthumb:

Are you back in uni now? It must be full on!
Are you back in uni now? It must be full on!

It’s only been online so far :nothing:
It’s only been online so far :nothing:

:rolleyes: Seriously? Are your placements etc cancelled?
:rolleyes: Seriously? Are your placements etc cancelled?

We do have placements but much less than normal 4th year so they haven’t started as of yet (although today I had the induction session for one of our outreach clinics :banana:)
We do have placements but much less than normal 4th year so they haven’t started as of yet (although today I had the induction session for one of our outreach clinics :banana:)

Ah that makes sense, it’s still not great though. Hope the induction went well :biggrin:
bloodclat
bombaclaaaaaaaat

Quick Reply

Latest