The Student Room Group

Subjects in A Levels

I’m studying four A levels at sixth form (maths, further maths, economics and psychology). I really enjoy maths and further maths and also enjoy economics and psychology but not as much at maths. I’m only 3 weeks into sixth form and I’ve done really well in all my assessments so far but I’m struggling to keep up with all the work they are setting us so I would like to drop a subject. I don’t want to drop maths or further maths but maybe economics or psychology. The problem is that apparently further maths is the hardest a level and if it gets too hard further down the line, I can drop it which means that if I attend further maths I have to do 4 A levels. However, I would rather do further maths than economics or psychology but they won’t let me and I really don’t wanna do 4 A-Levels

Someone please help
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by man_lykemo
I’m studying four A levels at sixth form (maths, further maths, economics and psychology). I really enjoy maths and further maths and also enjoy economics and psychology but not as much at maths. I’m only 3 weeks into sixth form and I’ve done really well in all my assessments so far but I’m struggling to keep up with all the work they are setting us so I would like to drop a subject. I don’t want to drop maths or further maths but maybe economics or psychology. The problem is that apparently further maths is the hardest a level and if it gets too hard further down the line, I can drop it which means that if I attend further maths I have to do 4 A levels. However, I would rather do further maths than economics or psychology but they won’t let me and I really don’t wanna do 4 A-Levels

Someone please help

Hey there,

In my school if you do further math then you have to take four alevels in total like you in this case. This is because the majority of universities don’t take further maths and just a thrid a level because it’s literally maths at an advanced level which will put you at a risk because you won’t have many unis to apply to that only allow you to have 3 with one of them being further maths. I’m in year 13 and if you don’t like a subject don’t do it. But here it’s a little different. If it’s a case where you cannot handle the workload then drop further maths. If you are certain of the degree that you want to do that requires further maths your going to have to keep all four because I haven’t heard a uni so far that just allows further maths to be considered apart of 3 alevels if that makes sense. Although I could be wrong. If you genuinely feel like it’s actually burdenous to be doing 4 alevels then drop econ or psychology but your just gonna have to do your research for the unis you want to apply to!

Hope this helped 😊
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest