The Student Room Group

Parliament Fast Stream - work at the heart of democracy

Hi all,

Today we're opening the UK Parliament Fast Stream programme for 2021.

Apply now, and in a year you could start your placement in the House of Commons or House of Lords.

As you might know, Parliament and Government are not the same but the Fast Stream application process is similar.

As a Fast Streamer, you’ll work with politicians from all parties to scrutinise Government policy and support the UK’s democratic process. You might manage evidence sessions for a select committee inquiry, or work in Commons or Lords Chamber assisting in the passage of legislation.

We'll keep an eye on this thread, so if you have questions about being a Parliament Fast Streamer, the applications process, or what it's like working in Parliament - just let us know :smile:
Thanks Boris 🙏🏼
Reply 2
Are applications as competitive as the regular Civil Service fast stream scheme as well? And are there are any tips regarding the application process? Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by V℮rsions
Thanks Boris 🙏🏼

Oh dear.

Need to read up on the difference between government an parliament huh?
Original post by Quady
Oh dear.

Need to read up on the difference between government an parliament huh?

not particularly :biggrin:
Is it true you only have five places available on the scheme?
Original post by sarskinz
Are applications as competitive as the regular Civil Service fast stream scheme as well? And are there are any tips regarding the application process? Thank you!

Hi Sarskinz, thanks for your question. We recruit through the Civil Service Fast Stream, so the application process is the same until after the Fast Stream Assessment Centre (FSAC). The top candidates who are successful at FSAC and have chosen Houses of Parliament as a preference are invited to a final selection board (interview). Our main tip would be to make sure you’re familiar with the criteria being assessed. You can find more information here: https://www.faststream.gov.uk/how-to-apply

Good luck!
Original post by Archdukes
Is it true you only have five places available on the scheme?

Hi Archdukes, the House of Lords and House of Commons are both relatively small employers, so we take on a relatively small cohort of Fast Streamers. This year we’re looking to recruit around 6 Fast Streamers in total. There are lots of benefits to working in a smaller organisation, including getting to know colleagues quickly, including the most senior colleagues.

Don’t be put off one of the benefits of the Fast Stream process is that you can choose four scheme options as preferences, so it’s worth choosing the HoP scheme if you think you’d enjoy working in Parliament!
Reply 8
Why is the Parliament Fast Stream the most competitive in terms of applicants to places available?
Original post by Loafie
Why is the Parliament Fast Stream the most competitive in terms of applicants to places available?

The Houses of Parliament scheme is different from the other Fast Stream schemes because successful candidates work for either the House of Commons or the House of Lords rather than the Civil Service. From the first week on the job, Fast Streamers interact with MPs/Peers from across the political spectrum, which our Fast Streamers consider to be a real advantage to the role. Other advantages include being right in the middle of what’s happening (our Fast Streamers are on a rota for recording the results of votes in the Houses), working on high profile select committee inquiries which might attract lots of media interest, and the Palace of Westminster being your office. We think those are probably some of the reasons why lots of people choose to apply for the Houses of Parliament scheme!

The House of Lords and House of Commons are both relatively small employers, so we take on a relatively small cohort of Fast Streamers.
Reply 10
Hi,Last year we could also apply directly to the UK Parliament Graduate Development Programme through Bright Network. Is this being run this year too? If so, when will applications open?Thanks!
Original post by js1036
Hi,Last year we could also apply directly to the UK Parliament Graduate Development Programme through Bright Network. Is this being run this year too? If so, when will applications open?Thanks!

Hi! We’re only recruiting through the Civil Service Fast Stream for our graduate intake this year, but the scheme has expanded to include positions in the House of Lords as well as the House of Commons.

If you’re interested in working in Parliament and you’re not successful through the Fast Stream, we recommend you keep an eye on the jobs webpages of both Houses, where there are lots of other opportunities to work for us.
Reply 12
Hi- is there additional information that would need to be provided after the video interview? Is this another WBS style test?
Has anyone already video interviewed?
Reply 14
Original post by 34534829
Has anyone already video interviewed?

Yes - I have this Stream as my first choice and was invited to video interview this week. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Official House of Commons
Hi! We’re only recruiting through the Civil Service Fast Stream for our graduate intake this year, but the scheme has expanded to include positions in the House of Lords as well as the House of Commons.

If you’re interested in working in Parliament and you’re not successful through the Fast Stream, we recommend you keep an eye on the jobs webpages of both Houses, where there are lots of other opportunities to work for us.

I have a quick question! I made this Stream my first choice and I am wondering if I hypothetically made it to the Stream's final selection panel, if I didn't pass it, would I be dropped from the Fast Stream altogether? Or would I still be offered my second choice (not requiring selection panel) if I did not make it onto this Stream? Thank you very much! :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by belagl
Hi- is there additional information that would need to be provided after the video interview? Is this another WBS style test?

Hi there! After the video interview, the next stage in the application process is the Fast Stream Assessment Centre followed by the Final Selection Board. You can find out more information about the different stages on the Fast Stream website.
Original post by Rinkas
I have a quick question! I made this Stream my first choice and I am wondering if I hypothetically made it to the Stream's final selection panel, if I didn't pass it, would I be dropped from the Fast Stream altogether? Or would I still be offered my second choice (not requiring selection panel) if I did not make it onto this Stream? Thank you very much! :smile:

Hi @Rinkas, if you are successful in your application to your first preference scheme you will be appointed to that scheme; if you are not successful in your application to your first preference scheme but you are successful in your application to your second preference scheme you will be appointed to that scheme; and so on.
Original post by Official House of Commons
Hi there! After the video interview, the next stage in the application process is the Fast Stream Assessment Centre followed by the Final Selection Board. You can find out more information about the different stages on the Fast Stream website.

Hi, on the civil service fast stream FAQs and website, it states that the HoP scheme does require additional information after the video interview... but is this not true then?
Original post by hedwig8
Hi, on the civil service fast stream FAQs and website, it states that the HoP scheme does require additional information after the video interview... but is this not true then?

Hello! Full details of the application process can be found here-
https://www.faststream.gov.uk/houses-of-parliament/index.html
Some schemes require additional information after the video interview and before the Fast Stream Assessment Centre. The Houses of Parliament Scheme does not require additional information in between these two core stages of the application process. Hope that clarifies things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending