The Student Room Group

struggling to pick a degree

I am struggling to choose what degree to do at university. I don't really have a preference for any subject and id honestly be open to studying most degrees. I'm a very indecisive person and I can see myself wanting to work in many different fields in the future. Which degrees are generally most flexible in terms of job opportunities? For context I'm doing a level maths, chemistry and Spanish so my a level options are already quite diverse.
Reply 1
Science, something like biomedical science. You can really go into a wide range of things due to the skills you pick up and it being a STEM degree. However I would say if you don’t know what to do take time off to think about it as its not a cheap decision
Original post by Fionnc
Science, something like biomedical science. You can really go into a wide range of things due to the skills you pick up and it being a STEM degree. However I would say if you don’t know what to do take time off to think about it as its not a cheap decision

I will have a look into that thanks.. In regards to the time thing though, I was planning to take a gap year and start uni next September but didn't end up getting the grades I wanted so I'm resitting the year (Cag's and exam shambles). I'm wondering if I should just complete my a levels then take a gap year however I will be 20 when I start uni then which is why I might just put an application in this year?
Look at a Maths/Chemistry degree with study abroad in a Spanish speaking country?
This could make you very employable. One example : https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/chemistry-study-abroad-mchem-hons-f1t7/

Or using Maths and Chemistry - Neuroscience : https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/neuroscience/bsc-neuroscience/ or Chemical Engineering : https://www.brunel.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/Chemical-Engineering-BEng

Or, for something totally different, 'Law and Spanish' (you dont need specific subjects at A level for Law, just good grades) : https://courses.aber.ac.uk/undergraduate/law-spanish/ or even 'Law with Spanish Law' which many UK Unis offer.
Or Hispanic Studies : https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/Hispanic-Studies-BA
Original post by McGinger
Look at a Maths/Chemistry degree with study abroad in a Spanish speaking country?
This could make you very employable. One example : https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/chemistry-study-abroad-mchem-hons-f1t7/

Or using Maths and Chemistry - Neuroscience : https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/neuroscience/bsc-neuroscience/ or Chemical Engineering : https://www.brunel.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/Chemical-Engineering-BEng

Or, for something totally different, 'Law and Spanish' (you dont need specific subjects at A level for Law, just good grades) : https://courses.aber.ac.uk/undergraduate/law-spanish/ or even 'Law with Spanish Law' which many UK Unis offer.
Or Hispanic Studies : https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/Hispanic-Studies-BA

Thank you! I'm definitely considering both neuroscience and chemical engineering, both look very interesting..I considered law but ultimately decided id be better off doing another degree then doing a conversion because I know i will end up changing my mind 😬😂
Reply 5
Original post by Lookingzar
I will have a look into that thanks.. In regards to the time thing though, I was planning to take a gap year and start uni next September but didn't end up getting the grades I wanted so I'm resitting the year (Cag's and exam shambles). I'm wondering if I should just complete my a levels then take a gap year however I will be 20 when I start uni then which is why I might just put an application in this year?

I’d say do your re-sits and still take a gap year. I was in the same situation and in the end didn’t end up going to uni until I was 22 which you feel is too late, but it’s still so young. You’d be surprised at how many people don’t go straight from uni and how much life experience you gain. If you consider biomed I’d definitely recommend kings college london, their first year is general with all bioscience (neuroscience, pharmacology, genetics etc etc) and then can pick if you want to stay on biomed or go down a different route from 2nd year
I am struggling to choose what degree to do at university. I don't really have a preference for any subject and id honestly be open to studying most degrees. I'm a very indecisive person and I can see myself wanting to work in many different fields in the future. Which degrees are generally most flexible in terms of job opportunities? For context I'm doing a level maths, chemistry and Spanish so my a level options are already quite diverse.

Look at this from a different angle. If you're unsure what degree you want to do, why are you considering university in the first place? Generally you want to do a degree because it'll move you closer to your goals, and it's typically the stepping stone to get your first graduate job. But if you're unsure what you want to do, the degree isn't as useful.

Don't feel like you have to rush to uni. I personally spent an extra 2 years at college and took a gap year before deciding that uni was right for me because I'd chosen a suitable course. Take your time, and make sure you're doing what's right for you. A degree is a huge investment of time and money (to some extent), you don't have to get it perfect but it's good to have a reasonable idea why you're studying in the first place.
Original post by Fionnc
I’d say do your re-sits and still take a gap year. I was in the same situation and in the end didn’t end up going to uni until I was 22 which you feel is too late, but it’s still so young. You’d be surprised at how many people don’t go straight from uni and how much life experience you gain. If you consider biomed I’d definitely recommend kings college london, their first year is general with all bioscience (neuroscience, pharmacology, genetics etc etc) and then can pick if you want to stay on biomed or go down a different route from 2nd year

Thank you.. I will definitely consider that especially because I didn't get to do a gap year this year . I have had a look at London uni's like Kings but I'm slightly worried they might treat my application differently because I'm resitting though. The biosciences degree sounds promising, didn't realise you can pick what you want in the second year!
Yeah I would echo what others have said and I would definitely not go to university unless you are sure about what you want to study
Original post by AcseI
Look at this from a different angle. If you're unsure what degree you want to do, why are you considering university in the first place? Generally you want to do a degree because it'll move you closer to your goals, and it's typically the stepping stone to get your first graduate job. But if you're unsure what you want to do, the degree isn't as useful.

Don't feel like you have to rush to uni. I personally spent an extra 2 years at college and took a gap year before deciding that uni was right for me because I'd chosen a suitable course. Take your time, and make sure you're doing what's right for you. A degree is a huge investment of time and money (to some extent), you don't have to get it perfect but it's good to have a reasonable idea why you're studying in the first place.

Yeah I hadnt thought of it like that actually.. I did have a look at apprenticeships but even then they seemed very vocational and I wasn't sure if it would give me the flexibility I wanted. The thing is though, I just don't know what I'd do instead if I didn't go to uni.. I'm slowly starting to think the gap year might be the way to go
Yeah I hadnt thought of it like that actually.. I did have a look at apprenticeships but even then they seemed very vocational and I wasn't sure if it would give me the flexibility I wanted. The thing is though, I just don't know what I'd do instead if I didn't go to uni.. I'm slowly starting to think the gap year might be the way to go

Definitely. You’ve just gotta find out what to do in the gap year that’s going to help you figure out what you want to do. Get a part time job? Work Experience? Volunteer? Travel? Those are essentially your main four options when it comes to gap years.

This is basically why I took a gap year. I finished college, didn't know what to do so went back for an extra 2 years I took different subjects to see if there was anything I'd like. I faffed around trying to get an apprenticeship for a year, which didn't work out. But I ended up on a gap year as a result of waiting. Then I thought I'd go for one degree, and changed my mind. I didn't apply to my degree until after the January deadline, 3 years later than when my peers went to uni. And it's had absolutely no negative impact on my life. If anything it's the complete opposite, the 4 years part time work experience and the extra college learning have all been really valuable.

With the current climate, I think there's even more value than usual in considering a gap year.
Original post by AcseI
This is basically why I took a gap year. I finished college, didn't know what to do so went back for an extra 2 years I took different subjects to see if there was anything I'd like. I faffed around trying to get an apprenticeship for a year, which didn't work out. But I ended up on a gap year as a result of waiting. Then I thought I'd go for one degree, and changed my mind. I didn't apply to my degree until after the January deadline, 3 years later than when my peers went to uni. And it's had absolutely no negative impact on my life. If anything it's the complete opposite, the 4 years part time work experience and the extra college learning have all been really valuable.

With the current climate, I think there's even more value than usual in considering a gap year.

It's nice to hear from someone who's actually experienced it! I agree defo think that you can get valuable experience and age doesn't matter too much when starting uni.. May I ask what degree you ended up studying?
Reply 13
Thank you.. I will definitely consider that especially because I didn't get to do a gap year this year . I have had a look at London uni's like Kings but I'm slightly worried they might treat my application differently because I'm resitting though. The biosciences degree sounds promising, didn't realise you can pick what you want in the second year!

I’m at kings, I did a retake for an alevel and then also did a college course and I’m now on their MSci in Pharmacology with integrated professional placement year after changing from biomedical science after the first year. They definitely don’t look at your application in a worse light. They love students who have done gap years etc and then gone back into university as it shows you’re dedicated
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer this can help give you some ideas?? but don't be limited by what they suggest as you have a good mix of subjects.
It's nice to hear from someone who's actually experienced it! I agree defo think that you can get valuable experience and age doesn't matter too much when starting uni.. May I ask what degree you ended up studying?

Age really doesn't matter, I started at 21 and a lot of other students were 19/20 as well. It's not like everyone is 18, and even then you don't stand out at 21.

My degree was in Cyber Security and Forensic Computing. I studied a BTEC Extended Diploma in Software Development and A Level Maths at college, and knew I'd want to do something with computers. Didn't know what, so I went back and studied A Level Computing, Psychology and Graphic Communication (because free education). I applied to a cyber related apprenticeship with a large, well known company who kept me waiting for a year only to offer me an unrelated interview for software engineering. Dropped out of that, at which point I was committed to the gap year.

I briefly had ideas about studying electronic engineering, and applied for a degree. But I had no experience and the more I looked into it the less enthused I was. Post January deadline I applied to 2 degrees, one in Cyber and one in Network Engineering. Had offers for both within days, withdraw my electronic engineering application and accepted the one in Cyber.

So in short I spent longer at college to take advantage of free education, applied to an apprenticeship that didn't work out and applied to the wrong degree before I found the right degree (and even then I'd applied to 2 degrees).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending