The Student Room Group

WIll I get accepted into engineering at bristol or bath?

I applied to bristol last year for mechanical engineering but got given an alternative course of engineering maths which I didnt like. I achieved A*A*A in maths, english language and physics A-levels respectively and am now enrolled to do engineering at durham but feel that as I have exceeded the grades needed for bristol (A*AA) I may have a better chance at applying this year, the same goes for bath. They both seem to ignore personal statements and look for good GCSEs aswell as A-levels as they prefer people with all 7's and above whereas I have the grades: 9877776BB which evidently weren't good enough last year. I will also have a go at oxbridge though now I am not hopeful. Does anyone know of people who have been admitted to bath/bristol/oxbridge engineering with these grades? or if it is pointless applying?
Reply 1
I went to Bath for mech eng. With those grades, I would've thought you are a very strong candidate for receiving an offer - you've received the entry requirements and I don't think your GCSE grades are an issue (unless the 6 is in maths or physics). 100% of my peers and those of the year below received a minimum of A*AA at A level.

That said, I don't agree that they ignore personal statements, the staff responsible for admissions say this is a key part of the application.
Reply 2
Original post by Surf
I went to Bath for mech eng. With those grades, I would've thought you are a very strong candidate for receiving an offer - you've received the entry requirements and I don't think your GCSE grades are an issue (unless the 6 is in maths or physics). 100% of my peers and those of the year below received a minimum of A*AA at A level.

That said, I don't agree that they ignore personal statements, the staff responsible for admissions say this is a key part of the application.

If thats right then the only thing I can think of is the fact that I did English language where they would pick someone who chose maybe a science or further maths instead. I got a 9 in physics and 7 in maths. Im pretty sure I read on their admissions policy that they don't take personal statement into account, just academic record and they said that was the reason I wasn't accepted, maybe that was just bristol.
Reply 3
I don't know. Most do Chemistry or Further Maths as a 3rd A Level - that said, I didn't.

Bath states this on the mech eng undergrad website: "Your application, especially your personal statement, should explain your motivation for choosing this degree and any relevant non-academic interests and achievements. You are more likely to be successful if you demonstrate a keen interest in Mechanical Engineering through relevant reading, extracurricular or co-curricular activities, or work experience."

I believe Bristol is the one that uses GCSE and A Level grades - but even they refer to personal statements if numerous students have similar academic qualifications (http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2020/mechanical-engineering.pdf). I think it is a mistake to assume any university ignores personal statements - after all, you would want to select students who are actually interested in the subject and the personal statement is the opportunity you have to demonstrate this.

Doesn't change my original answer though - I do believe you can be selected with your grades.
Reply 4
Original post by Surf
I don't know. Most do Chemistry or Further Maths as a 3rd A Level - that said, I didn't.

Bath states this on the mech eng undergrad website: "Your application, especially your personal statement, should explain your motivation for choosing this degree and any relevant non-academic interests and achievements. You are more likely to be successful if you demonstrate a keen interest in Mechanical Engineering through relevant reading, extracurricular or co-curricular activities, or work experience."

I believe Bristol is the one that uses GCSE and A Level grades - but even they refer to personal statements if numerous students have similar academic qualifications (http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2020/mechanical-engineering.pdf). I think it is a mistake to assume any university ignores personal statements - after all, you would want to select students who are actually interested in the subject and the personal statement is the opportunity you have to demonstrate this.

Doesn't change my original answer though - I do believe you can be selected with your grades.

you're right I must have misread that, Bristol only refer to it when it is competitive and weight an application by 20% GCSEs and 80% A-levels. Knowing that I would have blamed my personal statement but on my feedback from bristol it actually said that my academic record wasn't sufficient and I worry that the same will happen as i cant change my GCSEs. Which 3rd (+4th) a-level did you take out of curiosity?
Reply 5
Original post by RobElliot
you're right I must have misread that, Bristol only refer to it when it is competitive and weight an application by 20% GCSEs and 80% A-levels. Knowing that I would have blamed my personal statement but on my feedback from bristol it actually said that my academic record wasn't sufficient and I worry that the same will happen as i cant change my GCSEs. Which 3rd (+4th) a-level did you take out of curiosity?

I applied to Bristol too and was also referred to the engineering maths course (didn't choose as wasn't accredited by the IMechE). I found them somewhat of a puzzle regarding admissions. It's interesting they gave you that feedback - could you contact them for further info?

Do you mean you are thinking of applying for a September 2021 entry? If you took a year out, you could consider completing A Level further maths which may well bolster your application. Just a thought...

I took biology as a 3rd A Level (very rare for Bath's mech eng crew) and validated it in my personal statement by saying it was because I had an interest in biomimetics.

Quick Reply

Latest