The Student Room Group

year 12s

how much work are you guys doing?
i feel like im already falling behind in school lmao though i do a couple of hours extra 6 out of 7 days but im gonna have to spend the entire weekend catching up cuz im sooo behind already lol
plus i have to start looking at super curriculars and decide what i want to do with my life

i do maths fm phys n chem
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I have to ask but are you actually falling behind or is it just a feeling? Like you'll have to differentiate between it. Like at sixth form you learn so much more in a week at school than you would have at GCSE so it feels like there's so much to learn which could potentially make you feel like you are falling behind? I would recommend talking to a friend because that always helps. As for the amount of work I'm doing. I'm not doing any extra work. The homework I get set takes up enough time already. My school recommends doing 4h per subject per week including homework and extra stuff. Maybe that would help you? Good luck :smile:
Hey my school gives us alot of homework every lesson but ofcourse it's for our own benefit. I try to finish my hw in my frees or soon as I get home. This leaves me just above 3 hrs of independent work every night. It sounds like a lot but it's not intense work. I just do the summary questions for future topics for the sciences and read ahead and I just do practice questions from the textbook for maths too. On the weekends, after I've done all the essential stuff set by skl or anything I missed during the week, I just try some exam questions. I get you about falling behind because it's difficult to figure out what exactly I'm meant to be doing, it feels like I'm not doing enough tbh and idk what to do about it...

What exactly are u struggling with BTW?
Original post by philogrobized
I have to ask but are you actually falling behind or is it just a feeling? Like you'll have to differentiate between it. Like at sixth form you learn so much more in a week at school than you would have at GCSE so it feels like there's so much to learn which could potentially make you feel like you are falling behind? I would recommend talking to a friend because that always helps. As for the amount of work I'm doing. I'm not doing any extra work. The homework I get set takes up enough time already. My school recommends doing 4h per subject per week including homework and extra stuff. Maybe that would help you? Good luck :smile:

hmmm
i guess it take me agess to make my notes. i spend the majority of my time making my notes, not cuz i want to make them neat or anything, but just cuz it takes me ages to collate everything from diff sources. also, i have loads of questions when i go through my notes so it takes me a while to find the answers to my qs, as i want to make sure i understand stuff thoroughly. on top of this, i have to do homework from school as well.

eg. today i spent like three hours thoroughly reading through like 11 pages of my chem textbook on structure and bonding and made my notes. and thats all i got done today

so i feel like im 'falling behind' i guess cuz im not getting the time to read ahead or do extra practice qs and stuff.... im also not getting the time to spend on super curricular and oxbridgey stuff...

thanks for the replies btw :smile:
Original post by Humairazaman
Hey my school gives us alot of homework every lesson but ofcourse it's for our own benefit. I try to finish my hw in my frees or soon as I get home. This leaves me just above 3 hrs of independent work every night. It sounds like a lot but it's not intense work. I just do the summary questions for future topics for the sciences and read ahead and I just do practice questions from the textbook for maths too. On the weekends, after I've done all the essential stuff set by skl or anything I missed during the week, I just try some exam questions. I get you about falling behind because it's difficult to figure out what exactly I'm meant to be doing, it feels like I'm not doing enough tbh and idk what to do about it...

What exactly are u struggling with BTW?
(edited 3 years ago)
Time management is very important, especially once you get into your second year because you will have to revise for your exams, pro tip: revise in your summer holidays (even tho they're a long way away). So work on managing your time and you should be good - and yeah, you can get alot of work
I feel like I’m falling behind too :frown: Like I’m just so unmotivated and have to kind of force myself to revise outside of school. I’m doing chem, bio and history. Also, how are you finding A level Maths so far. I’m thinking of switching to maths from history but scared as to whether it will be difficult?
Original post by vix.xvi
hmmm
i guess it take me agess to make my notes. i spend the majority of my time making my notes, not cuz i want to make them neat or anything, but just cuz it takes me ages to collate everything from diff sources. also, i have loads of questions when i go through my notes so it takes me a while to find the answers to my qs, as i want to make sure i understand stuff thoroughly. on top of this, i have to do homework from school as well.

eg. today i spent like three hours thoroughly reading through like 11 pages of my chem textbook on structure and bonding and made my notes. and thats all i got done today

so i feel like im 'falling behind' i guess cuz im not getting the time to read ahead or do extra practice qs and stuff.... im also not getting the time to spend on super curricular and oxbridgey stuff...

thanks for the replies btw :smile:

Well I'm doing maths Chem bio and physics and the only subject that requires really good notes for me is bio. For the rest only practice works for me. For you it might be different I get that. I really recommend the CGP revision guides tbh I've got the physics one it's amazing. I can easily read ahead for my lessons and it's easier to comprehend than the textbooks which have so much unnecessary waffle in them. After reading through these I just practice some questions it's so so important at Alevel I think. I'm gonna buy the CGP books for chem and bio aswell, people criticise them but even my teacher said that they have all the spec points word for word so...

Also don't worry I think that youre doing enough. Try talking to your teachers and ask them about the best way to revise for each of your subjects, trust me they know best. Good luck! :smile:
So as someone who’s done A level chemistry, please know that at this early stage, spending this long on early topics to understand the content and make notes in COMPLETELY normal. I remember breaking down and crying when I learnt how electron shells are really structured and it took me at least 3 hours just to understand the two pages of the textbook it took up. It will get much much easier to understand content quicker as you go along and get to grips with the new style of content. One thing I would recommend might be to have the spec on hand when making notes, as exam boards won’t ask questions other than content mentioned on the spec (I didn’t know this until I made revision notes but I WISH someone had told me this earlier). I gave up reading ahead after a couple of weeks, I found it much more time efficient to make notes fresh on a topic during lesson, and spend time afterwards collating class notes, textbook pages etc into my final notes, without knowing I’d have to prep for the next lesson. Obviously, do whatever method works for you, that’s just what worked for me. Hope this helps x
Original post by Isha8080
I feel like I’m falling behind too :frown: Like I’m just so unmotivated and have to kind of force myself to revise outside of school. I’m doing chem, bio and history. Also, how are you finding A level Maths so far. I’m thinking of switching to maths from history but scared as to whether it will be difficult?

honestly, a level maths seems quite easy.
but tbh i do fm so what can i say.... but i was scared fm was gonna be too hard. so im only doing the AS then maybe dropping it

hv u had a look at the textbook? its quite similar to gcse content, at least year 1 is.

So far it's only GCSE stuff but the exam questions are quite hard. But honestly hard work and effort pays off. Maths isn't my 'natural ability' but I work really hard for it and it always pays off. If u like maths just do it!!
Well I'm doing maths Chem bio and physics and the only subject that requires really good notes for me is bio. For the rest only practice works for me. For you it might be different I get that. I really recommend the CGP revision guides tbh I've got the physics one it's amazing. I can easily read ahead for my lessons and it's easier to comprehend than the textbooks which have so much unnecessary waffle in them. After reading through these I just practice some questions it's so so important at Alevel I think. I'm gonna buy the CGP books for chem and bio aswell, people criticise them but even my teacher said that they have all the spec points word for word so...

Also don't worry I think that youre doing enough. Try talking to your teachers and ask them about the best way to revise for each of your subjects, trust me they know best. Good luck! :smile:

aww thank you!!!

yeah i rly should invest in CGP books...they seem so useful. im gonna do this for chem n physics acc...which one r u getting for chem?
Original post by Barry Lowsky
Time management is very important, especially once you get into your second year because you will have to revise for your exams, pro tip: revise in your summer holidays (even tho they're a long way away). So work on managing your time and you should be good - and yeah, you can get alot of work

thanks, ill keep this in mind :smile:
Original post by vix.xvi
aww thank you!!!

yeah i rly should invest in CGP books...they seem so useful. im gonna do this for chem n physics acc...which one r u getting for chem?

Are you going to get the course books or the revision guides?
Are you going to get the course books or the revision guides?

i hv no idea lol im just waiting for the other persons advice aha :smile: wait idek the diff btwn the 2

also lmk if u decide to switch to maths x
Original post by vix.xvi
aww thank you!!!

No worries man, I get it that sixth form is quite stressful and I'm always panicking aswell since there are so many clever and organised people around me but if as long as your doing something in ur time, its enough!

I'm just getting the regular CGP revision guide for chem
Original post by vix.xvi
i hv no idea lol im just waiting for the other persons advice aha :smile:

also lmk if u decide to switch to maths x

I’m confused as I don’t know whether to get the course book or the revision guides aha. Idk I’m really scared to switch to maths. Last year I was confidently telling everyone I’m going to be taking A level Maths but then everyone put me off it saying A level Maths is too difficult and that “most people fail it” and that “it’s impossible for me to get an A or B” :frown:
Original post by Torigracex
So as someone who’s done A level chemistry, please know that at this early stage, spending this long on early topics to understand the content and make notes in COMPLETELY normal. I remember breaking down and crying when I learnt how electron shells are really structured and it took me at least 3 hours just to understand the two pages of the textbook it took up. It will get much much easier to understand content quicker as you go along and get to grips with the new style of content. One thing I would recommend might be to have the spec on hand when making notes, as exam boards won’t ask questions other than content mentioned on the spec (I didn’t know this until I made revision notes but I WISH someone had told me this earlier). I gave up reading ahead after a couple of weeks, I found it much more time efficient to make notes fresh on a topic during lesson, and spend time afterwards collating class notes, textbook pages etc into my final notes, without knowing I’d have to prep for the next lesson. Obviously, do whatever method works for you, that’s just what worked for me. Hope this helps x

honestly thanks soo much xx
makes me feel alot better knowing that im not the only one who has to spend so long understanding stuff
and yeah i need to start referring to the spec more...im not doing this enough as of now. and idt the reading ahead thing is working for me either aha
thanks again :smile:
Original post by Torigracex

This helps me a lot knowing that I’m not the only one who’s struggling. I’ve cried like 7 times already because of chem and bio and I’ve only been at sf for like two weeks aha
I’m confused as I don’t know whether to get the course book or the revision guides aha. Idk I’m really scared to switch to maths. Last year I was confidently telling everyone I’m going to be taking A level Maths but then everyone put me off it saying A level Maths is too difficult and that “most people fail it” and that “it’s impossible for me to get an A or B” :frown:

nah mate dont listen to other ppl too much
someone indirectly told me i wasnt good enough to do fm lol but guess what im still doing it. idk if im good enough still but im rlly happy with my choice so :smile: plus everyone says fm is crazy hard but i think thats too much of an exaggeration cuz its hard but not THAT hard

if ur fine with chem i think u'll be ok with the course content for maths? idk its up to you but go with ur gut and dont listen to ppl too much or u'll lose direction

plus u seem like a hardworking person from what i can tell lol...i was exactly like u a month ago cuz thats what everyone was saying about fm. im sure ppl on here can attest to the no. of threads i made abt fm cuz i thought it was too hard for me lol
(edited 3 years ago)
No worries man, I get it that sixth form is quite stressful and I'm always panicking aswell since there are so many clever and organised people around me but if as long as your doing something in ur time, its enough!

I'm just getting the regular CGP revision guide for chem

yeah exactly im surrounded with soo many hardworking clever ppl at school aha

oohh i just remembered, someone on here acc v kindly sent me a pdf of the chem cgp textbook somehow lol
idt im gonna buy it anymore...

do u want it too lmao

Quick Reply

Latest