The Student Room Group

Will you support it if positive eugenics is free?

The liberal eugenics, like parents choosing certain characteristics they prefer using human genetic engineering, instead of the negative eugenics. In order to externalise the affordability, let's assume it is free for everyone?:K:

Scroll to see replies

I don’t like how it’s like putting items in shopping cart. It’s highly immoral tbh, u should just accept your children as they are not modelling them into your dream child.
(edited 3 years ago)
Eugenics is never positive.
I'd only pay for it. Nothing good is free.
I feel like it could be useful in making people less likely to get cancers, allergies and the like but then where would you draw the line?
People have different views of what are problems and in some cases people view mental conditions as negative but they are also what makes a person who they are (I'm trying not to cause an argument with this).

In summary things that are only negative like the aforementioned autoimmune diseases, cancers and allergies should be prevented as they do not make up the person's personality they are just a predisposition to illness and the person would live better life without them.
Original post by WhatNameToUse
The liberal eugenics, like parents choosing certain characteristics they prefer using human genetic engineering, instead of the negative eugenics. In order to externalise the affordability, let's assume it is free for everyone?:K:

I’d support eugenics. If you can remove genetic diseases and associated suffering from our future populations then I can’t be against it.
Original post by Rufus the red
I feel like it could be useful in making people less likely to get cancers, allergies and the like but then where would you draw the line?
People have different views of what are problems and in some cases people view mental conditions as negative but they are also what makes a person who they are (I'm trying not to cause an argument with this).

In summary things that are only negative like the aforementioned autoimmune diseases, cancers and allergies should be prevented as they do not make up the person's personality they are just a predisposition to illness and the person would live better life without them.

Well clearly mental illness is something you’d also eliminate through eugenics as it also causes suffering/can lead to suicide
Never, where do you draw the line at editing out β€œflaws”? Which are flaws and which aren’t? But, evolutionary a lot of physical and mental disorders would have been eradicated from our species if we left people to their own devises so I guess some people could argue we are taking evolution into our own hands. I just fear β€œdifferences” will be less and less and what makes us unique will be eradicated by making a β€œperfect” human.
Original post by Lazarevic
Well clearly mental illness is something you’d also eliminate through eugenics as it also causes suffering/can lead to suicide

But some people can argue that some forms of mental illness make up the person's personality and if we remove mental illness you would end up with no one who sees the world differently.

I just want to say that I'm trying to be as objective as possible and think from both opinions.
Original post by Mroelildy
Never, where do you draw the line at editing out β€œflaws”? Which are flaws and which aren’t? But, evolutionary a lot of physical and mental disorders would have been eradicated from our species if we left people to their own devises so I guess some people could argue we are taking evolution into our own hands. I just fear β€œdifferences” will be less and less and what makes us unique will be eradicated by making a β€œperfect” human.

In my message I made a similar point but added that the eradication of diseases which increase mortality such as autoimmune diseases and predisposition to cancers could be things that should be removed from society as they only increase suffering and mortality.
But some people can argue that some forms of mental illness make up the person's personality and if we remove mental illness you would end up with no one who sees the world differently.

I just want to say that I'm trying to be as objective as possible and think from both opinions.

Well I’d like to think people are more than their bipolar/schizophrenia disorders but okay...
Well I’d like to think people are more than their bipolar/schizophrenia disorders but okay...

I completely agree but there are other mental illnesses such as autism which isn't necessarily a bad thing if it isn't severe.
The problem really is where to draw the line.
In my message I made a similar point but added that the eradication of diseases which increase mortality such as autoimmune diseases and predisposition to cancers could be things that should be removed from society as they only increase suffering and mortality.

Very true, I hate my autoimmune disorder and without drugs I would be dead and the condition wouldn’t still be part of our society. So I guess we would be reversing what us as humans have let live on by removing them from future gens
Nah, Humans can't be trusted with eugenics, look what we do when given such opportunities?
Absolutely not. People would all create some kind of model child and then some people wouldn't do it and it would create this huge divide. Just sounds like some kind of dystopia that I hope never comes to fruition. I think editing people in this way is just flat out wrong- even in regards to intelligence like some said
Original post by pineapplepink
Absolutely not. People would all create some kind of model child and then some people wouldn't do it and it would create this huge divide. Just sounds like some kind of dystopia that I hope never comes to fruition. I think editing people in this way is just flat out wrong- even in regards to intelligence like some said

I think eradication of genetic disorders would be very advantageous for humanity, considering they only create suffering...
I don't know of a single person I would trust with that kind of power.
I think eradication of genetic disorders would be very advantageous for humanity, considering they only create suffering...

Oh it would, but that's not what we would use it for, I think deep down we all know that. Look what we already do with sterilization programs? We weaponize them for oppression.
Original post by Theloniouss
I don't know of a single person I would trust with that kind of power.

Just log the genetic information of each person and if they have genetic disorders make sure they don’t have children

I agree with @StriderHort because there is just so many ways where it could be abused or go wrong. It could start with diseases but like others have mentioned, where do you draw the line? What constitutes as a disease/illness/disorder that you should get rid of? Even if you did have a solid framework for that, I'm sure you'd get rogue doctors creating some kind of black market charging huge prices for beauty or intelligence (or being hired by groups with crazy ideas or something). It could all get out of hand very quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest