The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi how do HYMS decide which uni to place you in?
Original post by AISHAH H
Hi how do HYMS decide which uni to place you in?

https://www.hyms.ac.uk/medicine/living-in-hull-and-york/campus-allocation

We will only consider requests for a specific campus allocation if your fall into one of the following categories:

-You intend to live at home and want to study at the campus nearest to you, provided you live within the Hull York Medical School region (as defined below) and within 30 miles of your selected campus
- You intend to live on campus and live within the Hull York Medical School region (as defined below)
- You're already a student at the University of York or the University of Hull when you apply, and want to stay at that campus
- You have a sibling who is already a student at the University of York or the University of Hull (and who is not in their final year when you apply)
- You are a student from outside the EU/EEA

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you
I have emailed Hull-York (their admissions AND their further enquiries email) three days ago in regards to having sufficient Chemistry and Biology as a graduate and I haven’t heard back from them. Is there any other way to contact them?
@Yo... could you please calculate my score im confused whether to apply or not

my gcses are 87777a666 . A level predicted not out yet but hopefully around AAA. I got 2450 band 2 in UCAT. Do i stand a decent chance at an interview. I have a strong personal statement lots of work experience and annual charity work
Reply 85
Original post by Yo...
I’ve got your score at 57.75 which is risky considering the cutoff last year was 59. However, if they change to only scoring your top 6 gcses, that means you will get the max 30 in that section, and therefore a total score of 60 which is better but is right on the boundary.
Do you have any contextual points?

Hi there @Yo... how do they score then new numbered GCSEs as I have seen you other post but that is using the old letters system so does a 9 and 8 count as A* a 7 as an A etc. Also how will the interviews be this year, I understand they will be online but how will the activities they used to do translate into an online format.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Yo...
What is your SJ Band? I’ve got your score at 62.25 without the SJ band.
Last year, 59 points was the cutoff for interview invite.
However, we’re waiting to hear on HYMS about a possible reshuffle on how gcses are scored, so when we hear more, your score will probably change.
As it stands, you stand a good chance for an interview, depending on your SJ band, HYMS is a good option for you.

How are you calculating? Any link pls as I couldn’t find and do they consider SJT band 2 and ucat 2700
9 GcSe 9/8
2 GCse 7
Can you calculate for me pls? Sorry to bother you
Reply 87
Original post by ansazzer
@Yo... could you please calculate my score im confused whether to apply or not

my gcses are 87777a666 . A level predicted not out yet but hopefully around AAA. I got 2450 band 2 in UCAT. Do i stand a decent chance at an interview. I have a strong personal statement lots of work experience and annual charity work

Last year I applied with 777777666C and 2470 Band 1 and didn’t get an interview. I have your score at 49.25 which is below the previous cutoffs by a lot so I wouldn’t recommend applying to HYMS
Reply 88
Original post by A12345F
How are you calculating? Any link pls as I couldn’t find and do they consider SJT band 2 and ucat 2700
9 GcSe 9/8
2 GCse 7

Your score is 68, and last year 59 points required for interview, so ur in a good position, but band 2 disadvantageous post interview.
Reply 89
Original post by HChis
Hi there @Yo... how do they score then new numbered GCSEs as I have seen you other post but that is using the old letters system so does a 9 and 8 count as A* a 7 as an A etc. Also how will the interviews be this year, I understand they will be online but how will the activities they used to do translate into an online format.

9/8 are A*
7 is an A
I haven’t seen HYMS’ plan on interviews.
Reply 90
Original post by A12345F
9 GcSe 9/8
2 GCse 7

I can’t find the screenshot anymore, but was on a previous HYMS entry thread

GCSE’s max 30: Top 8
9/8 = 3.75
7 = 3
6 = 2.25

UCAT: 4 points for every decile.

SJT:
Band 1 = 15
Band 2 = 10
Band 3 = 5

Contextual = 15 points

I have heard they’re changing GCSE reqs to top 6 subjects instead of 8, I have emailed them for clarification and waiting for response
Original post by Yo...
I can’t find the screenshot anymore, but was on a previous HYMS entry thread

GCSE’s max 30: Top 8
9/8 = 3.75
7 = 3
6 = 2.25

UCAT: 4 points for every decile.

SJT:
Band 1 = 15
Band 2 = 10
Band 3 = 5

Contextual = 15 points

I have heard they’re changing GCSE reqs to top 6 subjects instead of 8, I have emailed them for clarification and waiting for response

Thank you veryyyyyyy much for your time and helping me out.
Someone in the thread share the email which he/she received from HYMS that they have changed to top 6 gcse Instead of 8
Reply 92
Original post by A12345F
Thank you veryyyyyyy much for your time and helping me out.
Someone in the thread share the email which he/she received from HYMS that they have changed to top 6 gcse Instead of 8

Yeah I’ve seen that email but just want clarification on the maximum number of points now in the GCSE section, how many points for each grade etc... as this new change, which can switch up the quality pf someone’s application, isn’t even on the website which is concerning
Original post by Yo...
Yeah I’ve seen that email but just want clarification on the maximum number of points now in the GCSE section, how many points for each grade etc... as this new change, which can switch up the quality pf someone’s application, isn’t even on the website which is concerning

That’s very true!would you care to share the info after receiving email because it takes ages to get the reply from them.
Reply 94
Original post by HChis

Btw, where did u see that HYMS are planning to conduct interviews online? I haven’t seen anything on that on their website
Reply 95
Hi
I got 99888887
UCAT 2670- 670 ave
Band2
Could someone please calculate and advise me if it’s safe to apply hull York medical school?
Reply 96
Original post by Vdr2021
Hi
I got 99888887
UCAT 2670- 670 ave
Band2
Could someone please calculate and advise me if it’s safe to apply hull York medical school?

I got ur score at 67.25 which seems safe for Interview (I have assumed your score is 7th decile)
Band 2 will be disadvantageous post interview tho
Original post by inquisitivethong
I have emailed Hull-York (their admissions AND their further enquiries email) three days ago in regards to having sufficient Chemistry and Biology as a graduate and I haven’t heard back from them. Is there any other way to contact them?

Can someone help as I STILL haven’t heard from them as their number is unavailable due to COVID
Reply 98
Original post by Yo...
I got ur score at 67.25 which seems safe for Interview (I have assumed your score is 7th decile)
Band 2 will be disadvantageous post interview tho

Thank you, would it matter if it’s 6 th decile?
Reply 99
Original post by Vdr2021
Thank you, would it matter if it’s 6 th decile?

IT would drop your score by 4 points

Latest

Trending

Trending