The Student Room Group

Hi

I am picking my gcses very soon we have to take english literature English language sciences and maths u get to pick any other subjects and I am taking geography and business studies and i have to pick one other gcse any suggestions??
what do you want to study in the future?
what career do you want to do?
Also, do you prefer coursework or final exams more?
Reply 2
Original post by Some-student-
what do you want to study in the future?
what career do you want to do?
Also, do you prefer coursework or final exams more?

I want to be a lawyer and probably coursework
Original post by lilyhundre

i'd say go for a language and I wouldn't do business- it's a bit on the boring side and it won't help as much as you would think later on in life. x
Original post by isobeln
i'd say go for a language and I wouldn't do business- it's a bit on the boring side and it won't help as much as you would think later on in life. x

ironically, none of your GCSE's will help you later in life apart from maths and english
Reply 5
Original post by isobeln
i'd say go for a language and I wouldn't do business- it's a bit on the boring side and it won't help as much as you would think later i on on

I have to pick 3 subjects and I can’t pick a language bc I chose geography
Reply 6
Original post by V℮rsions
ironically, none of your GCSE's will help you later in life apart from maths and english

Do u know any gcses that would be good to take??
Do u know any gcses that would be good to take??

You don't particularly need any specific GCSE's to study law in college and university - take whatever you are good at and enjoy. My advice would be to focus on what you're good at, because law is a competitive subject so getting good GCSE's is more important than it is for other subjects, it's also going to open up your university options. What are your other options and which ones are you good at / like?
Reply 8
You don't particularly need any specific GCSE's to study law in college and university - take whatever you are good at and enjoy. My advice would be to focus on what you're good at, because law is a competitive subject so getting good GCSE's is more important than it is for other subjects, it's also going to open up your university options. What are your other options and which ones are you good at / likei don’t know what to pick that’s the problem!!

I don’t know what to pick that’s the problem I have to take 3 nd I know I’m taking geography and buissness studies but I’m not sure what else
I don’t know what to pick that’s the problem I have to take 3 nd I know I’m taking geography and buissness studies but I’m not sure what else

What else is available, different schools let students take different subjects
What else is available, different schools let students take different subj

French german religious studies psychology food tech design and technology art PE dance drama Computer science music ...
French german religious studies psychology food tech design and technology art PE dance drama Computer science music ...

So I can't tell you to do a specific subject, it's not my place, but here's a run down on each based on what I gathered from being at school. I had friends which did all of them.

French (and German) are solid choices if you're good at them, but if you aren't good at them I wouldn't recommend as they can be quite hard and learning a new language requires hours of work. They look good for the school so they try to push their importance, but in reality it doesn't matter if you did French/German unless it's related to your A-Level or degree.

Religious Studies, the main problem is it might bore you, it's a fine subject to take but I couldn't do it - it made me bored lol. If it interests you and you're grades are good then go for it - it can be an easy "filler" GCSE.

Psychology is an interesting one, I'd choose this if I was in your shoes (not because it helps get into law specifically, but it's a good GCSE with interesting specification). It also helps if you're taking A-Level psych in college.

Food Tech / Design Technology I hated, but if you want to do it then it's fine - it wont harm your chance of college or university unless you get bad grades, so assess how good you are at the subject already

Art is a very course work intensive GCSE, you do lots of work at home and it becomes quite overwhelming if you fall behind. My friend did art and she loved it, so if you want to take it up, again it wont hurt your chance of college and university, but I'd take a look at how good your work is so far and base your choice from that

PE is one you could take if you're physically fit and achieving good "grades" (I know you don't necessarily get graded in Year 7-9) You learn about the body, muscles etc and all that, if it interests you go ahead

Dance, only girls were allowed to do dance at my school - so I really have no idea about dance. It wont hurt your college and uni chances if you take it - none of them will.

Drama again I wasn't allowed to do, if you're getting good grades in it now and you're confident then go ahead - it also helps get you into college if you do plays for the school outside of the usual lessons and all that

Computer Science is a hard one, I wouldn't do this unless you're already good at computer science (not to be confused with IT, which is scratch, flow charts etc - comp sci is much harder)

Music is like art, you want to make sure you're good at it and doing lots of out of class work to achieve good grades. Having experience in music and playing a band or something is also good for you college and uni applications as you can show you have interest in outside activities - but again, don't take it for that reason, take it because you're good at it.

I study Law, Politics and Business in Y13 right now, and I chose Triple Science, Business, Geography and IT - so don't worry about any of them not relating to Law.

Apparently, a modern foreign language and history are good GCSE's to take if you want to become a lawyer (according to BBC bitesize). But these subjects aren't really coursework style. That's probably the only problem though... unless you don't like these subjects?

Apparently, a modern foreign language and history are good GCSE's to take if you want to become a lawyer (according to BBC bitesize). But these subjects aren't really coursework style. That's probably the only problem though... unless you don't like these subjects?

Apparently, a modern foreign language and history are good GCSE's to take if you want to become a lawyer (according to BBC bitesize). But these subjects aren't really coursework style. That's probably the only problem though... unless you don't like these subjects.
take subjects you're interested in and likely to get good grades in.
Original post by Some-student-

We pick between geography and history I’m picking geography

Quick Reply

Latest