The Student Room Group

Has supplementing magnesium, b6 and zinc helped anyone with anxiety and depression?

Has supplementing magnesium, b6 and zinc helped anyone with anxiety and depression? I ordered today as some research I did suggested it’d help with my anxiety and depression.

Hope it helps! I’ve been having mood swings and really bad sleep lately!

If anyone here has tried it, let me know if it helped or not! Thanks!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Add a few microgrammes of Vitamin D, and at least you’ll be able to rule out vitamin deprivation.

I was shocked to learn that most British people get all of their dietary vitamin C, not from fruit, but from the more humble potato. Low in vit.C, but we eat loads of spuds. Distortion!

Microbiome diversity might be another factor to look into?, serotonin , dopamine etc are complicated, and having the right amount, in the right place, at the right time, does need study.
Original post by LuigiMario
Add a few microgrammes of Vitamin D, and at least you’ll be able to rule out vitamin deprivation.

I was shocked to learn that most British people get all of their dietary vitamin C, not from fruit, but from the more humble potato. Low in vit.C, but we eat loads of spuds. Distortion!

Microbiome diversity might be another factor to look into?, serotonin , dopamine etc are complicated, and having the right amount, in the right place, at the right time, does need study.

D3 and B12 I already supplement. What exactly should I google when researching all those other things you mentioned? Does it fall under “microbiome diversity”
Microbiome & serotonin, but it’s not yet well defined, as can involve ‘blue-light’ from devices too...

Try scholar.google.co.uk, read a lot! Don’t believe everything
Bump
Original post by boulderingislife
Bump

Original post by TheAnxiousSloth

Omg, i used to get twitches in my eye! Bot had it for a while though! I ordered magnesium, zinc and b6 supplement from amazon. Get it on monday. Will see if it affects my mood. HoPefully it will lower my anxiety!

Have you tried supplementing magnesium? Has it helped you?
Omg, i used to get twitches in my eye! Bot had it for a while though! I ordered magnesium, zinc and b6 supplement from amazon. Get it on monday. Will see if it affects my mood. HoPefully it will lower my anxiety!

Have you tried supplementing magnesium? Has it helped you?

Good luck! I have ordered some B-12 vitamins and also a combined Vitamin D and K2 vegan spray. Vitamin K2 helps your body to absorb vitamin D better.

I haven't supplemented magnesium before, but I think I have enough of it in my diet (things like dark chocolate, avocados, beans, chickpeas, nuts such as almonds, cashews and brazil nuts, tofu, seeds, wholegrain carbs, bananas etc). All these foods are staples in my everyday diet, so I would be very surprised if I was deficient in magnesium!
Original post by TheAnxiousSloth
Good luck! I have ordered some B-12 vitamins and also a combined Vitamin D and K2 vegan spray. Vitamin K2 helps your body to absorb vitamin D better.

I haven't supplemented magnesium before, but I think I have enough of it in my diet (things like dark chocolate, avocados, beans, chickpeas, nuts such as almonds, cashews and brazil nuts, tofu, seeds, wholegrain carbs, bananas etc). All these foods are staples in my everyday diet, so I would be very surprised if I was deficient in magnesium!

If you’re anxious then it’s worth a shot I guess? :smile: I’m trying it to see if my mood levels improve. They’ve been all over the place recently!

Edit: aren’t those sprays an expensive fad? I take b12 and d tabs and my blood test showed my levels were above average, so i don’t think you really need the d+k in a spray form.

I think you should try the tablets for a week, get a blood test whilst on them, then you will know if you can make do with the tablets :smile:. Blood tests you can get for free from your GP’s surgery.
(edited 3 years ago)
I inject b12, take folic acid, magnesium and d3. My depression has improved significantly.
Original post by Anonymous
I inject b12, take folic acid, magnesium and d3. My depression has improved significantly.

Are you for real about injecting b12?
Are you for real about injecting b12?

Yeah. It's an otc product in Europe. I get it from Germany. Its amazing for supporting mental health.
Yeah. It's an otc product in Europe. I get it from Germany. Its amazing for supporting mental health.

Why do you inject and not take tablets? Injecting seems a bit extreme. :eek:
I don't absorb it. Many people have the Same problem, and doctors won't give me injections often enough to make enough of a difference.
I don't absorb it. Many people have the Same problem, and doctors won't give me injections often enough to make enough of a difference.

Ah ok, one of the other posters on this thread said he uses vitamin k2 to increase/promote b12 absorption. Have you tried this via the tablet route?

Also, does b12 supplementation Help with anxiety/depression? I suffer from it and although my b12 levels are above average, I still get anxious so was just wondering why you supplement it? Sorry for all the questions :smile:
Ah ok, one of the other posters on this thread said he uses vitamin k2 to increase/promote b12 absorption. Have you tried this via the tablet route?

Also, does b12 supplementation Help with anxiety/depression? I suffer from it and although my b12 levels are above average, I still get anxious so was just wondering why you supplement it? Sorry for all the questions :smile:

Average levels aren't good enough. You also need high folate to convert the b12 into usable form. Maybe your folate is too low, try high dose folic acid for a while.
I don't take k2 but I should with my d3.
I cannot absorb b12 no matter what I do, it has to be injected. I suffer from something called pernicious anaemia.
I think everyone who suffers with depression should have their vit levels checked.
No one in the UK gets enough vit d without supplements and many people are borderline deficient in b12 and folate.
Magnesium and potassium based hydration salts are good for anxiety.
It's hard to see that these things help because prescription pills are pushed, but we all need optimal nutrition to keep us working right.
I've never felt better.
Average levels aren't good enough. You also need high folate to convert the b12 into usable form. Maybe your folate is too low, try high dose folic acid for a while.
I don't take k2 but I should with my d3.
I cannot absorb b12 no matter what I do, it has to be injected. I suffer from something called pernicious anaemia.
I think everyone who suffers with depression should have their vit levels checked.
No one in the UK gets enough vit d without supplements and many people are borderline deficient in b12 and folate.
Magnesium and potassium based hydration salts are good for anxiety.
It's hard to see that these things help because prescription pills are pushed, but we all need optimal nutrition to keep us working right.
I've never felt better.

Glad you’re feeling great! My doc said my folate levels are fine as is my b12. My blood test didnt look at magnesium so am am trying the supplement to see if it helps. D3 and b12 are the only things I supplement at the moment. I get annual blood tests to make sure all my vitals are normal (the ones they look at). They look at b12, d, iron, folate, and a few other things I can’t remember. Doc said i was fine but i still get anxious so will try the mg :smile:
Glad you’re feeling great! My doc said my folate levels are fine as is my b12. My blood test didnt look at magnesium so am am trying the supplement to see if it helps. D3 and b12 are the only things I supplement at the moment. I get annual blood tests to make sure all my vitals are normal (the ones they look at). They look at b12, d, iron, folate, and a few other things I can’t remember. Doc said i was fine but i still get anxious so will try the mg :smile:

What about Omega-3 fatty acids? Being deficient in this can affect mental health, and overall brain health. You are vegan if I remember correctly(?) so obviously you don't eat fish, but flaxseed can provide you with Omega-3. Alternatively, you can get vegan supplements for this.
If your blood tests have shown you have above-average levels of B-12, you don't need to supplement it really. Remember all the foods I mentioned above can give you magnesium as well :smile:.

They told me that mine were fine. A short while after I was diagnosed with PA. It was the reason that I was feeling so bad for so long. I now look at my own blood results.
Average is not always good.
Be careful with some supplements, you can over supplement. B vits can't be over supplemented, except b6 which may give you more anxiety.
I haven’t found supplements to be beneficial to my anxiety or mental health in general. I’ve tried all kinds over the years and have come to the conclusion it is more of a placebo thing.

Quick Reply