The Student Room Group

Quacking the case to A*s - Y13 GYG 20/21

Scroll to see replies

glad to hear you've had a good time back at school :hugs:
Glad you felt safe at college :smile:
Reply 82
I was debating if I should post this, but I realised that this gyg is following my journey over the year, so I guess I should include the lows as well as the highs. I am not going to tag anyone as it hasn't been long since my last update, but this is kind of a mini update.

Update #4a: A mini breakdown

So, I am struggling, badly. I just don't know what to do or where to begin. Watching everyone else going back to school full time is hard enough, but having to self-teach yourself Y13 alevel content is super hard. I am struggling to get motivated to do the bare minimum amount of work, never mind the fact I am supposed to be revising for my mocks which are in less than 2 weeks time.

I miss my friends, yes, I have seen a few of them outside of college every now and again, but I miss spending everyday of college with them. Zoom calls just don't have the same effect. I am even starting to miss my classmates, you know those people who you aren't really friends with, but you see them everyday in lessons and you get along with them, I am starting to miss people I barely even knew.

All this is making me question if university is right for me - if I am struggling to read powerpoints and copy down notes, and struggle to get myself to revise. How on earth am I going to motivate myself to do extra reading outside of lectures? I am also questioning if civil engineering is the right degree for me, I have been set on it for so long, but I am questioning why. I have a good idea of what I want to do as a career, I just don't know which path I should take to get there.

There is a couple of other things that have happened over the past few days, that I will mention in my weekly update. But this is just to let you all know how I am feeling and for me to look back on when this year is all over.
Original post by Becca216
I was debating if I should post this, but I realised that this gyg is following my journey over the year, so I guess I should include the lows as well as the highs. I am not going to tag anyone as it hasn't been long since my last update, but this is kind of a mini update.

So, I am struggling, badly. I just don't know what to do or where to begin. Watching everyone else going back to school full time is hard enough, but having to self-teach yourself Y13 alevel content is super hard. I am struggling to get motivated to do the bare minimum amount of work, never mind the fact I am supposed to be revising for my mocks which are in less than 2 weeks time.

I miss my friends, yes, I have seen a few of them outside of college every now and again, but I miss spending everyday of college with them. Zoom calls just don't have the same effect. I am even starting to miss my classmates, you know those people who you aren't really friends with, but you see them everyday in lessons and you get along with them, I am starting to miss people I barely even knew.

All this is making me question if university is right for me - if I am struggling to read powerpoints and copy down notes, and struggle to get myself to revise. How on earth am I going to motivate myself to do extra reading outside of lectures? I am also questioning if civil engineering is the right degree for me, I have been set on it for so long, but I am questioning why. I have a good idea of what I want to do as a career, I just don't know which path I should take to get there.

There is a couple of other things that have happened over the past few days, that I will mention in my weekly update. But this is just to let you all know how I am feeling and for me to look back on when this year is all over.

it'll be ok. We're all here for you and you can talk to me anytime

aw becca :frown: i'm so sorry that you're struggling, and i really understand how you feel about missing the classmates you barely know! is there any teacher you could email about this, like the careers adviser or your head of year maybe? all my love to you, breakdowns are absolutely awful xxx

so sorry to hear you're struggling! year 13 is hard enough when you're seeing your friends at least sometimes, I can't imagine how it feels to be spending so much time doing online school while a lot of other schools aren't doing as much virtually. I completely feel you on the motivation thing - I used to be fairly productive but now I just absolutely cannot keep my attention for anything for more than .2 seconds. here if you ever need to talk about it!!

:hugs:sorry to hear you're struggling :frown: I'm sure other people are in the same boat, online school is just not the same as actual in-person teaching. Hopefully, this won't be for long and lessons will resume to normal perhaps after Christmas, we can only hope :cry2:
Reply 87
Update #5: Not the news I wanted to hear...

So you may or may not have seen my update on Wednesday, but to summarise I am struggling with online learning in more ways than one - I am finding the actual education side hard, I miss human interactions and my mental health is just crumbling :frown: Unfortunately that day did not get any better as on Wednesday evening we received and email stating that the one week on one week off timetable is going to continue....:banghead: So yeah not the best of weeks. On a more positive note I have put a request in to switch halves of the years so that I am with more of my friends, I am waiting to hear if I will be allowed to move, but I know it will be a few week before I can switch due to the way mocks are working, but fingers crossed, I'll be able to move to the other half soon, which will make the situation a bit better :crossedf:

Subject updates are quite short this week
Maths (Pure and Applied)

Spoiler

Physics

Spoiler

Geography

Spoiler

Some other interesting things that happened in my life this week:
-I went to hockey training on Monday and recieved a head injury (the ball hit me after coming off my own stick :facepalm: ) so I have had mild concussion for most of this week :sad:
-I went into town yesterday and had went to the chippy for lunch with all my friends in the other half of the year, which was nice (its the first time I have seen some of them in 6 months :shock:) :woo:
-I, once again, made some pizza, but ate it too quickly before I could take a photo (sorry :slap: ) I will take a picture one day, I promise :lol:

Joke/Pun time :woo:
Why did the Duck cross the road?

Spoiler

A big thank you to all your words of support the other day :hugs:

Hope you've all had a good week and hope you all have a fabulous weekend! :grouphugs:

Tags (Y'all must be quackers)

Spoiler

Update #5: Not the news I wanted to hear...

So you may or may not have seen my update on Wednesday, but to summarise I am struggling with online learning in more ways than one - I am finding the actual education side hard, I miss human interactions and my mental health is just crumbling :frown: Unfortunately that day did not get any better as on Wednesday evening we received and email stating that the one week on one week off timetable is going to continue....:banghead: So yeah not the best of weeks. On a more positive note I have put a request in to switch halves of the years so that I am with more of my friends, I am waiting to hear if I will be allowed to move, but I know it will be a few week before I can switch due to the way mocks are working, but fingers crossed, I'll be able to move to the other half soon, which will make the situation a bit better :crossedf:

Subject updates are quite short this week
Maths (Pure and Applied)

Spoiler

Physics

Spoiler

Geography

Spoiler

-I went to hockey training on Monday and recieved a head injury (the ball hit me after coming off my own stick :facepalm: ) so I have had mild concussion for most of this week :sad:
-I went into town yesterday and had went to the chippy for lunch with all my friends in the other half of the year, which was nice (its the first time I have seen some of them in 6 months :shock:) :woo:
-I, once again, made some pizza, but ate it too quickly before I could take a photo (sorry :slap: ) I will take a picture one day, I promise :lol:

Why did the Duck cross the road?

Spoiler

A big thank you to all your words of support the other day :hugs:

Hope you've all had a good week and hope you all have a fabulous weekend! :grouphugs:

Tags (Y'all must be quackers)

Spoiler

get well soon head injuries are horrible
hopefully they let you move halves of the year! it must suck not being with many other people you're friends with. have a good week - hope it goes better for you! :smile:
oh no, get well soon!
Reply 91
Original post by josie71202
get well soon head injuries are horrible

Original post by procrastinatingb
hopefully they let you move halves of the year! it must suck not being with many other people you're friends with. have a good week - hope it goes better for you! :smile:

Original post by neko no basu
oh no, get well soon!

Thank you all :hugs:
oooh i really hope you get to move :") i understand the frustration wow, those livestreams sound awful! as you're missing human interaction though, my pms are always open if you want to chat about anything! :biggrin: have an amazing weekend :jumphug:
sorry to hear you're not doing great, hopefully you get to switch halves of the year:lovehug:
i never knew you did hockey :eek:
Reply 94
Original post by bookausten
oooh i really hope you get to move :") i understand the frustration wow, those livestreams sound awful! as you're missing human interaction though, my pms are always open if you want to chat about anything! :biggrin: have an amazing weekend :jumphug:

Thank you and you too!

Original post by absolutelysprout
sorry to hear you're not doing great, hopefully you get to switch halves of the year:lovehug:
i never knew you did hockey :eek:

I’ve played for about 4-5 years now, do you play?
Thank you and you too!

I’ve played for about 4-5 years now, do you play?

oh no, i wish i did though! :lol: we had like 1 lesson of it in PE
It must be very strange doing a one week in one week off timetable , I don’t think I’d be able to do it :nah: Big hugs to you! :jumphug:
Eek I hope your head feels better soon, hockey balls are pretty hard! :console:

Pizza :danceboy: Hope this coming week is better when you’re back at college :yep:
Reply 97
Update 6: Just a very busy week

Hi :wavey: I hope you are all well and if you are in areas of local restrictions or isolating I hope you are okay :hugs: As the title says, last week was extremely busy, since I was back in college. Which is why this update is a bit later than usual - I am also doing it now as I am supposed to be revising at home (procrastination at its finest :eek: ). It was good to be back however I am not a fan of the new timetable that we have (basically every lesson is now 2 hours long) - not only does this mean that the lessons drag on so much more, it also means we are receiving less lesson time with our teachers than we used to :frown: Just for context we now have 4 hours per subject face to face teaching every 2 weeks, compared to 9 hours per subject every 2 weeks last year, so yeah that is going to take some getting used to.

Maths and Further Maths

Spoiler

Physics

Spoiler

Geography

Spoiler

-I played my first hockey match since covid :rave: we lost 2-1 but it was a very close and enjoyable game :yep:
-I started having a look at the possibility of buying a laptop (the one I use for school work at the minute is an old family one that is very slow and makes the weeks where I am working from home even more tricky than they already are :confused:), if anyone has any recommendations that would be useful (I am looking for a light and small one - very specific I know :lol: )

Yeah nowt else really happened last week....

How do trees access the internet?

Spoiler

I have my end of Y12 exams next week :s-smilie: So don't know when I'll next do an update, I am very nervous as I don't feel that confident on the stuff we learnt over lockdown (an I still can't do integration to save my life) but hopefully I'll get through them :yep:

Hope you all have a good week :hugs:

Reply 98
Forgot to add tags so see the post above :smile:

Tags (Y'all must be Quackers)

Spoiler

Update 6: Just a very busy week

Hi :wavey: I hope you are all well and if you are in areas of local restrictions or isolating I hope you are okay :hugs: As the title says, last week was extremely busy, since I was back in college. Which is why this update is a bit later than usual - I am also doing it now as I am supposed to be revising at home (procrastination at its finest :eek: ). It was good to be back however I am not a fan of the new timetable that we have (basically every lesson is now 2 hours long) - not only does this mean that the lessons drag on so much more, it also means we are receiving less lesson time with our teachers than we used to :frown: Just for context we now have 4 hours per subject face to face teaching every 2 weeks, compared to 9 hours per subject every 2 weeks last year, so yeah that is going to take some getting used to.

Maths and Further Maths

Spoiler

Physics

Spoiler

Geography

Spoiler

-I played my first hockey match since covid :rave: we lost 2-1 but it was a very close and enjoyable game :yep:
-I started having a look at the possibility of buying a laptop (the one I use for school work at the minute is an old family one that is very slow and makes the weeks where I am working from home even more tricky than they already are :confused:), if anyone has any recommendations that would be useful (I am looking for a light and small one - very specific I know :lol: )

Yeah nowt else really happened last week....

How do trees access the internet?

Spoiler

I have my end of Y12 exams next week :s-smilie: So don't know when I'll next do an update, I am very nervous as I don't feel that confident on the stuff we learnt over lockdown (an I still can't do integration to save my life) but hopefully I'll get through them :yep:

Hope you all have a good week :hugs:

good luck with your mocks next week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending