The Student Room Group

Getting A*AA Wattever it takes! A Y13 GYG

Scroll to see replies

well done on surviving the first week! always the most tiring i find :yawn:

you’ve still got ages to think about your 5 unis, i wouldn’t worry :smile:

some funky stuff in maths!! i love mechanics, glad you’re enjoying this topic :tongue:

hmmm my fave emoji is probably :woo: as well. congrats on joining the vt!
:woo: congrats on joining the VT

And your notes are so neat :coma:

Fave emoji... :innocent:

Hope you have a lovely week :hugs:
Congratulations on getting on the Volunteer Team :woo: My fav emoji is this :cry2: tbh
Please tag me - us mathematicians need to stick together :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by laurawatt
Image 01-09-2020 at 14.54.jpg
Welcome to my 4th GYG blog! :biggrin: (Shoutout to Sinnoh for the title inspo!)

I'm Laura and I'm heading into Y13 and doing Maths, Further Maths, Geography (all AQA) and EPQ :u:
I'm hoping for A*AA(A in EPQ), maybe A*A*A to get into Oxford but I'm not fussed really :colondollar: We don't know our predicted grades due to Covid, but :crossedf: for something around this mark!

I'm feeling pretty okay about starting this year, obviously it's going be a weird one, but we should be getting guidance about what our exams are going to be like soon (hopefully!) which will alleviate some stress :grin:

For my GCSEs I got a 9 in maths, and 8s in everything else: English lit (AIC, Macbeth, ACC and Power+Conflict poetry) English lang, triple science, r.e, geography (AQA), music)

Am going to be applying for a Mathematics degree (maybe with a placement year if Covid allows?). So far I'm thinking about Oxford, Nottingham, Loughborough and York :beard:

This year I'm hoping to get my grade 6 cello completed, complete my Gold DofE, carry on running and generally doing sport and generally look after my wellbeing :h: Also to absolutely smash this year :dumbells:

I hope you have a great year :hugs: Please say if you want to be tagged!

I'm interested & want to be tagged as well. Can you tag me?
Original post by Muttley79
Please tag me - us mathematicians need to stick together :smile:

Will do, thanks Muttley! :h:
Original post by Abeer37
I'm interested & want to be tagged as well. Can you tag me?

Of course!
27/9/20

Hello my lovelies, sorry for the radio silence in updates :ninja: So now I have two weeks to update you on :colone:

e.gifmocks are in 11 days e.gifso i need to find my motivation sharpish lol :lol:

Maths:
a) we've been using the Newton-Raphson method to locate roots on a graph, it's pretty interesting but a bit repetitive :laugh: also the compound + double angle formulas and the proofs :boring: however the proof Qs in the exam can be worth lots of marks sooooo... best to learn them :mmm:
b) partial fractions and rational functions :rave: I've enjoyed this topic bc it's a bit simpler hehe, and now we've moved on to vectors :cry: (as you will quickly learn, i'm not that fond of mechanics)

Further Maths:
a) Finished our mega calculus review and have started (and finished) the polar coordinates topic :headfire: It's a bit lot complicated but did involve some pretty funky integration!
b) Further Mechanics will be the death of me. Finished oblique impacts and have just started the A2 Work, Energy and Power topic - which is an extension of last year's one :h:

Geography:
All of our geography lessons are dedicated to the NEA, so i thought I'd bundle it all in this section :woo: It's coming on pretty well, i've settled on a title and my proposal form was approved first time :yeah:
So the deadline for my introduction and literature review (research) is next Monday :yep: I think i'm well on track to getting that done, especially as we have all this class time for it! Wish me luck hehe

EPQ:
Have filled in my mid-project progress review sheet and talked with my teacher about it, I reckon I just need to sit down and bosh it out over a weekend tbh, I have about 1500 words so far for my investigation but ideally want another 1000 :yep: Also thinking of doing a questionnaire? Is it worth it? :smile:

In other news, i've registered for the MAT (admissions test) and have got iOS 14 (may or may not have added a few widgets and customised a few icons :teehee: pics attached if anyone's interested lol

home screen pics

QOTD: Fav musical instrument to listen to?
probably violin or cello :yes: :nopity: :rofl:

Anyways, I hope you all have an amazing week, keep smiling and safe :grouphugs:

Tagsssss - pls say if you want to be added or removed :hugs:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
27/9/20

Hello my lovelies, sorry for the radio silence in updates :ninja: So now I have two weeks to update you on :colone:

e.gifmocks are in 11 days e.gifso i need to find my motivation sharpish lol :lol:

Maths:
a) we've been using the Newton-Raphson method to locate roots on a graph, it's pretty interesting but a bit repetitive :laugh: also the compound + double angle formulas and the proofs :boring: however the proof Qs in the exam can be worth lots of marks sooooo... best to learn them :mmm:
b) partial fractions and rational functions :rave: I've enjoyed this topic bc it's a bit simpler hehe, and now we've moved on to vectors :cry: (as you will quickly learn, i'm not that fond of mechanics)

Further Maths:
a) Finished our mega calculus review and have started (and finished) the polar coordinates topic :headfire: It's a bit lot complicated but did involve some pretty funky integration!
b) Further Mechanics will be the death of me. Finished oblique impacts and have just started the A2 Work, Energy and Power topic - which is an extension of last year's one :h:

Geography:
All of our geography lessons are dedicated to the NEA, so i thought I'd bundle it all in this section :woo: It's coming on pretty well, i've settled on a title and my proposal form was approved first time :yeah:
So the deadline for my introduction and literature review (research) is next Monday :yep: I think i'm well on track to getting that done, especially as we have all this class time for it! Wish me luck hehe

EPQ:
Have filled in my mid-project progress review sheet and talked with my teacher about it, I reckon I just need to sit down and bosh it out over a weekend tbh, I have about 1500 words so far for my investigation but ideally want another 1000 :yep: Also thinking of doing a questionnaire? Is it worth it? :smile:

In other news, i've registered for the MAT (admissions test) and have got iOS 14 (may or may not have added a few widgets and customised a few icons :teehee: pics attached if anyone's interested lol

home screen pics

Spoiler

Have an amaaazing weeek lauraaaaaaa, hope the maths is tolerable for somebody of your calibre it should be regardless 💪🏼😤

Gl with your mocks! Hope you ace em 👍🏼
27/9/20

Maths:

Further Maths:

Geography:

EPQ:

home screen pics

Spoiler

ooh i can't remember what topic you're doing for your epq but a questionnaire would be good!:yep:

Good luck for the MAT! :nyan:

Fav musical instrument to listen to?
cello and saxophone 🎷
:woohoo:
Hehe it kinda is but I’m living for it :lol:
Thank youuu, if you have any mocks I hope they go well too!

:gah: that’s so cool! I love film music :yeah:
Original post by Shadbury
Have an amaaazing weeek lauraaaaaaa, hope the maths is tolerable for somebody of your calibre it should be regardless 💪🏼😤

Gl with your mocks! Hope you ace em 👍🏼

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: Thanks so much shad! Hope you have an awesome week too :biggrin:
Original post by neko no basu
ooh i can't remember what topic you're doing for your epq but a questionnaire would be good!:yep:

Good luck for the MAT! :nyan:

Fav musical instrument to listen to?
cello and saxophone 🎷

it’s about the maths behind church bellringing and how the relevance has changed over time :h:
Thanks!
Ooh a lovely selection :jumphug: Hope you have a great week!
it’s about the maths behind church bellringing and how the relevance has changed over time :h:
Thanks!
Ooh a lovely selection :jumphug: Hope you have a great week!

wow that's such a cool topic! How did you think of the idea?
Original post by neko no basu
wow that's such a cool topic! How did you think of the idea?

Aw thanks :h: Bellringing is a hobby of mine anyway, and I want to do maths at university, so I just kinda mushed the two topics together! It’s very interesting :yep: (the relevance bit is just to bulk it out really :teehee:)
oh no mocks soooo soon :gah:
good luck!
Aw thanks :h: Bellringing is a hobby of mine anyway, and I want to do maths at university, so I just kinda mushed the two topics together! It’s very interesting :yep: (the relevance bit is just to bulk it out really :teehee:)

Bellringing was the focus for the poster round at a recent UKMT National Final ....

I love teaching mechanics so am happy to answer questions.

It's quite interesting that you are learning partial fractions so late - it used to be the first topic taught in Year 12 in the classic Bostock and Chandler Pure textbook....

How would a questionnaire work? Can you get a decent sample to make it worthwhile ....

Hope the MAT prep is going well :hugs:
Reply 75
One unexpected side effect of schools being shut in March seems to be mocks coinciding with admissions tests :colonhash: but best of luck for both!

Favourite instrument to listen to... Either the entire orchestra or the classical guitar (in the hands of someone more competent than me)
Proof is the must frustrating part of alevel maths imo, but unfortunately we got to do it :redface: Hopefully the mechanics topics won’t be too bad :yep:

Best of luck with your NEA my first deadline is a week after our mocks, so I may or may not be leaving it to the last minute :lol:

Can I just say the folders in the first picture, never mind the whole of both pictures are very a aesthetically pleasing 😊

I find listening to a harp very relaxing but I also don’t mind listening to brass :biggrin:

Hope you have a good week :hugs:

Also: I have just seen your epq topic and it sounds like a very interesting idea :yep: (definitely not biased at all aha)
Original post by clouddbubbles
oh no mocks soooo soon :gah:
good luck!

Thank youuu :hugs:
Original post by Muttley79
Bellringing was the focus for the poster round at a recent UKMT National Final ....

I love teaching mechanics so am happy to answer questions.

It's quite interesting that you are learning partial fractions so late - it used to be the first topic taught in Year 12 in the classic Bostock and Chandler Pure textbook....

How would a questionnaire work? Can you get a decent sample to make it worthwhile ....

Hope the MAT prep is going well :hugs:

Ooh I remember seeing something about that, thanks!

Oh wow, I didn’t realise we were learning it so late - we covered it briefly in further maths early last year, can’t remember what for though :lol:

That’s partly my problem, I would be able to get enough results but they would mainly just be from my school so maybe not very representative of all 11-18 year olds...

Thank you :hugs:
Original post by Sinnoh
One unexpected side effect of schools being shut in March seems to be mocks coinciding with admissions tests :colonhash: but best of luck for both!

Favourite instrument to listen to... Either the entire orchestra or the classical guitar (in the hands of someone more competent than me)

Haha yes, it’s a bit inconvenient but there’s not much we can do about it! Thank you!

I’m sure you play the guitar very well :yep:
Original post by Becca216
Proof is the must frustrating part of alevel maths imo, but unfortunately we got to do it :redface: Hopefully the mechanics topics won’t be too bad :yep:

Best of luck with your NEA my first deadline is a week after our mocks, so I may or may not be leaving it to the last minute :lol:

Can I just say the folders in the first picture, never mind the whole of both pictures are very a aesthetically pleasing 😊

I find listening to a harp very relaxing but I also don’t mind listening to brass :biggrin:

Hope you have a good week :hugs:

Also: I have just seen your epq topic and it sounds like a very interesting idea :yep: (definitely not biased at all aha)

I know right :lol: Fingers crossed :crossedf:

thank you, good luck for yours! Our next section is due a week or two after mocks so may or may not leave it until after then :ninja:

haha thanks! I never knew I had so many orange and green apps :headfire:
ooh the harp :daydreaming:

definitely not biased :innocent: hope you have an amazing week :hugs:
good luck for mocks!! i’m sure you’ll smash them :biggrin:
oooh the MAT, got more confidence than i did :colondollar:
eeee i’m very glad my epq days are behind me ahaha

my fave instrument to listen to is probably also violin/strings in general, but i do also love guitar and drums
congrats on getting the nea propsoal approved :woo:
a questionnaire sounds good :colone:
good luck for the MAT!
hm i think my fave instrument to listen to is guitar or piano :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending