The Student Room Group

history coursework a level

can someone who did history a level coursework help plz
I am confused about primary and secondary sources- if you use a graph from a book is that a primary or secondary source? also do you have to reference any statistic that you use?
Reply 1
I am inclined to say that it's a secondary source, but as long as you're well-supplied with both kinds you don't need to get hung up about it. Yes you should reference statistics, because it's not your own work.

Wikipedia defines a primary source as "an artefact, document, diary, manuscript, autobiography, recording, or any other source of information that was created at the time under study." (my bold, not theirs)

The information itself would be a primary source if it were collected at the time, but the analysis of the data as a graph would be a secondary source.
Reply 2
Original post by Sinnoh
I am inclined to say that it's a secondary source, but as long as you're well-supplied with both kinds you don't need to get hung up about it. Yes you should reference statistics, because it's not your own work.

Wikipedia defines a primary source as "an artefact, document, diary, manuscript, autobiography, recording, or any other source of information that was created at the time under study." (my bold, not theirs)

The information itself would be a primary source if it were collected at the time, but the analysis of the data as a graph would be a secondary source.

ok thank you that's very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending