The Student Room Group

switching a-levels and coping with work?

very late switch, i know. deadline is today. want to switch to another subject out of fear that i won't do it and ill miss out on a lot of things it leads to as a facilitating subject. at the same time i despise it for just not being fun to me, its how i was taught to fear exam questions. my big problem is the risk factor, its a massive gamble to switch compared to my comfortable few subjects that i can do well in. i did well for it in gcse (8), but the teacher is someone who gives an obscene amount of homework and sets new homework every class. i had this teacher for one term in y10 and through his homework i started using up all my energy at home doing it and not learning anything in class, dropping my grades down to a d in the first test. he hasnt changed and i really dont know if i want to take this. it is going to pay off if it does well but its a very big gamble for me, high risk high reward.
Original post by chaoyangtea
very late switch, i know. deadline is today. want to switch to another subject out of fear that i won't do it and ill miss out on a lot of things it leads to as a facilitating subject. at the same time i despise it for just not being fun to me, its how i was taught to fear exam questions. my big problem is the risk factor, its a massive gamble to switch compared to my comfortable few subjects that i can do well in. i did well for it in gcse (8), but the teacher is someone who gives an obscene amount of homework and sets new homework every class. i had this teacher for one term in y10 and through his homework i started using up all my energy at home doing it and not learning anything in class, dropping my grades down to a d in the first test. he hasnt changed and i really dont know if i want to take this. it is going to pay off if it does well but its a very big gamble for me, high risk high reward.

what subjects are you thining about switching from and to?
Original post by harrysbar
what subjects are you thining about switching from and to?

maths from media studies. been agonizing over this for the past month, on this website too
maths from media studies. been agonizing over this for the past month, on this website too

And what subject do you want to do at uni? What are your other subjects?
And what subject do you want to do at uni? What are your other subjects?

english lit., history, geography. want to still keep my options open, although i'm leaning towards the social sciences and humanities. i want to work in mental health, education, or academia in the future.
english lit., history, geography. want to still keep my options open, although i'm leaning towards the social sciences and humanities. i want to work in mental health, education, or academia in the future.

That being the case you really don’t need maths, or even 4 A levels. I would continue with media studies for as long as you are enjoying it.
That being the case you really don’t need maths, or even 4 A levels. I would continue with media studies for as long as you are enjoying it.

ive been told this a lot. maths opens up doors like economics and psychology which are fields i might want to go into and other things like philosophy look favorably on it. i might also change my interests to compsci or something. its also very much a personal challenge thing and i also dont want to throw behind such a useful subject and my last remaining link to stem.
ive been told this a lot. maths opens up doors like economics and psychology which are fields i might want to go into and other things like philosophy look favorably on it. i might also change my interests to compsci or something. its also very much a personal challenge thing and i also dont want to throw behind such a useful subject and my last remaining link to stem.

Do maths then
Do maths then

i think thats where my problem lies. both options have their benefits and drawbacks and i cant pick between one. maths has a high level of risk and uncertainty (regarding me not really needing it for things in university sometimes) but im afraid of not doing it because of what ill be missing out on. it is also going to mess my mental health up because i really dont like the teacher and i dont like maths in general
i think thats where my problem lies. both options have their benefits and drawbacks and i cant pick between one. maths has a high level of risk and uncertainty (regarding me not really needing it for things in university sometimes) but im afraid of not doing it because of what ill be missing out on. it is also going to mess my mental health up because i really dont like the teacher and i dont like maths in general

Don’t do maths then 🥴
In all honesty I think you’re overthinking it. You don’t need maths for psychology or for most other things. It’s impossible to keep every door open and we’re talking about your 4th A level when the vast majority of people only take 3 anyway. Plus you’ve already missed a lot of Maths A level work. You are only making yourself unhappy by overthinking it

Quick Reply

Latest