The Student Room Group

how to respond to a racial slur in public

if im on the train and a rando uses a slur towards you do you ignore it or do you say something back? i've always ignored it but i dont want to anymore but i also dont want to put myself in danger??
You don't gain anything by responding. They will stay racist and potentially harm you, so it's not worth the risk, no matter how infuriating it may be
Original post by Anonymous
Say a racial slur to them (unless theyre not white)

Do you realise how stupidly regressive this is?
Depends what they said, who said it and where.
Depends who you are and what you expect to achieve by it.
In most cases you should simply ignore.
Original post by Mrepic Foulger
Do you realise how stupidly regressive this is?

No
Wait until the train conductor comes and report it. Also film them so that you have evidence. Don't retaliate.
Say a racial slur to them (unless theyre not white)

Well done on one of the most stupid answers I have ever seen on TSR and thats saying something.
Ignore it. You shouldn't have to but if you ignore it they're less likely to repeat it, or it's less likely to escalate. If it happens on a train inform the transport police at the station.
Original post by 999tigger
Well done on one of the most stupid answers I have ever seen on TSR and thats saying something.

How lol
No

I'm hoping you are young or trolling, otherwise our education system really has failed. All you will achieve by that is make the stranger more racist, and potentially even build up your own subconscious bias against the strangers race
I'm hoping you are young or trolling, otherwise our education system really has failed. All you will achieve by that is make the stranger more racist, and potentially even build up your own subconscious bias against the strangers race

He deserves it, and no im not trolling. Im 15

It's not about whether he deserves it or not - i think he deserves alot worse than just words being thrown back. The point is, it will make everything worse for everyone, and could be dangerous.

Here's what is wrong with saying an racial insult back:

-Shouting a racial slur is would anger the racist a LOT, it probably won't hurt them emotionally in the same way it hurt OP, but it will enrage them that OP is actually standing up to them.
-It will put OP in great danger. If someone is confident and racist enough to hurl verbal slurs at someone in a public place, they will have no problem using physical violence if it comes to it.

The best way to respond to these things is to not retaliate, but then find a member of staff to deal with them, or call the police if OP feels threatened.
Well of course the right thing to do is to be the 'bigger man', sometimes it can be hard but you don't really wanna get into a scrap, potentially hurt yourself and get police involved.
It's not about whether he deserves it or not - i think he deserves alot worse than just words being thrown back. The point is, it will make everything worse for everyone, and could be dangerous.

He still deserves it

Original post by chloenix

-Shouting a racial slur is would anger the racist a LOT, it probably won't hurt them emotionally in the same way it hurt OP, but it will enrage them that OP is actually standing up to them.
-It will put OP in great danger. If someone is confident and racist enough to hurl verbal slurs at someone in a public place, they will have no problem using physical violence if it comes to it.

The best way to respond to these things is to not retaliate, but then find a member of staff to deal with them, or call the police if OP feels threatened.

ok
ok

The stupidity on tsr sometimes exceeds my expectations
Personally, if I'm on my ones I'd ignore it. But if I'm with my boys, hahaha don't blame me for being a lil cheeky.
Original post by chloenix

thank you, it is probs better to ignore it than comment something back Xx

Quick Reply

Latest