The Student Room Group

Anyone been Italy ?

Hey:smile:,

Has anyone been to Italy, Rome ? I can't seem to get my head around the public transport, what ticket/pass would be best to get for like unlimited travel on the buses and trains there. Thnx :smile:
Hey

For Rome if you're only taking the odd journey the standard single ticket usually works out cheapest at EUR 1.50 - it's called a "biglietto integrato a tempo" or BIT for short. You can buy these from metro stations or the corner tabacchi shop. I'd recommend these over the passes.

If you really want a pass there are also 24, 48 and 72 hour tickets priced at 7, 12.50 and 18 EUR respectively. So you'd need to be taking 5 trips a day for the 24h pass to be worth it, 8 trips in 48h to make the 48h pass worthwhile and 12 trips in 72h for the 72h pass to be worthwhile.

I personally walked most places in Rome but say your accommodation is near Termini like most are - that's a pretty long walk to anywhere west of the Vittoriano. So you may find having a pass is worthwhile but if I found myself taking more singles than economically sound I'd just take the hit - it's minimal after all.
Original post by rockrunride
X.

Thnx so much :smile:, arrived at Rome few hours ago. On second thoughts, I think given how close I am to Central Rome, I'll just be best off to go for the first option you said (from what I think you meant there), it seems such great value - at EUR 1.50 you get I believe 100 Bus hours or so, and on a rolling basis too, so carrying forward the hours from one day to the next is no problem at all. It's pretty cheap for what it gives and plus I think I'll be walking around Rome to get to places quite a bit, sometimes a Bus to help get me around, probably 0 train/underground/metro journeys I reckon.
Original post by Anonymous370
Thnx so much :smile:, arrived at Rome few hours ago. On second thoughts, I think given how close I am to Central Rome, I'll just be best off to go for the first option you said (from what I think you meant there), it seems such great value - at EUR 1.50 you get I believe 100 Bus hours or so, and on a rolling basis too, so carrying forward the hours from one day to the next is no problem at all. It's pretty cheap for what it gives and plus I think I'll be walking around Rome to get to places quite a bit, sometimes a Bus to help get me around, probably 0 train/underground/metro journeys I reckon.

Travelling during covid. Wtf lol.

Check out happycow.net Great place to find lots of good local vegan places.
Original post by boulderingislife
Travelling during covid. Wtf lol.

Check out happycow.net Great place to find lots of good local vegan places.

:tongue: :biggrin: :smile: Lol, first Italy is OK, atleast at the moment, plus it's been real tough staying Home all day ofc so a much needed break help enormously, not to forget the mental health dimension of health too ofc :wink::biggrin:.

Thnx ! I've already seen a number of vegan places to eat at around me ! :biggrin:
:tongue: :biggrin: :smile: Lol, first Italy is OK, atleast at the moment, plus it's been real tough staying Home all day ofc so a much needed break help enormously, not to forget the mental health dimension of health too ofc :wink::biggrin:.

Thnx ! I've already seen a number of vegan places to eat at around me ! :biggrin:

How is the giving up cows milk journey going? Weaned yourself off it yet?
Original post by boulderingislife
How is the giving up cows milk journey going? Weaned yourself off it yet?

sorry but would rather not let this thread get off topic if that makes sense...
Hey

For Rome if you're only taking the odd journey the standard single ticket usually works out cheapest at EUR 1.50 - it's called a "biglietto integrato a tempo" or BIT for short. You can buy these from metro stations or the corner tabacchi shop. I'd recommend these over the passes.

So then how exactly do they know when the 100 Bus hours have all been used up ? I mean, do you touch out on the Rome buses when you hop off or what ? Else, how could they possibly know the length of a given bus journey then ? :confused:
@rockrunride I used a Bus to get back Home after visiting a museum, I didn't do any touch out, just got off like others without any touching out as such. To get on the bus, there doesn't seem to be any touch in either to my surprise:eek::confused:... It seems a bit mind boggling to me tbh...
@rockrunride I used a Bus to get back Home after visiting a museum, I didn't do any touch out, just got off like others without any touching out as such. To get on the bus, there doesn't seem to be any touch in either to my surprise:eek::confused:... It seems a bit mind boggling to me tbh...

I last went in 2016 and it appeared to me that you just put your ticket into the bus reader/metro gate and it stamps an expiration date on the back - it'll say "Scade dd/mm/yy hh:mm". No need to touch out on either bus or metro.
I last went in 2016 and it appeared to me that you just put your ticket into the bus reader/metro gate and it stamps an expiration date on the back - it'll say "Scade dd/mm/yy hh:mm". No need to touch out on either bus or metro.

Ah, cool:smile:. Out of interest, what is meant by the "Emiss." date on it ? Thanks again. :smile:
Ah, cool:smile:. Out of interest, what is meant by the "Emiss." date on it ? Thanks again. :smile:

Think date of printing. This'll be the date of purchase if you buy at a metro station but likely to be a while ago if you buy at a tabacchi.
Think date of printing. This'll be the date of purchase if you buy at a metro station but likely to be a while ago if you buy at a tabacchi.

Oh I see, makes perfect sense:smile:, thnx:biggrin:.
Original post by Vanessa Chuah

Hahahah good mention, albeit I don't much about Rome's public transport system since I am from Milan :s-smilie:
Original post by lancpe2002
Hahahah good mention, albeit I don't much about Rome's public transport system since I am from Milan :s-smilie:

Okay:smile:, how's Milan like then ? :biggrin:
Okay:smile:, how's Milan like then ? :biggrin:

Well, pretty nice, although I prefer living in England :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest