The Student Room Group

still waiting for Tesco interview

So 4 days ago I passed onto the interview stage for tesco. however, it still says on the website that all the interview slots have been filled up and I shall be informed via email.

idk how long this will take. I've already sent an email to HR and they responded saying they have forwarded the email to the relevant team.

but now I'm thinking of calling the store and asking for the manager. also, it says on the job the expiry date is 15/10. so next month. maybe I just applied really early?

but I also don't want someone else to have an interview before me and get the job.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by '_'
So 4 days ago I passed onto the interview stage for tesco. however, it still says on the website that all the interview slots have been filled up and I shall be informed via email.

idk how long this will take. I've already sent an email to HR and they responded saying they have forwarded the email to the relevant team.

but now I'm thinking of calling the store and asking for the manager. also, it says on the job the expiry date is 15/10. so next month. maybe I just applied really early?

but I also don't want someone else to have an interview before me and get the job.

If the closing date is October, you obviously applied very early. They will reply to you nearer the time please don’t fret.

Even if someone else gets an interview before you doesn’t mean a job is guaranteed for them same for you. Doesn’t matter on the date of the interview it’s essentially how you portray yourself in the interview that matters.
Original post by '_'

Hi,

I had the same thing just 6 weeks ago. I would strongly advise you to call the store now. I had this same problem I called 2 days after that all the interview slots were booked they told me to wait. A day before the deadline closed they told me they stopped recruiting. This has happened to many people frequently. They withdraw your interview immediately once they've got their candidates. In a polite way say that ''I have heard problems with the system not allowing people to book their interivew and I would find it unfair if I didn't get a chance for an interview. May I book an interview please. I really want to work for Tesco.'' Don't wait like me your application will be withdrawn. I applied early and I still didn't get a chance. The tesco system has messed things up. Also any queries on Tesco ask @TraceyW
Reply 3
Original post by Pro Gamer 2003
Hi,

I had the same thing just 6 weeks ago. I would strongly advise you to call the store now. I had this same problem I called 2 days after that all the interview slots were booked they told me to wait. A day before the deadline closed they told me they stopped recruiting. This has happened to many people frequently. They withdraw your interview immediately once they've got their candidates. In a polite way say that ''I have heard problems with the system not allowing people to book their interivew and I would find it unfair if I didn't get a chance for an interview. May I book an interview please. I really want to work for Tesco.'' Don't wait like me your application will be withdrawn. I applied early and I still didn't get a chance. The tesco system has messed things up. Also any queries on Tesco ask @TraceyW

I thought something like that might happen. I've been out of work for 6 months, I'm desperate so I intend to get this job very much. thank you so much!
Reply 4
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
If the closing date is October, you obviously applied very early. They will reply to you nearer the time please don’t fret.

Even if someone else gets an interview before you doesn’t mean a job is guaranteed for them same for you. Doesn’t matter on the date of the interview it’s essentially how you portray yourself in the interview that matters.

this is what I initially thought. but look at pro gamer 2003's experience. thank you nonetheless!
Original post by '_'
this is what I initially thought. but look at pro gamer 2003's experience. thank you nonetheless!

Calling the store, might go both ways. They might tell you they have closed the applications early therefore not recruiting anymore, or they will give you an update on your application. A tip I will give is when you do call them ask them for a quick feedback upon your application. This will ensure that should you not get the job at tescos you can work on your form and make it appealing to employers.

I wish you all the best OP. 😊
''May I book an interview please. I really want to work for Tesco.''

I'm just a dumbass edgy kid that'll get nowhere in life but this sent me 😂

Spoiler

Reply 7
Update: I've called the store and a worker answered from the phone shop (which is the department I'm applying for). I told him that I have an interview but it says all the spots have been filled. he said his manager deals with that and will be in tomorrow. I also asked him if anyone has come in for an interview and he said quite a lot have.

I'm just going to start applying to more jobs now to prepare 😂

but tomorrow I will try my best to get that interview. I am actually really good in interviews, I just never pass the online screening. thank you guys!
Original post by '_'
Update: I've called the store and a worker answered from the phone shop (which is the department I'm applying for). I told him that I have an interview but it says all the spots have been filled. he said his manager deals with that and will be in tomorrow. I also asked him if anyone has come in for an interview and he said quite a lot have.

I'm just going to start applying to more jobs now to prepare 😂

but tomorrow I will try my best to get that interview. I am actually really good in interviews, I just never pass the online screening. thank you guys!

Goodluck 👍
Reply 9
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
Calling the store, might go both ways. They might tell you they have closed the applications early therefore not recruiting anymore, or they will give you an update on your application. A tip I will give is when you do call them ask them for a quick feedback upon your application. This will ensure that should you not get the job at tescos you can work on your form and make it appealing to employers.

I wish you all the best OP. 😊

yea I will probably use this advice tomorrow when, hopefully, the manager picks up. or I might just go there in person😂
Reply 10
Original post by PewNews
Goodluck 👍

thank you!
Reply 11
update: I called and the manager picked up. I asked her why I haven't had an interview yet and she said the vacancy is closed now.

I thought it was a definite interview, I didn't think there was another hurdle.

this is so stupid. so she said from the people who passed to the interview stage they chose less people to actaully be interviewed. I just think it's unfair. there's always people with more experience applying and get chosen.
Original post by '_'
update: I called and the manager picked up. I asked her why I haven't had an interview yet and she said the vacancy is closed now.

this is so stupid. so she said from the people who passed to the interview stage they chose less people to actaully be interviewed. I just think it's unfair. there's always people with more experience applying and get chosen.

I know it’s unfair. But I had the same thing. You’ll have to move on. Fortunately I’ve been offered a job.
Original post by '_'

Hi there
As pro gamer 2003 said about his experience over last year almost then you know that things with tesco are bad ok.

As far as the closing date goes ok, if that particular tesco store had a over whelming influx of job application's then they have the right to withdraw the job advert and stop processing anymore applications and go through the ones they have got already and once they fill upto that or any vacancy they are within rights to withdraw the job regardless of when closing date is. Nothing is gaunantee I'm afraid and ask pro gamer 2003 on this okay as he lost count on how many he never got himself.

I assure you that experience don't count for anything although it helps ok.
I can say that people who had more experience don't always get picked as lots of applicants with no experience get picked as well.
I know the process is a shame and that's coming from somebody who sat in on there interviews

Just reapply for other jobs as they will be advertising again for temps for Xmas period.
Reply 14
@Thecrazydoughnut @Pro Gamer 2003 @PewNews @Tracey_W

UPDATE:

So following my unsuccessful application for the specific job. I sent an email to Tesco's resourcing and Natasha Adams (Chief People Officer and senior Tesco HR) 4 days ago. To sum up, I explained my unfair treatment in the email, doing so respectfully.

just now, the area manager for Tesco Phone shop phoned me and explained that it was a technical issue where about 90 people got through to the interview stage and that they just chose the most experienced. I was very understanding and respectful, I said that although I don't have as much experience, I am very enthusiastic. he said that you seem like a nice person and would give me a chance if any phone shop roles come up in the area in the next few months.

to be honest I didn't think I would get back an email, yet alone a phone call from the area manager. I hope jobs come up so he'll contact me again.

but yh, that's it really. I wasn't going to send the email initially but I've been unemployed for some time and I'm beginning to get fed up. but you have to understand so many people apply to these jobs and people like me with barely any experience will rarely even get a chance at an interview.

anyway, thank you all
Original post by '_'

UPDATE:

So following my unsuccessful application for the specific job. I sent an email to Tesco's resourcing and Natasha Adams (Chief People Officer and senior Tesco HR) 4 days ago. To sum up, I explained my unfair treatment in the email, doing so respectfully.

just now, the area manager for Tesco Phone shop phoned me and explained that it was a technical issue where about 90 people got through to the interview stage and that they just chose the most experienced. I was very understanding and respectful, I said that although I don't have as much experience, I am very enthusiastic. he said that you seem like a nice person and would give me a chance if any phone shop roles come up in the area in the next few months.

to be honest I didn't think I would get back an email, yet alone a phone call from the area manager. I hope jobs come up so he'll contact me again.

but yh, that's it really. I wasn't going to send the email initially but I've been unemployed for some time and I'm beginning to get fed up. but you have to understand so many people apply to these jobs and people like me with barely any experience will rarely even get a chance at an interview.

anyway, thank you all

Hi

Well good for you for sending a email to them as sometimes that's what it takes to address a issues with things ok,

And to get a reply & phonecall as well back even better as you said you didn't expect a answer never mind a phonecall from a area manager.

I would generally suggest a call or email to there recruitment office or head office to raise any problems.

Just keep eye on jobs vacancies within your area and apply incase you don't get that call okay.
If anything I can help with give me a PM ok and see what can do except getting you job as outwith my remit at tesco.
Original post by '_'

UPDATE:

anyway, thank you all

Obviously don’t wait for the phone calls as they may never call you. Apply for many jobs. Turn on job notifications at all retail places close to you. Check indeed and reed daily band you’ll get something. Check careers websites as well.
Reply 17
Original post by Tracey_W
Hi

Well good for you for sending a email to them as sometimes that's what it takes to address a issues with things ok,

And to get a reply & phonecall as well back even better as you said you didn't expect a answer never mind a phonecall from a area manager.

I would generally suggest a call or email to there recruitment office or head office to raise any problems.

Just keep eye on jobs vacancies within your area and apply incase you don't get that call okay.
If anything I can help with give me a PM ok and see what can do except getting you job as outwith my remit at tesco.

thank you so much!
Original post by '_'
thank you so much!

You are welcome ok xx
Reply 19
Obviously don’t wait for the phone calls as they may never call you. Apply for many jobs. Turn on job notifications at all retail places close to you. Check indeed and reed daily band you’ll get something. Check careers websites as well.

yea definitely will do. I've just been losing motivation to apply to jobs, considering I've applied to hundreds and perfected my resume. but I must keep going. thank you, it means a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending