The Student Room Group

Alevel Maths - Finding the Roots of functions

Hi everyone! please could someone explain to me the the part of the solution working that I drew an arrow to? I really dont understand that bit. thanks!

Attachment not found

Attachment not found
Original post by tomas530
Hi everyone! please could someone explain to me the the part of the solution working that I drew an arrow to? I really dont understand that bit. thanks!

It is explicitly rewriting the function into a form that shows f(x) is actually a hidden quadratic. Remember that quadratics are of the form

a(variable)^2 + b(variable) + c

So in your case the (variable) is just x^3

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Hi! What they did was take out a factor of x^3 from all terms with an x^3 in to make the factorising easier!

To think about it a different way, for the x^6 + 7x^3 - 8 =0, they in effect replaced any x^3 with “k” (just a constant like “x” is), to get k^2 + 7k - 8 = 0, which you’ll notice is a lot easier to factorise than anything with a power of 6
Then they factorise the new equation for (k-1)(k+8)=0
Now replace the k with x^3 again and solve the brackets :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by laurawatt
Hi! What they did there was pull a factor of x^3 out, to make the factorising easier!

To think about it a different way, for the x^6 + 7x^3 - 8 =0, they in effect replaced any x^3 with “k” (just a constant like “x” is), to get k^2 + 7k - 8 = 0, which you’ll notice is a lot easier to factorise than anything with a power of 6

Ah thats perfect. thank you to both of you for your help : )
Reply 4
Hi! What they did there was pull a factor of x^3 out, to make the factorising easier!

Hi, Im practising some more of these questions and came across this one:

Find all the roots of the following function:

m(x) = x^3 + 5x^2 -24x

But Here you cant just pull out a factor of x to the power of something. So how should I start? Thanks :smile:

m(x) = x^3 + 5x^2 -24x

But Here you cant just pull out a factor of x to the power of something. So how should I start? Thanks :smile:

Hi :smile: take out a factor of x to get x(... + ..... - ......) =0
Reply 6

m(x) = x^3 + 5x^2 -24x

But Here you cant just pull out a factor of x to the power of something. So how should I start? Thanks

Oh I think ive got it. I just pull out x as a factor, right?
Oh I think ive got it. I just pull out x as a factor, right?

Yep
Reply 8
Yep

brill. thanks Laura!

Slight care is needed with the wording. Here x^3 is not 'pulled out as a factor' at all.

However, in the most recent example, indeed a factor of x needs to be pulled out first.
Original post by RDKGames
Slight care is needed with the wording. Here x^3 is not 'pulled out as a factor' at all.

However, in the most recent example, indeed a factor of x needs to be pulled out first.

I agree, slight error in my wording as x^3 was not a factor for all of the terms - thanks!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Alright, I have done a few more correctly, but... here comes a hard one. Could one of you please help me with this new question before I make a frustrating mistake?

The question is:

Find all real roots of the following function:

m(x) = 2x^2/3 + 2x^1/3 -12

Would i need to convert them into surds? Or should I 'factor out' ^1/3 ?

Thanks

PS: sorry for so many questions
Alright, I have done a few more correctly, but... here comes a hard one. Could one of you please help me with this new question before I make a frustrating mistake?

The question is:

Find all real roots of the following function:

m(x) = 2x^2/3 + 2x^1/3 -12

Would i need to convert them into surds? Or should I 'factor out' ^1/3 ?

Thanks

PS: sorry for so many questions

let y = x1/3
Reply 13
Original post by the bear
let y = x1/3

how though?
how though?

Rewrite the question in terms of y (given that y = x^(1/3)). This will give you a quadratic in y.
Reply 15
20200927_155831-compressed.jpg.jpeg

this doesn't look right 😩
x2/32x1/3x^{2/3} \neq 2x^{1/3}.
20200927_155831-compressed.jpg.jpeg

this doesn't look right 😩

what must you do to x1/3 to make it become x2/3 ?
Original post by the bear
what must you do to x1/3 to make it become x2/3 ?

Rub out the 1 and write 2 in its place?
Original post by RDKGames
Rub out the 1 and write 2 in its place?

:spank:

Quick Reply

Latest