The Student Room Group

Science / biology Equivalency tests

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. So I Decided to become a primary school teacher - I chose the QTS and PGCE school direct route , however I don’t have a science GCSE and I intend to do the science equivalency test , so I Decided not to do the combined sciences but only the biology equivalency test
Does anyone know if this will be acceptable or sufficient enough to get into primary teaching ? or do I need to do the combined sciences ? I have a lot of work to do as I have my personal statement , I need study for the numeracy and literacy professional tests and this science equivalency test aswell .
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by h1982
Hi I wonder if anyone can help. So I Decided to become a primary school teacher - I chose the QTS and PGCE school direct route , however I don’t have a science GCSE and I intend to do the science equivalency test , so I Decided not to do the combined sciences but only the biology equivalency test
Does anyone know if this will be acceptable or sufficient enough to get into primary teaching ? or do I need to do the combined sciences ? I have a lot of work to do as I have my personal statement , I need study for the numeracy and literacy professional tests and this science equivalency test aswell .

it would be best to email the universities and ask what they accept before making any decisions.
Reply 2
Biology on its own is fine. But I've been told to take combined as it's multiple choice so easier than Biology on its own.Sorry if this reply is too late, just got on this site. I'm in the same situation as you but have done my skills test. Just have science to pass! Good luck.
Hey I am in the exact same position as you! I contacted my alliance & they said the equivalency biology qualification on its own is fine!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
I am the same. Does anybody have ant revision for this exam? Thanks
Biology should be fine, as both of the universities I considered advised so. I booked my biology test with A Star Teachers. Combined Science seemed scarier for some reason. I don't even know if I did the right thing, because I am struggling with biology too. Somebody help me. :-(
Reply 6
Original post by tanmae
Biology should be fine, as both of the universities I considered advised so. I booked my biology test with A Star Teachers. Combined Science seemed scarier for some reason. I don't even know if I did the right thing, because I am struggling with biology too. Somebody help me. :-(

I was going to do the Biology Test but changed to combined science at A* Star Teachers (I think they are now A Star Equivalency) but they explained that their combined science was benchmarked on an older Edexcel single science and as single science "more spread" over Biology, Chemistry and physics it required less depth than a single science Biology alone which had "more depth" -- they said unless you have good Biology already it is easier to learn the "spread" over the "depth" :-)- plus the combined science was multiple choice :-) :-)it says something about here https://astarequivalency.co.uk/biology/
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Dave1021
I was going to do the Biology Test but changed to combined science at A* Star Teachers (I think they are now A Star Equivalency) but they explained that their combined science was benchmarked on an older Edexcel single science and as single science "more spread" over Biology, Chemistry and physics it required less depth than a single science Biology alone which had "more depth" -- they said unless you have good Biology already it is easier to learn the "spread" over the "depth" :-)- plus the combined science was multiple choice :-) :-)it says something about here https://astarequivalency.co.uk/biology/

Thank you.
Original post by Dave1021

Hey! How did the test go? I’m in the same boat! I’ve just started learning/revising for combined science equivalency as I need to pass it before September in order to be able to do my teacher training! Any advice/what topics I should cover specifically/resources etc would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Kelly
Reply 9
I've been studying for months for my Biology and will sit my equivalency test today with Equivalency Testing. Com. I've been looking for what kind of format the test will take but had no luck.If anyone needs resources for learning and improving I can recommend the Khan Academy website. It's free to use and really well presented, there's some tough multiple choice questions which I always fail to answer correctly. Pearson have a massive collection of exams going back to 2011 on their website. I've sat about 10 of them now and marked my own papers with their mark schemes. That has been the most valuable resource. I also paid for a tutor in February with ICS learn. They have the full course materials which are a bit boring to look at, but you can send your tutor any test papers you've sat and they will go over it with you. It took me years to get here, I was worried about it for ages but the process has been quite enjoyable. Especially in lockdown.Good luck with your Primary Education entry. I might see you there.
@UhmmActuallyYes clear your thing again lmfaoo
Original post by Edward0
I've been studying for months for my Biology and will sit my equivalency test today with Equivalency Testing. Com. I've been looking for what kind of format the test will take but had no luck.If anyone needs resources for learning and improving I can recommend the Khan Academy website. It's free to use and really well presented, there's some tough multiple choice questions which I always fail to answer correctly. Pearson have a massive collection of exams going back to 2011 on their website. I've sat about 10 of them now and marked my own papers with their mark schemes. That has been the most valuable resource. I also paid for a tutor in February with ICS learn. They have the full course materials which are a bit boring to look at, but you can send your tutor any test papers you've sat and they will go over it with you. It took me years to get here, I was worried about it for ages but the process has been quite enjoyable. Especially in lockdown.Good luck with your Primary Education entry. I might see you there.

Hey thanks for the advice! Have you done your test yet and if so how did it go? Best of luck :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by xxgreenxx
Hey thanks for the advice! Have you done your test yet and if so how did it go? Best of luck :smile:

I took my test. It wasn't as original as the Edexcel/Pearson exam papers, questions were varied though, not much in terms of experiment questions, stuff about evolution, osmosis, cell organelles and human biology as expected. I finished the exam much, much, much earlier than the Pearson exams. So had plenty of time to go over it afterwards and make sure I wasn't dropping any points. It's a 2 hour exam.

Thanks for asking. I've not got the results back yet. But should this week. Fingers still crossed.
Original post by Edward0
I took my test. It wasn't as original as the Edexcel/Pearson exam papers, questions were varied though, not much in terms of experiment questions, stuff about evolution, osmosis, cell organelles and human biology as expected. I finished the exam much, much, much earlier than the Pearson exams. So had plenty of time to go over it afterwards and make sure I wasn't dropping any points. It's a 2 hour exam.

Thanks for asking. I've not got the results back yet. But should this week. Fingers still crossed.

Best of luck! :smile:
Hey did you sit this test online??
Reply 15
Original post by Jgeorge29

Yes, I did. They have timetables updated every week or so. By the way, just got the results from my Equivalency Testing exam. I scored 94%!! Highest mark I've ever got.

Again, I was averaging 75% on the Pearson tests. So I would use that as the benchmark to work towards and you should have no problem with the equivalency test.

If you have any questions let me know.
Original post by Edward0
Yes, I did. They have timetables updated every week or so. By the way, just got the results from my Equivalency Testing exam. I scored 94%!! Highest mark I've ever got.

Again, I was averaging 75% on the Pearson tests. So I would use that as the benchmark to work towards and you should have no problem with the equivalency test.

If you have any questions let me know.

Hey! That's awesome! Congratulations! :smile:
Original post by Edward0

Spoiler

Reply 18
Original post by xxgreenxx
Hey! That's awesome! Congratulations! :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 19
Original post by Jgeorge29

Hi George, I sat the test online yes.

Equivalency Testing didn't manage to respond to a single email, they are really ill prepared in the administration department but they sent the emails and confirmations of the examination when I'd completed the forms and sent the money. It felt rather daunting to send money to them when they couldn't even manage a reply to an email.

Anyway. I've had a couple of private messages about the format so I'll mention them here for anyone to read.

It takes place on Google classrooms, so you'll need to install that. The invigilator watches you and about 20 others on Zoom, so you'll have to install that too, they send you the login details 2-3 days before the test so don't get worried until the day before.

You'll need a web cam and microphone, desktop is recommended as some of the guys sitting their exam couldn't have zoom and Google classrooms open at the same time. Two devices might be ok (phone for zoom, desktop/tablet for Google classrooms)

The test was easier than the Pearson exams, but had plenty of content in 12 multiple part questions covering the usual things like plant/animal cells, pathogens, vaccinations, transportation, photosynthesis, food chains, energy transfer, homeostasis, evolution, biodiversity and hormones.

If you can manage to do ok in the person IGCSE past papers which you can download for free from the Pearson website (link below)...

.... You'll do fine in the Equivalency Testing paper.

Let me know how you get on. And feel free to ask any more nagging questions.

Edward.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending