The Student Room Group

My flatmates mocking my religion

I’m a Christian and get on with my flatmates but when we were out last night, they all started taking the piss out of Christianity and ripping into it. Then they asked if anyone here is a Christian so I said no to avoid the drama. It really destroyed any potential of liking my flatmates at all. One of them who wasn’t there is bisexual but he has no beef with me. My other flatmate who is gay actively despises Christianity. What do I do? They all think I agree with them and that I’m not a Christian

Scroll to see replies

Report them for hate crime then preach the lord.
I've lived with militant atheists, religious ranters and a few other types of dogma fanatics.
Don't take it personally.
Nor allow their opinions, lousy jokes and bad tempers to trigger a bad temper.

Best to just ignore their noise nuisance and any other nonsense.
They have the absolute freedom to choose and ridicule any beliefs that they want.
So do you.
The difference is you are mature enough to try to get along with everyone that you live with- regardless of whether you agree with their beliefs or not. :smile:
Good luck!
Reply 3
You just have to ignore it and move on. I can offer no useful advice because I'd be participating in their discussion as an anti-theist.
Original post by TheStupidMoon
Report them for hate crime then preach the lord.

That's really dumb. Ideas don't get protection. Religion in particular deserved to be mocked - it's baseless.
Original post by RogerOxon
That's really dumb. Ideas don't get protection. Religion in particular deserved to be mocked - it's baseless.

There's no such thing as "religion", just many religions, everyone has one. As for base, lol.
Original post by Siciliano
I’m a Christian and get on with my flatmates but when we were out last night, they all started taking the piss out of Christianity and ripping into it. Then they asked if anyone here is a Christian so I said no to avoid the drama. It really destroyed any potential of liking my flatmates at all. One of them who wasn’t there is bisexual but he has no beef with me. My other flatmate who is gay actively despises Christianity. What do I do? They all think I agree with them and that I’m not a Christian

What, exactly, did they say? Christianity makes some pretty daft, and unsubstantiated, claims, that even most Christians don't believe.

From what you've said, they were mocking a religion, not you. Don't take it personally - use it as a way to see another perspective on you religion. For example, I assume that you don't agree with the Bible's rules on keeping slaves?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Justvisited
There's no such thing as "religion", just many religions, everyone has one.

1. The OED disagrees with you;
2. I don't.
1. The OED disagrees with you;
2. I don't.

Did you write the OED? Dictionaries often come up with dumb stuff.

And yes you do, or you're not human.

I think that the equality act would disagree with you... but yeah I am not a huge fan of religion either (but I don't care if someone is religious or not).

Have you tried looking for its definition? I don't need to have written it to be able to read it.

I know what I believe somewhat better than you. Are you claiming to be a mind-reader now?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Tell them you're Christian but respect all of their sexualitys or ignore it and move on. Perhaps they'll knock it off.
Ideas don't get protection.

Of course they do. Try criticising certain ideas on Facebook or Twitter, or indeed on here, and see what happens.

so atheists are not human? I may "have" a religion (I do) but do I practice it or like it? big no.
Reply 14

So what if its baseless? It brings some people comfort, why do you have such an issue with that?
Sure there is another side of religion some of which involves some less than ideal ideas but OP seems relatively happy with their religion.
Original post by 1st superstar
I think that the equality act would disagree with you...

Do you have the wording? It'd be good to have that in the Debate forum, so as not to derail this thread any further.
Reply 16

I am Christian and my friends tease me all the time! Heck, sometimes I join in and tease myself as they are not necessarily making fun of Christianity itself but the stereotypical militant Christian that! So it is no biggy as long as you turn the other cheek and be friendly they will learn that not all Christians are "wack".
Original post by LovelyMrFox
So what if its baseless? It brings some people comfort, why do you have such an issue with that?
Sure there is another side of religion some of which involves some less than ideal ideas but OP seems relatively happy with their religion.

And their flatmates aren't. We still don't know exactly what they mocked, or whether they had a point. They were not having a go at the OP thought.

We can't debate the plus and minuses of religion here.
Of course they do. Try criticising certain ideas on Facebook or Twitter, or indeed on here, and see what happens.

Nothing happens. There is a religious debate forum on TSR precisely for this reason to criticise religion and atheism.
Do you have the wording? It'd be good to have that in the Debate forum, so as not to derail this thread any further.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/contents

Sorry to hear that this happened. It is still possible to backtrack on yourself if necessary/prudent. If this happened to me, I possibly would have hidden it to but there's always the opportunity to say afterwards (perhaps in a flat group chat on social media?), "hey all, just wanted to say I actually am a Christian but didn't feel comfortable/confident saying that last night, given the conversations that were going on". You don't need to offer any further comments or opinions on what was said, though (as someone else suggested) if appropriate, you could stress that but that you are accepting of differences in other people's beliefs and/or experiences with Christianity :yes:

Try not to let it ruin your relationship with your flatmates though. You say you were all "out last night", so I assume there may have been some drinking involved, and people are loud, obtuse and more frank than usual when drunk. It's possible that whilst sober, they'd have no problem with you being a Christian! Figure out what you want to do next but don't let this incident alone (unless it was really derogatory or inciting religious hatred) bar you from building up friendships :nah:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending