The Student Room Group

Anyone actually satisfied with there UK uni pandemic start...

Just wondering 😂.
Been reading alot of horror stories.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’ve been here a week, I’m happy enjoying independence but now Cardiff is going into local lockdown I want to go home again, whilst I can(legally)
Original post by Annon57
I’ve been here a week, I’m happy enjoying independence but now Cardiff is going into local lockdown I want to go home again, whilst I can(legally)

wow what a mess, hope you make it home safe! Though i'm sure you will lol, as students are NOT a covid-19 risk group, despite being treated like we are all gonna die.
Reply 3
Original post by Realitysreflexx
wow what a mess, hope you make it home safe! Though i'm sure you will lol, as students are NOT a covid-19 risk group, despite being treated like we are all gonna die.

No one is treating students as a high-risk group but as a high-irresponsibility group.

It's turned into a mess because some students are emotionally immature and unable to act responsibilty. Perhaps they shouldn't have chosen university in the first place.
I'm due to start again on Monday and I can't say my university has done anything particularly wrong. It's more the idiots still having flat parties that I'm more concerned about.
Original post by Alstoo
No one is treating students as a high-risk group but as a high-irresponsibility group.

It's turned into a mess because some students are emotionally immature and unable to act responsibilty. Perhaps they shouldn't have chosen university in the first place.

Responsibility for what exactly?

Sending positive cases back into care homes after being hit as the last European country (valuable weeks of lessons on the news) 😅. Significant because its about 60-70% of UK viral deaths.

The UK government not getting track and trace in order all summer vacation...

Or rather the inability to provide tests without people traveling hundreds of miles from home spreading the rona.

Such an unbalanced and one sided statement, let's blame the 18 yr olds for wanting to bond.... At the place in life they have been told their entire lives is revolutionary because the UK government can't get anything right 😂.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by MidgetFever
I'm due to start again on Monday and I can't say my university has done anything particularly wrong. It's more the idiots still having flat parties that I'm more concerned about.

Maybe not piling up students into student accomodation, when they know it isn't covid-19 secure. Because frankly student accomodation is built upon the economics of close quarters per m2. Not infection control.

Responsible would have been biting the financial bullet and only offering @home online lectures.
Responsibility for what exactly?

Sending positive cases back into care homes after being hit as the last European country (valuable weeks of lessons on the news) 😅. Significant because its about 60-70% of UK viral deaths.

The UK government not getting track and trace in order all summer vacation...

Or rather the inability to provide tests without people traveling hundreds of miles from home spreading the rona.

Such an unbalanced and one sided statement, let's blame the 18 yr olds for wanting to bond.... At the place in life they have been told their entire lives is revolutionary because the UK government can't get anything right 😂.

I thought you were no longer in the UK? If so why would you care?

Responsible for following government guidelines and social distancing, so as not to take undue risks in spreading the virus.
Original post by 999tigger
I thought you were no longer in the UK? If so why would you care?

Responsible for following government guidelines and social distancing, so as not to take undue risks in spreading the virus.

I have right to remain and right to care, I'm also doing a second online master's in the UK actually.

Just because I'm not physically in the country doesn't mean i don't enjoy the show 😂.
Reply 9
Can't stand online stuff, but objectively it seems about as well done as could be expected.

Hopefully the students on degrees requiring more practical teaching will still be able to get it.
I have right to remain and right to care, I'm also doing a second online master's in the UK actually.

Just because I'm not physically in the country doesn't mean i don't enjoy the show 😂.

But thats because you are a disingenuous tool. Your whole thread is set up to try and make something of people who may be having a bad time.
Original post by Neilos
Can't stand online stuff, but objectively it seems about as well done as could be expected.

Hopefully the students on degrees requiring more practical teaching will still be able to get it.

I've been doing a blended master's for about a month now, and honestly to me it's really not all that different... I enjoy the one in person lecture a week and like for a consulting block module we get to do company visits. (But i am on a distant star, in the Netherlands).

But comparing it to online last year.... About the same a the UK. Maybe slightly better since we use something called Nestor and Colloborate, rather than Moodle. But very similar.

But it's not too bad since the majority of exams are now online open book.

Which arguably makes it easier.
My former university treated me reasonably during the initial lockdown: reasonable adjustment to exams, waived rent for the final term, provided information in about as timely and complete a manner as the circumstances allowed.

Now I am at another university for my PhD and although they were a little slow at providing information (this wound me up at the time because I was getting stressed waiting, but with the information I have now I can see they were doing about as well as could be expected in the circumstances), there have been no major issues, indeed they were very understanding about e.g. changes to the format of my transcript.
But thats because you are a disingenuous tool. Your whole thread is set up to try and make something of people who may be having a bad time.

And your the rather rude moral apostle, generally your much wiser and i would back down but i feel right now your being rather silly in caring yourself, it's a place for people to voice their opinions. Why are you so concerned 😂. Or are you so deeply engrained in a singular pro universiy culture that your offended at being critical about their actions/UK government... In the sense of debate.

Or am i breaking some law here?
Original post by 15Characters...
My former university treated me reasonably during the initial lockdown: reasonable adjustment to exams, waived rent for the final term, provided information in about as timely and complete a manner as the circumstances allowed.

Now I am at another university for my PhD and although they were a little slow at providing information (this wound me up at the time because I was getting stressed waiting, but with the information I have now I can see they were doing about as well as could be expected in the circumstances), there have been no major issues, indeed they were very understanding about e.g. changes to the format of my transcript.

Yeah I'm still awaiting my login details for my online (distance) UK master myself, but i can understand with the undergrads starting this week, it's hectic. But i did get an email back from them saying it's in the works so I'm not going to mark them down.

Course starts on October 5th so their is still time.
Maybe not piling up students into student accomodation, when they know it isn't covid-19 secure. Because frankly student accomodation is built upon the economics of close quarters per m2. Not infection control.

Responsible would have been biting the financial bullet and only offering @home online lectures.

I mean, I agree to a certain extent. You have to consider the financial implications of that too though, universities make a significant portion of their money from student accommodation. My university had closed student accommodation back in March when the first lockdown started and subsequently had to lay off a lot of teaching and administrative staff as a result, all who had been working extremely hard in working out the ins and outs of this online teaching in the first place.

These decisions are not easy decisions to make - a lot of institutions are having to find a balance with keeping everything financially stable yet somehow in such a way that doesn't aggravate the Covid situation.
And your the rather rude moral apostle, generally your much wiser and i would back down but i feel right now your being rather silly in caring yourself, it's a place for people to voice their opinions. Why are you so concerned 😂. Or are you so deeply engrained in a singular pro universiy culture that your offended at being critical about their actions/UK government... In the sense of debate.

Or am i breaking some law here?

You dont do debate though. You are just an ungracious ex visitor who was always slating the UK when you were here and continue to do so. You arent in the UK anymore go and spout about your own country.
You dont do debate though. You are just an ungracious ex visitor who was always slating the UK when you were here and continue to do so. You arent in the UK anymore go and spout about your own country.

Wow, ok, but guess what i have a UK degree (Russell Group), i have UK friends, i'm enrolled in UK higher education (still). Wait why am i justifying this to you? Who exactly are you, some lonely old pro Brexit man, with a beer belly the size of a local lockdown. You always leave elongated answers to people they can't even read half the time also lmao, like your some sort of academic god. If you even studied it was probably decades ago at this point.

And if you had a real job would you be on hear all day moaning?
Reply 18
Our place is quite good so far, but for the past two weeks there have been only us and the DPhil lot here. I don't know what the next few weeks will look like n the ground, but I think I can largely avoid most of the messing about because only 2 days a week are in the department (which is super strict, super clean, and super organised).

Online has been grim though. I was on teams for 8.5 hours the other day Awful
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
Our place is quite good s far, but for the past two weeks there have been only us and the DPhil lot here. I don't know what the next few weeks will look like n the ground, but I think I can largely avoid most of the messing about because only 2 days a eek are in the department (which is super strict, super clean, and super organised).

Online has been grim though. I was on teams for 8.5 hours the other day Awful

yes, you do spend all day in some form of meeting, almost more time than you did in traditional lectures i've found lol. At least from the student side of things, i'd imagine at PhD even worse....since you likely have teaching responsibilities? or research discussions.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending