The Student Room Group

Type Lecture Notes or hand write lecture notes?

Hi, im currently in my second year of studying a primary education with QTS degree at uni and im still unsure whether i should be typing lecture notes not handwriting them. Last year i wrotes all my lecture notes and it was VERY time consuming as i would always have to go back to the lectures in my own time to catch up on anything i missed during the actual lecture. so this year i decided to type up all my notes but im being told that its not a good idea so im very conflicted right now :frown:. i also thought it was necessary to mention that my course doesnt have any exams, so anything i do write down will be used for my training files and to help me with assignments. also, almost all my lectures are online, i thought i should add that too. Is anyone also studying the BEd2 course and can give me any advice? or does anyone in general have any advice? Thanks x
(edited 3 years ago)
What was the reasoning for it not being a good idea?
Reply 2
Original post by Ramipril
What was the reasoning for it not being a good idea?

some people ive spoken to abou this are saying that its not a good idea becasue rewriting notes from lecture powerpoints are as good as just having the powerpoint there so it might be a waste of time. also, its harder to retain information when notes are typed verses when they are handwritten
Original post by starphea
some people ive spoken to abou this are saying that its not a good idea becasue rewriting notes from lecture powerpoints are as good as just having the powerpoint there so it might be a waste of time. also, its harder to retain information when notes are typed verses when they are handwritten

I guess it depends on how you end up using your notes. I used to handwrite my notes but it took way too long in the long run and I tend to use my notes as reference, so retaining the information in that moment wasn't very useful. Now I type all my notes up, based on the lecture powerpoints so I know which areas to cover, but with things much better explained/explained in a way I can understand easily in the future. It's much quicker and I don't get hand cramp. Also, the more hand cramped I am and tired I am, the worse my handwriting gets. I also don't like to be carrying wads of paper around. My notes are typed up and saved in dropbox so wherever I am I can refer to them either via my phone, tablet or laptop. But again, it depends on how you study and what you use your notes for.
Reply 5
Original post by Ramipril
I guess it depends on how you end up using your notes. I used to handwrite my notes but it took way too long in the long run and I tend to use my notes as reference, so retaining the information in that moment wasn't very useful. Now I type all my notes up, based on the lecture powerpoints so I know which areas to cover, but with things much better explained/explained in a way I can understand easily in the future. It's much quicker and I don't get hand cramp. Also, the more hand cramped I am and tired I am, the worse my handwriting gets. I also don't like to be carrying wads of paper around. My notes are typed up and saved in dropbox so wherever I am I can refer to them either via my phone, tablet or laptop. But again, it depends on how you study and what you use your notes for.

this is really helpful :smile: thank you so much!
I think you’ve got to do what suits you best!

No one learns / revises in the same way.

I personally hand write because I can hand write quicker than I can type (purely because I scribble everywhere and make it messy haha).

As long as you can read your notes then you’re fine!

It’s a good idea for revision to try and condense notes too... you could possibly hand write originally, and then type condensed notes or vice versa?

If hand writing is too time consuming I’d say to definitely type! Just because your course mates prefer hand doesn’t mean you should! And while it may be that statistically people retain info better when reading hand written, if it’s messy then it’s not true!

Now all my lectures are online I actually type 99% of them! I only hand write when theyre speaking super fast and I can’t keep up 😂

Just make sure to back everything up!! I save my files onto word, onto a USB and send them to myself on google docs / gmail because i don’t want to lose them haha x
Reply 7
Original post by The University of Law Students
I think you’ve got to do what suits you best!

No one learns / revises in the same way.

I personally hand write because I can hand write quicker than I can type (purely because I scribble everywhere and make it messy haha).

As long as you can read your notes then you’re fine!

It’s a good idea for revision to try and condense notes too... you could possibly hand write originally, and then type condensed notes or vice versa?

If hand writing is too time consuming I’d say to definitely type! Just because your course mates prefer hand doesn’t mean you should! And while it may be that statistically people retain info better when reading hand written, if it’s messy then it’s not true!

Now all my lectures are online I actually type 99% of them! I only hand write when theyre speaking super fast and I can’t keep up 😂

Just make sure to back everything up!! I save my files onto word, onto a USB and send them to myself on google docs / gmail because i don’t want to lose them haha x

thank you so much for this reply, this is really useful. i always compare myself to others and get worried when im not doing what everyone else is doing becasue i feel like im doing something wriong - but i will try to focus on what works best for me xx
Original post by starphea
Hi, im currently in my second year of studying a primary education with QTS degree at uni and im still unsure whether i should be typing lecture notes not handwriting them. Last year i wrotes all my lecture notes and it was VERY time consuming as i would always have to go back to the lectures in my own time to catch up on anything i missed during the actual lecture. so this year i decided to type up all my notes but im being told that its not a good idea so im very conflicted right now :frown:. i also thought it was necessary to mention that my course doesnt have any exams, so anything i do write down will be used for my training files and to help me with assignments. also, almost all my lectures are online, i thought i should add that too. Is anyone also studying the BEd2 course and can give me any advice? or does anyone in general have any advice? Thanks x

Hi @starphea

Everyone learns differently so do the method which you prefer the most. I used to print of the lecture slides and then write all the extra stuff the lecturer said on the handouts. This helped as I didn't have to write everything out. A lot of my friends did the exact same thing but they typed the notes onto the PowerPoint.

Good luck!

Zaira :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending