The Student Room Group

Further Maths A Level

How good would you say do you have to be at GCSE maths (maths in general tbh) to be able to do well in Further maths? Also do you think Further Maths is harder than Physics? :0

Thanks!
Reply 1
Further maths is difficult so I would say you should aim for a grade 8/9 (better to have a grade 9) in your GCSES. I don't take physics so I can't really compare them. You need to really love maths to go for further maths and it's best to take it if it helps you in your career choice.
Original post by g.ana
Further maths is difficult so I would say you should aim for a grade 8/9 (better to have a grade 9) in your GCSES. I don't take physics so I can't really compare them. You need to really love maths to go for further maths and it's best to take it if it helps you in your career choice.

Sorry just out of interest what other subject(s) do you take? :smile:
I do Maths Further Maths Physics and Chemistry.
Further Maths is indeed hard - which degrees do you want to do?
And which Unis
Original post by Destinex
And which Unis

those r exactly the same subjects as me!
what yr ru in
Original post by vix.xvi
those r exactly the same subjects as me!
what yr ru in

Year 13 :smile: - u?
Year 13 :smile: - u?

Original post by vix.xvi

Good luck!
Good luck!

Thanks and u!!
Reply 9
And which Unis

I’m thinking of going into Economics at uni. Ive heard quite a few unis prefer people having done further maths, but I’m not really sure which uni I’d like to go to yet though :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by g.ana

Ah okay! Thanks so much for the advice :smile:
Original post by aesamira
How good would you say do you have to be at GCSE maths (maths in general tbh) to be able to do well in Further maths? Also do you think Further Maths is harder than Physics? :0

Thanks!

I know a guy who got a b in gcse maths and got A’s in maths and further maths alevels. I don’t think it really matters what grade you get at gcse. Of course it helps if you can get b and above because it’ll show the teachers you have some aptitude to do alevel further maths.

Do further maths if you enjoy maths and find it fun. It’s for those people. It’s not for people who just want to get an alevel in it because it will make them look good. It will require a lot of time, patience and love.
Reply 12
Conceptually, further maths is the hardest, but I would say that in physics it is harder to get a very high mark. This is because usually in further maths any valid method usually gets you full marks, but in A-level physics you have to sort of train yourself to answer how the mark scheme requires.
And which Unis

Hey I do maths and was wondering if you have any notes for mechanics because I’m struggling to understand it as I don’t do physics - I’m also in year 13
Reply 14
Original post by boulderingislife
I know a guy who got a b in gcse maths and got A’s in maths and further maths alevels. I don’t think it really matters what grade you get at gcse. Of course it helps if you can get b and above because it’ll show the teachers you have some aptitude to do alevel further maths.

Do further maths if you enjoy maths and find it fun. It’s for those people. It’s not for people who just want to get an alevel in it because it will make them look good. It will require a lot of time, patience and love.

Yeah I totally agree with you on that! If I do it I’d be willing to put in the time and effort for it - and I mostly enjoy maths as well

Thanks you for the reply and advice! :smile:
Yeah I totally agree with you on that! If I do it I’d be willing to put in the time and effort for it - and I mostly enjoy maths as well

Thanks you for the reply and advice! :smile:

I remember when I was doing alevel maths and f maths I used to live and breathe maths. :biggrin:. I used to do maths questions for fun :redface:. I think if you find maths fun, and see it as an exciting thing, not a chore, it’ll really help and will make the subject easy. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Sinnoh
Conceptually, further maths is the hardest, but I would say that in physics it is harder to get a very high mark. This is because usually in further maths any valid method usually gets you full marks, but in A-level physics you have to sort of train yourself to answer how the mark scheme requires.

Agreed, I read that physics is more about applying the skills and knowledge in a specific way to suit the mark scheme so it can be seen as harder in that sense, but overall all A levels are hard in their own way I guess. Thanks so much for the reply! :smile:
I’m thinking of going into Economics at uni. Ive heard quite a few unis prefer people having done further maths, but I’m not really sure which uni I’d like to go to yet though :smile:

Competitive unis especially LSE want further maths, so yes it's desirable.

Original post by Studentuser131
Hey I do maths and was wondering if you have any notes for mechanics because I’m struggling to understand it as I don’t do physics - I’m also in year 13

I don't really have lengthy notes, but to be honest, just do LOADS of questions, on physicsandmathstutor.com - there's only so many ways they can ask you about a pulley.

Quick Reply

Latest